Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of issues-valet, key

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My car also only came with a Valet Key. Every time I have had to disconnect Battery to do work on the car I tape a piece of Carboard over the Trunk Latch so Trunk can't be closed accidently. If the Trunk would happen to get closed with the Battery disconnected can I still hook up to the Jump Point under the Hood and open the Trunk using the release Button in the Car?

The following users liked this post:
TrevLevin04XKR (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by bobhoff
My car also only came with a Valet Key. Every time I have had to disconnect Battery to do work on the car I tape a piece of Carboard over the Trunk Latch so Trunk can't be closed accidently. If the Trunk would happen to get closed with the Battery disconnected can I still hook up to the Jump Point under the Hood and open the Trunk using the release Button in the Car?
I'm sure one of the other members will know the answer to that for you. I guess if you supply power to the car the key remote fob would work too in this case.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Honestly, while you are going through all of this, it is worth making flip keys instead of the old style fob.

Get a pair of flip remote/keys off of eBay. The remote can be programmed without any special tools. The procedure is referred to in the stickies. Fortunately with the later car, the remotes are cheap and available.

Next, get a pair of _cut_ tibbe 8-cut keys. You are interested in the stem part, already cut to your car. It does not have to have the transponder already, so ANY tibbe 8-cut will work, even the older XJ.

Next, get a pair of Megamos 48 transponders. Check they are compatible with Jaguar, but VW also works. Megamos 13 will definitely not work in the newer car.

Next, assemble it all. Stem has to be shortened and fit onto the fob/remote. 30 min in the garage if you are slow like me. Make the transponder stick in the housing.

Last, figure out a way to get all 3 keys programmed to the car. The easy answer is with the SDD "factory" software. It takes maybe 15 minutes. Dealer might charge an hour labor, but check yours and see if you can negotiate something. Other option is some form of after market hack key device the mobile locksmiths use. They typically come to you, for a fee, rarely cheap.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Honestly, while you are going through all of this, it is worth making flip keys instead of the old style fob.

Get a pair of flip remote/keys off of eBay. The remote can be programmed without any special tools. The procedure is referred to in the stickies. Fortunately with the later car, the remotes are cheap and available.

Next, get a pair of _cut_ tibbe 8-cut keys. You are interested in the stem part, already cut to your car. It does not have to have the transponder already, so ANY tibbe 8-cut will work, even the older XJ.

Next, get a pair of Megamos 48 transponders. Check they are compatible with Jaguar, but VW also works. Megamos 13 will definitely not work in the newer car.

Next, assemble it all. Stem has to be shortened and fit onto the fob/remote. 30 min in the garage if you are slow like me. Make the transponder stick in the housing.

Last, figure out a way to get all 3 keys programmed to the car. The easy answer is with the SDD "factory" software. It takes maybe 15 minutes. Dealer might charge an hour labor, but check yours and see if you can negotiate something. Other option is some form of after market hack key device the mobile locksmiths use. They typically come to you, for a fee, rarely cheap.

Thanks for that advice. Ok, so I have done some research. I found some chips and fobs however one thing concerned me, on some of the listings they mention "can only be programmed once" for a chip - I guess I will avoid those listings.
I have included a couple of screen grabs of the items I've found so far. Please check them and comment where required.

In the fob I found below do you think this is the correct one? It has the chip already installed also. This seems to be my best bet with the chip already in it.
It apparently doesn't support 2003 for some reason...not really important as mine's a 2004.5 MY so it should work. The actual ebay listing for the key fob is here https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BUTTON-RE...itleDesc=0%7C0
The price is right, only need to have it cut and programmed.

single chip

Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

There is a bit of black art as to what works, etc, but the megamos scheme has fortunately been pretty well documented by academics if you want to know the details, including the crypto setup.

The "program once" I believe is because the transponder comes blank only once. Once programmed with a secret, it is supposed to be locked by a "dealer" code. That dealer code is, to my knowledge, by brand, so megamos (Thales?) can sell the tech to more than one manufacturer. Once locked to Jaguar, in theory, a VW tool could not unlock it (although the code is sort of short and can be brute-forced). Once locked to Jaguar, it can be unlocked/programmed/locked any number of times. That megamos chip you listed looks right. Cheap, so consider buying a couple.

The fob looks right, but the embedded chip is not compatible with our cars. Once you open it, it will be obvious (bigger than the megamos 48). Vendors on eBay have 2-pack of these, too. Pretty inexpensive, so buy 2. The only seed of doubt in my mind is if somehow your country's frequencies are somehow different for these fobs. Check the back of the fobs you have and try to cross reference the numbers with these integrated fobs. Do you guys follow the European of US frequencies for this?

