XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coventry Whitley 17 inch

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Coventry Whitley 17 inch

I have a 97 vert with Chrome revolvers and two are pealing and have not had any luck finding low priced used matches. The previous owner bought new tires just before I bought it so I have like new 17 inch tires. I would like to continue to use them rather than buying both new wheels and tires., beside I like the ride of the 17 wheels. I like the Whitleys look and thinking of getting them in a 17x8 25 offset. Anyone else buy these for their car in this size and have any opinions to share.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

No experience on the XK, but I am currently running Coventry Whitley 17x8 42 offset with snow tires on my x350, and I like them. The ride is obviously much better than the 20's I had on there before. I think the wheel finish could be more durable, they do scrape fairly easy in my opinion. But over all I have been pretty pleased with them.

Here are the only pictures I have from a couple of years ago on a filthy car...

Name:  IMG_2983.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2985.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  65.7 KB

Last edited by chillyphilly; 02-16-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:01 AM

First time I heard anyone make a negative finish comment on them. Can you elaborate further? Are you having paint fade or fail without contact with a curb or something.

Your car looks nice as well as all pics of Whitley's mounted and it seems like the best manufacture for fit on Jags from what I have read.

Unless others have finish issues to comment on I was interested in finding out if anyone else mounted the 17x8 with 25 offset. I see them offering a n 18x8.5 20 offset so I am assuming the 17 would fit unless I am missing something like a brake issue or something.

I am open to suggestions that might be a better wheel to look at.

Last edited by TexMurphy; 02-17-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TexMurphy
I have a 97 vert with Chrome revolvers and two are pealing and have not had any luck finding low priced used matches. The previous owner bought new tires just before I bought it so I have like new 17 inch tires. I would like to continue to use them rather than buying both new wheels and tires., beside I like the ride of the 17 wheels. I like the Whitleys look and thinking of getting them in a 17x8 25 offset. Anyone else buy these for their car in this size and have any opinions to share.

Painting the "Revolvers" should be cheaper than to buy new rims..................

Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 AM

Not familiar with painting chrome wheels, but would imagine that would start with having to take the chrome off and not cheap to get a good finish that would hold up like the factory finish. Last thing I would want to do is end up with failing paint. I have considered trying to locate some other factory painted wheel and my spare is a painted revolver, but used is almost the same price as the conventry by the time you pay to ship them. The auto pickers don't give anything away.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM

No paint failing. I also have never curbed them. I use them for the winter months, and as such store them for part of the year. I typically have had a second set of wheels for most of the vehicles I have owned, so I'm not new to storing wheels. I have to be extra careful while moving these in and out of storage because the paint will mar easily if it comes in contact with just about anything (I'm talking rubber or cardboard contact, not metal). Not terrible scrapes, but definate marring. I don't recall other wheels I've owned being so delicate. I wouldn't discourage you from buying them, as I would consider another set of Coventry for ease of fitment and style myself, I've just noticed I have had to be extra careful with the finish.

If you look around Craigslist and such, you can typically find cheap 17 inch stock wheels, but you might have to wait til they pop up. Heck, I even saw a free set not too long ago on the west coast. Ofcourse, if you want a different look, then stocks won't do. I picked my wheels and tires up new for just under $1400, which really isn't bad for what I got.

As far as fit, I would be almost certain they would fit on yours. My x350 should have bigger brakes than your XK. When I was shopping for them, several of the companies I contacted or researched online recommended the 18's for brake clearance, while some said the 17's would fit. I took a chance and bought from a company that would not guarantee fitment of the 17's. I have almost no wiggle room on them, as the wheel weights almost hit the calipers. If your brakes are anything like the previous generation XJ8 (x308), then they'll fit.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Sounds like the clear coat on them must not be too hard if you are seeing card board leaving marks, especially with the protection of the tire on them. Since I will only be touching for cleaning and the occasional tire balancing I don't think the scratching type issue would be a problem if the paint itself is holding up well.

I have an inch or more clearance with the stock wheels so I couldn't see how the Coventry wheel would be made that differently to the inside measurement.

I have spent many an occasion doing searches on craigslist and ebay and have never seen anything under $100 for used revolver painted wheels and everything else has been more, so by the time you pay to ship it is getting close to new pricing.

If you catch the Whitley in 17 on sale it can be just over $700 for the wheels. Seems like the best way to go.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Not familiar with painting chrome wheels, but would imagine that would start with having to take the chrome off and not cheap to get a good finish that would hold up like the factory finish. Last thing I would want to do is end up with failing paint. I have considered trying to locate some other factory painted wheel and my spare is a painted revolver, but used is almost the same price as the conventry by the time you pay to ship them. The auto pickers don't give anything away.
A painter shop will do it, sandblasting, undercoating and painting - $400?

Old 02-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Dont think I would spend $400 to have painted revolvers, just okay looking in chrome not my pick. New whitleys on sale are about $700, there are some other new options cheaper.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:02 PM

Dont think I would spend $400 to have painted revolvers, just okay looking in chrome not my pick. New whitleys on sale are about $700, there are some other new options cheaper.
All a matter of taste, i spend 500 EUR to stay with refurbished "Revolvers"........

Last edited by toaster; 02-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I have a 97 vert with Chrome revolvers and two are pealing.
I had chrome wheels that came with the car when I bought it a couple of years ago. The chrome was in OK condition, but had sign of wear. I did some research, and quickly figured out there are not many options. Refinishing them involves shipping and restoration expenses well beyond what they are worth (and they were nice 19" Apollos). Home repairs involve electricity and dangerous chemicals in drums in some sort of pirate operation. Nobody around had anything good to say about sandblasting and repainting.

In the end, the only cheap "option" was to look into those plasti-dip processes involving a thick plastic layer, sprayed from a can, and available in lots of different colors. It is not expected to last much past a few months, and can be peeled off at home, just in time for when you are ready to try something else. I suppose black or silver would be OK for a while, or possibly for as long as these tires will last.

Good luck, hope you find something you like.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:14 PM
Default Sale price found should I go chrome or silver

Found a sale price on the Whitley

17x8 +25 This will push them out a little from stock +33 like the larger 18 inch sizes they sell that are like the later model cars stock wheels

Silver $615
Chrome $896

These are delivered to the house prices, seems like best price I have found so far.

What do you guys think about the price?

If you have Whitleys which did you buy and how have you liked them

Old 02-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

Tex - while I have 18's, my first thoughts were chrome but felt they would be too flashy so I initially ordered the hypersilver but with shipping damage to 3 out of the 4, they swapped them out for chrome - which aren't bad at all and I really like.

Price - looks good

Old 02-25-2017, 06:09 PM

Hi Steve
I had seen your pictures mine is the same color in 97 year, just about fixed all the bugs that came with it and really close on the fresh paint time.
Thanks

Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 PM

Hey Tex, did you ever pull the trigger on the Whitleys? I'm getting the wheel bug again myself, this time for the XK. Where did you find such a good price on the Whitleys?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I know this is an older post, but ...

Originally Posted by sklimii
Tex - while I have 18's, my first thoughts were chrome but felt they would be too flashy so I initially ordered the hypersilver but with shipping damage to 3 out of the 4, they swapped them out for chrome - which aren't bad at all and I really like.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 AM

WA - my signature pic shows the 18" Chrome Whitley's

The following users liked this post:
WAFlowers (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 AM

Beautiful! Thank you sklimii.

My wife says they would look great on my car.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM

WAFlowers - better get that order placed - before the wife changes her mind!!

Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
WAFlowers - better get that order placed - before the wife changes her mind!!
She said "Christmas is coming ... Eventually"