XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in 99 XK8

Old 08-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant in 99 XK8

In my 99 I just too a 500 mile round trip. Car ran great. I had a small issue that I need to know if it is normal. Before I left I checked everything but coolant. I have used the car 800 miles since I bought it and checked everything in November. On the way home my low coolant words came on and the red light on curves. It went away and I was freaking out as I wasn't sure if I would make it home. It was pouring so I didn't want to get the engine compartment wet. I just woke up and I filled the coolant reservoir but it was only about an inch and a half below the neck. Is that normal? Should I get the sensor checked? I am surprised that the lights came on when it wasn't that low and when the red light comes on I was waiting for limp mode to kick in but I got home fine and the temp gauge stayed in the middle. A bit nerve wracking but all good. Do these cars use coolant?
Thanks
Jack
99 XK8 53,000 miles

Old 08-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

The warning light will come on if it is that low below the bottom of the opening. Mine was going off recently and it was not as low as you say yours was. Unless you have an issue the car should not be using coolant. You prob have a slow leak and the recent long trip exposed it some. Check the obvious things, leaks around the hoses, water pump, the seem of the coolant tank/expansion tank. Mine was bleeding off. Went ahead and replaced several things since the car was new to me and has 95k on it.
My t-stat housing was leaking, I knew that when I got it, there was orange residue on it in places (rad fluid in mine is orange). I replaced my tstat housing, the radiator hoses and that expansion tank. When I took mine off I got clearly see the seam around the tank was bleeding off coolant, it was crusty orange. The level sensor on the bottom, it was look and had orange residue on it also. Fixed all that and thus far she has been fine, no lights, level staying in the same place in expansion tank. Even though you have low miles the car is still older, if it has the orig plastic tstat housing I would look close at that, go ahead and replace, it is EASY and they make a alum unit for the pre 2003 models that is cheap as far as cost. Otherwise check below the front of the carm under the water pump see if see any signs of recent leakage.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

These cars do NOT use coolant.

The Coolant Level Sensor in the base of the Expansion Tank is a regular issue for sticking. You will find plenty of threads on this topic.

The Temperature Gauge is absolutely useless. It stays in the middle until the engine is well overheated and overheating is a Jaguar V8 engine killer. Forum member WhiteXKR has a very good solution to this gauge issue:

XK8 / XKR / XJ RealGauge - TheJagWrangler

Graham

Old 08-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

To read the actual temp (and other useful info) you can also use a cheap-ish device like this:

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Dave

Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 99 coolant

I should step back. I bought the car with 76,000 miles on it and it had a blown motor. I bought a motor with 53,000 miles on it that was gone over and had a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty as long as a Jaguar shop did the engine job. My friend owns the shop and took care of everything and I was there everyday watching the work get done. On The new motor I had the timing chain, guides, tensioners, water pump, belt, thermostat, thermostat, housing, gaskets, anti knock line, motor mounts, oil, filter, anti freeze, tranny fluid, brake fluid, all replaced and more. This was in October 2013 and 1400 miles ago. I have had no incidents with anything since I picked it up except a wheel sensor go bad and the rear license plate lamp bulbs go bad. There are no leaks anywhere under the car (in May I brought it into a Jaguar dealer for the plate bulbs and wheel sensor as my friend didn't have a working ABS code reader and they also went over the car. No leaks and passed with flying colours). I checked the car today and dry as a bone after I added 1/8 gallon of anti freeze. I don't think that 1/8 of a gallon should cause the lights to go off or make it overheat, but I am asking so I know if everyone else here has a similar situation. All cars use a little coolant throughout the year, I was curious how much a 99 Jaguar used. Now since I filled it to the bottom of the cap I know where the fluid is for next check. Is there any way to get a reliable oil pressure and temp gauge for these cars since I hear that they are both useless. I love this car and I have owned over 30 Jaguars in my life. I also own a 1967 E-Type open top and I have always had an E-type since 1965. I also have always done my own work and I know cars pretty well but my age is catching up to me.
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by xkeots; 08-22-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by xkeots
Is there any way to get a reliable oil pressure and temp gauge for these cars since I hear that they are both useless.
As Graham mentioned above, you want the JagWrangler RealGauge mods. He has a fix for both the temp and oil gauges. Recommended by many forum members, including me.

Installed them myself. Comes with very good instructions and excellent support from Steve.