Also, the key stem on this fob is also wrong for our cars. This one is the tibbe 6-cut. You need the tibbe 8-cut, so you still need to procure a separate stem. Fortunately none of this is really expensive. A bit of legwork and you can end up with a nice setup.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:03 PM

I thought that tip looked shorter and may have been the 6-cut.
I didn't think of fob frequency...I only have one fob and only the Jaguar part number is shown on the back of it.
Ok, after some more research I've found that part number on my fob LJE2610-CC equates to 315 Mhz.
I can't seem to find 8-cut Tibbe stems to fit this style of fob. Can you help point me to 8 cut stems please? And once I get them how to insert them into case/fob...epoxy perhaps?
It would be great to see a how-to if anyone has done one.
I found a correct frequency but wrong chip and wrong tip/stem here ...will the new chip I buy fit into this easily or will the size be different perhaps?

I found this on transponders below...it seems mine will only work with Megamos Crypto 48 > ID48 > JMA : TP08 model transponders. (2000 - 2006 XKR)
from this site JAGUAR > TRANSPONDER CHIP CATALOGUE > KEY GUIDE

This is becoming a bit of a mission...

The following users liked this post:
frankc (08-10-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

This thread by pomosv may give you some pointers:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...67/#post712950

Old 08-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
This thread by pomosv may give you some pointers:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...67/#post712950
Thanks, I see it's pretty simple really. I would probably dremel away with a good diamond disc cutter bit by bit, slowly getting closer to it rather than heating.
The pin cut would be a crucial step too as any error here and it will just break out of the fob I would think if it were too loose and floppy. (Maybe drill through the blade itself to create a hole if it still rotates cleanly for the pin to really bite into)
This gives me something to think about...with one key I'm not sure I'll attempt it in this manner - but with a new uncut blade I will certainly and will only need to insert the new chip and blade.
Thanks gain...

Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

For the CUT blade, search "NEW Tibbe Key Cut To Code for Jaguar XJ6, Xk8, XJS, XJR, Vanden Plus, Sovereign" on eBay, from vendor carlocksandkeys. These come without transponders. Then you have to melt/discard the handle to free the blade. You need some minor trim to the blade to fit the flip fob (made a bit shorter and rework the notch a bit with a hack saw). The body of the fob also needs minor trimming. Don't overthink the blade/pin setup. Once in front of you, it is pretty obvious. I believe I used a section of the stem of a rivet I had lying around, and pressed it in with a bench vise. No need for glue/epoxy, etc. There is plenty of room in the body of the fob for the new transponder. A dab of rtv works great. Probably 30 min total in the garage.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Apparently you can change the fob frequency:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...6/#post1136221

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
fmertz (08-09-2018), rothwell (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
For the CUT blade, search "NEW Tibbe Key Cut To Code for Jaguar XJ6, Xk8, XJS, XJR, Vanden Plus, Sovereign" on eBay, from vendor carlocksandkeys. These come without transponders. Then you have to melt/discard the handle to free the blade. You need some minor trim to the blade to fit the flip fob (made a bit shorter and rework the notch a bit with a hack saw). The body of the fob also needs minor trimming. Don't overthink the blade/pin setup. Once in front of you, it is pretty obvious. I believe I used a section of the stem of a rivet I had lying around, and pressed it in with a bench vise. No need for glue/epoxy, etc. There is plenty of room in the body of the fob for the new transponder. A dab of rtv works great. Probably 30 min total in the garage.
Thanks!

Old 08-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Norri
Apparently you can change the fob frequency:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...6/#post1136221
Wow! That's interesting! So it's possible to change a 433Mhz fob to become a 315Mhz (for those that don't click on your helpful link) Cheers!

Old 08-09-2018, 04:42 PM

I thought I would post that process for those out of interest :
Copied from the link here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...6/#post1136221
All below is quoted from that listing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by
lfjeff
I just bought a replacement key fob off
Ebay for my 2003 Jaguar S-Type and at first it did not work. My auto locksmith tested the unit and said it was operating at 433 Mhz (which is for European cars). He said that most US remotes use 315 Mhz.

I was about to return the unit to the
Ebay seller, but he gave me this tip:

How to change Jaguar fob frequency from 433 Mhz to 315 Mhz.
1) Hold down the lock and unlock buttons
2) Press the panic button 3 times

After I learned this, I went back to my locksmith and got it to work on 315 Mhz. He's been in the business for over 10 years and had never heard of this trick. The Jag dealer wanted over $150 to reprogram a fob, but he charged me $50 (I came to his location, he didn't have to make a trip).

Hopefully this tip may be useful to others.
Yes I have just been
throu the same deal
I bought a new
chip / flip key and suplied the original keys part no# and he sent me a new key that arrived in record time ,unfourtunatly it would not pair with the car . My lock smith is the only jag key cutter within 450km of me , and he said the key is the rong one with the rong MHz transponder !
So I emailed the
ebay seller who gave me the same instuctions although by panic button I think you mean boot/trunk button! Just remember to not release the lock and unlock button until after the boot button has been pressed 3 times! This worked perfect ! And is now functioning well! It's a neat trick and my lock smith had never heard of this eather!
So I am now wondering if I can buy any old jag x type /
xj / xk key fob second hand and aply this to make it work obveastly with a new key tip cut and fitted , in witch my lock smith said the blank key tips for the flip fob are $10

Last edited by TrevLevin04XKR; 08-09-2018 at 04:45 PM.