Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Cooling System leaks

Hi Guys,
Looking at slow leak under pressure and hope you can give me some experience advise on this one. 97 xk8 that is new to me

Looks like the water outlet pipe (black plastic) has a very small leak near one pipe to flange also looks like they didn't get a good seal on one side. Time to buy a new pipe I think and the two seals that it mounts with. Any advice on this part? Sealants or such, will they bolt up with just the O-ring seal?

PO also had a water pump put on not that long ago and it looks like it is getting wet along a seal that would be internal along the seam where if you opened you would be the actual blade. Looking at pics of new ones online they have two bolts holding the back on. Can you get both seals and reinstall a water pump successfully?

If anyone has pointers on this one I would appreciate it.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I would replace the WP (prev job not done right?) and the complete tstat housing. OEM pump is only 60 bucks. Make sure you get the one with the O-RING and metal gasket. For you car they make the upgraded metal tstat housing now.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

A replacement cross over pipe comes with the seals and does not need additional sealant.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

The crossover pipes become very brittle with age and can easily develop cracks. So this likely a common problem.

Dave

Old 03-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Your car is 18 years old. Unless you have convincing documentation of coolant system work done in the past few years it is time for a complete rebuild. Upper and lower coolant hoses, cross over pipe (save the old temp sensor), water pump housing and, of course, a complete drain, flush and refill of the coolant. Your choice on the recent water pump.

Because there is not an effective way to catch the draining coolant it is much more efficient to do everything at one time.

The water pump housing now comes in aluminum which is not only much more permanent than the original plastic but it cost less. The bright aluminum will look really out of place on an otherwise black engine and will corrode into an ugly grey. Paint it black before installation. The back two bolts on the housing are the most difficult part of all this. Search for 'bent wrench'.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar!

Old 03-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I replaced the temp sensor also. Was only a $5 part thats used on many other cars also.

Dave

Old 03-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Your car is 18 years old. Unless you have convincing documentation of coolant system work done in the past few years it is time for a complete rebuild. Upper and lower coolant hoses, cross over pipe (save the old temp sensor), water pump housing and, of course, a complete drain, flush and refill of the coolant. Your choice on the recent water pump.

Because there is not an effective way to catch the draining coolant it is much more efficient to do everything at one time.

The water pump housing now comes in aluminum which is not only much more permanent than the original plastic but it cost less. The bright aluminum will look really out of place on an otherwise black engine and will corrode into an ugly grey. Paint it black before installation. The back two bolts on the housing are the most difficult part of all this. Search for 'bent wrench'.

Tom, you meant the thermostat housing, I'm sure.

The following users liked this post:
test point (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Indeed! Thermostat housing! Fingers faster than brain.

Thanks.

Last edited by test point; 03-08-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 PM

Documented water pump and all hoses 2 1/2 years ago 15K miles. I didn't see the water pipe replaced at that time, so must be older. So I ordered a new one from SNG Barrat today, and it shipped same day WOW..first order and pleased how quick they got it out. I recently purchased the car and it had both engine mounts bad, and they was probably putting much more stress on the plastic as well.

The thermostat housing is one of the all aluminum models, and thermostat is also relatively new.

On the water pump that is fairly recent, not sure what name brand but must be aftermarket at the $98 bill they charged but it looks like the gasket in the middle is just paper and no signs of gasket sealant on it and leaking under pressure when engine is hot. My guess is they just didn't seal it right in manufacturing. I will check on buying a new water pump, BRGJAG where are you buying $60 pump please PM me on that one.

Now this is getting kind of like the suspension rebuild, if I am pulling water pump and I also have some leaking cam covers....it seems like I am getting very close to doing the timing chain rebuild. That adds a few dollars to the leaking project, not sure I am ready to take that one on just yet.

Thanks for all the replies guys very helpful.

