XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Button always on

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cruise Control Button always on

As I have posted too many different issues and questions in my original post (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2002-a-203480/) I decided to break them down in seperate posts, so we can focus on one problem per post. I hope that´s alright.

While driving to the workshop today, I realized that the cruise control was on.
I tried to disengage, but the button would not let me - no matter what mode or gear I was in. I could push the button down, but it would not switch off Cruise Control.

Any ideas what might be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance,
Berglmir

Old 06-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Good idea to separate. My first thought would be a bad switch.

Don't know if you've taken the faceplate that holds the cc switch off before. Gosh I just realized they moved one or two buttons from the console to the steering wheel. Not sure about your year.

If like mine, it's right next to the sport button on the console, I'd unclip this plate and disconnect the switch.

I suppose you'd then have to drive it to ensure this disconnected ccontrol. If so = bad switch.

After typing all that I realized I forgot to ask: how do you know it's on, lit button? Does button light in either position?

You can disassemble the console buttons to evaluate the workings of the innards.

Bergilmir please confirm or describe the location of the ccontrol button, and what tells you it won't turn off, so that guys with older cars like me can help you. If in 2002 they moved this to a soft switch on steering wheel = different approach needed.

John

Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Good idea to separate. My first thought would be a bad switch.

Don't know if you've taken the faceplate that holds the cc switch off before. Gosh I just realized they moved one or two buttons from the console to the steering wheel. Not sure about your year.

If like mine, it's right next to the sport button on the console, I'd unclip this plate and disconnect the switch.

I suppose you'd then have to drive it to ensure this disconnected ccontrol. If so = bad switch.

After typing all that I realized I forgot to ask: how do you know it's on, lit button? Does button light in either position?

You can disassemble the console buttons to evaluate the workings of the innards.

Bergilmir please confirm or describe the location of the Thanks Johnccontrol button, and what tells you it won't turn off, so that guys with older cars like me can help you. If in 2002 they moved this to a soft switch on steering wheel = different approach needed.

John
Thanks for your reply John, and thanks also for reminding me to be more specific.
My Cruise Control button (no Adaptive CC in my car) is on the J-.Shifter, left from the Sport-Mode Button.
I need to push this button to be able to use the controls on my steering wheel (+/-/Resume/Cancel).
When it´s active, the button is elevated/raised and a red light is glowing.
Normally I could push this button again, the light will stop and the button sits more closely to the trim /depressed.

So today, I noticed the button was raised and the light was shining and I could not get the button to stay in the "off-mode" i.e. depressed, no light.
I was just driving a very short way so I cannot say if I was able to actually set a speed, but I will do so, when I get my car back in a week or so (*Sigh*)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Ok great now we are centered thanks. Sounds exactly like a faulty switch. It just won't lock in the depressed position.

Could one fix it by removing, disassemble switch? Maybe, but imo it'll be fortunate. Otoh trying is free.

The switch is plastic, springs, and copper conductors. Once you get it out it will come apart. Just do it over a bucket. Don't want to lose small parts.

How to remove? Need to unlatch the 4 plastic pieces that protrude down into the metal support below.

Use a credit card or 2. No metal tools here. Rev Sam has good video on utube for this.

It is the kind of job that will take a while the 1st time you do it. Super easy 2nd time.

Do you want to try It? Fiddling around down there may just cure the problem. Wouldn't be the 1st time.

Sidebar: Just occurred to me. Try pushing it down and forward or backward or laterally at same time. The small movements may just allow the latching mechanism to catch.

If you decide to remove the button, tell us I have photo to help.

John

Old 06-18-2018, 10:09 AM

Thanks again for the input.
Let´s see if the problem has magically gone away the next time I drive the car.
Otherwise I will attempt to try your fix.

Cheers muchly!
Berglmir

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Why even mess with it? Unless you set the speed with the steering wheel buttons the cruise control is inactive.

On my 06 the cruise control is on when the the light is out and switch raised. Push it in and the speed limiter is activated. This allows setting an upper speed limit which will not be exceeded if I depress the pedal further.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
Why even mess with it? Unless you set the speed with the steering wheel buttons the cruise control is inactive.

On my 06 the cruise control is on when the the light is out and switch raised. Push it in and the speed limiter is activated. This allows setting an upper speed limit which will not be exceeded if I depress the pedal further.
The answer is easy: It messes with my CROCD (Car Related Oppressive Compulsion Disorder).
If there is a functionality in my car I want it to function properly.

However, I agree - this is not number one on my "to be checked & fixed" list.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I understand, suffer from the same disorder.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

So do I! Hell my crazy brain even tells me she drives faster/better after a good wash was.

On a more serious note, wish I could remember the exact wording in the owners manual, but as I recall the way one sentence is written, it indicates one gets highest performance with cc off Trac control off too. Yes I know this is not true but it had me scratching my head thinking about it for a while.

There's a couple of those in there. My favorite is the sentence that claims the seat will not get hotter than the selected temperature displayed. Unfortunately I've studied the diagrams, never could find a thermostat to match / monitor heated seat temp.. OTOH the seat sure does seem to get warmer when I raise the temp to 85 or so on winter freezing days.

John