Last edited by TexMurphy; 03-08-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: One more item
Old 03-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I got mine from AMAZON, 11/2014 I paid 45.99 before shipping, it is a few bucks more now but here is a link to it. ACDelco 252-800 model. Looked just like the one I pulled off my 03 when I redid it.
Amazon.com: ACDelco 252-800 Professional Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 252-800 Professional Water Pump: Automotive

TexMurphy (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Water pipe from SNG came in with new temp sensor and seals looks great. Waiting for the water pump to arrive today, ordered the AC Delco suggested. Hopefully the sealant I see the last guys used will come off easy enough so I can get a good seal. Some type of silver looking sealant, hope it is closer to silicon than two part epoxy.
I also picked up a new cross over hose at the parts store under $4 seemed like a smart move to replace while there, it surprises me how thin these are as I was expecting thicker.

Thanks guys for the tips and sharing your experience on parts, hopefully this puts the cooling system to bed for a while, as balance of hoses and thermostat are only a couple years old. Then I can focus on the oil leaks at cam covers and do secondary tensioners, then oil pan swap at next oil change. I can see the end of weekends working and feel safe driving, spring is here in Texas.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,783 Posts

When you have time, it is extremely important that you remove at least one of the cam covers to inspect the secondary timing chain tensioner. If the tensioner has a plastic body, or that plastic body is cracked, the primary and secondary timing chains along with the guides and tensioners must be replaced to avoid catastrophic engine failure.

TexMurphy (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Thanks NB,
On my list for next weekend to fix oil leaks and install new tensioner. Still only short test drives.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

See if this information helps.

Link Water pump and crossover pipe JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link Thermostat housing JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

TexMurphy (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 09:07 PM

Got my parts ready for in the morning, thanks for all the suggestions.
Got the AC Delco pump, made really well with all the gaskets and o-ring for about $52 on Amazon as suggested, has the metal impeller. I think the current AF looks green although a little thin as I had to add some water.

What do you think, drain and flush with distilled and refill with green or do a flush of overflow tank and switch to Dex-cool?

Old 03-13-2016, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by test point

I am looking at some upgrades and the thermostat housing is one of them. I have seen many different prices on the aluminum housings and am wondering if there are different makers of these housings or are the price differences due just to the sellers?

Old 03-13-2016, 07:51 AM

Hey Mark,

That is a good question, mine is already been upgraded by PO however looking at parts catalogs I do see one distributor showing URO brand in a kit and premium kit. Not sure what the difference could be other than finishing. Maybe one comes with new thermostat.

Quick search just now yielded a smoking deal on them from Welsh. I have purchased a top shock mount from them they make I really liked the way it was built for a life time replacement.
They must be over stocked since there is no way you can buy or make something like this for such a low price and free shipping. That makes it under $20 for the part. Crazy cheap I might buy one just to have it in the home parts bin.
Jaguar XJ8 XK8 Aluminum Thermostat Housing Kit AJ82217 | eBay

SNG not to be out done also has the part.
Jaguar XJ8 XK8 uprated Aluminum Thermostat Housing Kit AJ82217 100 Feedback | eBay

Anyone considering this upgrade should do it, at this price with the next AF flush.

jrstn (03-15-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I did the change on both my XJ8 and XK8. The XJ was first and I went with the less expensive one. Ended up having to hand sand the cap sealing surface flat to get the casting flashes off. The the O-Ring wouldn't seal. I had to cut a flat piece of rubber for a gasket. There is a definite difference in quality. I went with Welsh Enterprises on the XK8 and had a smooth install.
There is a lot of info about bent wrenches and things to get the back bolts out without removing the intake manifold. A much easier way is to cut up the plastic housing to provide clearance and use a socket to remove the bolts. When reinstalling replace the rear fasteners with socket head allen screws and it is a piece of cake.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:16 AM

Mark,
There is some good advice so they are not all created equal so go with a parts source that a forum buddy can give you a referral.
Great advice Vern.

Map53 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 PM

Well tore into it today and was successful fixing my issues. New water pump was more like oem except metal blades. The water outlet pipe was a perfect fit, old one had been reinstalled with old o-rings and lots of sealant, not a good thing. So I will post more in my main adventure page.

Here is something I can add that I notice the last mechanic didn't pay attention to. If someone else worked on your car and possibly if you did your own ***Check the clearance between the upper radiator hose and the electrical connection on the end of valve cover. Mine was rubbing and in time would have been a disaster, lucky for me the hose wasn't changed too many miles ago and only was a slight rub when I found it.***

Thanks for all the advice.