XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summary of Niggles, Questions and Recommendations (XKR 2002)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Summary of Niggles, Questions and Recommendations (XKR 2002)

Dear Forumites,

I just joined, introduced myself, got a warm welcome (much appreciated) and just come back from an extensive drive with my new XKR.
I´m pretty sure some of you might relate, but even if it is a used car, I like my rides to be in mint condition and anything out of the ordinary, or any malfunction makes me....uneasy.

So here is the list of my niggles and related questions - any feedback from you, would be highly valued:

Passenger Seat:
Backseat declining but not going forward.
I browsed the forum and I already know this seems to be a common problem and also know this needs some soldering to the chip/box.
My question is this: Do I have to remove the whole seat to get access to this box?
I always read "went out, got the box and soldered. Case closed" - what I don´t get is how to get to this box?

Orange Check Engine Light:
I had this already when I drove from Duesseldorf to Vienna.
Calling the seller, he told me, that this is just a hicup and I should not worry and get Jaguar to erease the code & light.
Weeeell.
As it turned out it was indeed something to do with the "Gas Sensor" (stupidly I forgot to note the code, but I´m pretty sure it was a P0400 EGR flow malfunction) - interestingly this was apparently "dealt with" due to the last repair bill I got with the car.
They did exchange the EGR sensor, but even more apparent, that did not do the trick.
Any suggestions?!

The most weirdest thing:
During my drive today, everything went smoothly, when suddenly, while accelerating on a free B-road (J-Gate on D with Sports Mode activated), that car muttered and would not accelerate.
I went off the throttle, I saw "Reduced Engine Power" in the dash, but it went away and the car ran smoothly and without any loss of power for the rest of the trip.
Any idea on what the cause of that might have been (it was rather spooky and I would like to prevent it from happening again).

Now, let´s move to the recommendation section:
Please don´t think (too) badly of me, but I´ve got this awesome car, with a very nice, powerful engine but currently it sounds like a Tesla. Gahhh.
I would just like to up the sound of the exhaust a notch. Nothing serious, nothing unfitting, but a BIT.
I was thinking about just getting these:
Jaguar XK8 and XKR Exhaust Systems Rear Pipes Jaguar XK8 and XKR Parts and Accessories
Any experience or alternative suggestions?

As soon as the car is registered properly I will also address the Navigation to 3 Gauge Conversion - much better style and also more functional.
I will def. post some before / after pics if anyone is interested.

Hey! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my rant and even more for providing some feedback.

All the best and "Servus aus Wien"
Berglmir

Old 06-17-2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

The most weirdest thing:

Mine is an earlier XK8 and I'm only "thinking aloud" about stuff I have read here over the years. Your car **may** have two fuel pumps and I think I **may** be correct in saying that the second one only kicks in when the loud pedal is pressed quite hard. There are many owners who have been driving around for years with only one pump operating because they have not had the opportunity to push the car very hard.

Only a thought, and you'll get lots of good (better ??) advice from others, but worth a consideration maybe ?

Old 06-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Interesting for sure.
So what you are saying..err.. "thinking" is, that
a) either the second fuel pump kind of got surprised by my flooring the throttle (because it got better and not issues before and after that incident), or
b) there is some serious problem with my fuel pumps as they do not react properly and in time?

I hope it´s a).

Thanks David
(looks like you have slate grey as well?)

Old 06-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Just read the thread about testing the two fuel pumps - I will do that for sure, as soon as I get my car back from all the administrative hurdles I need to go through.
However, I also watched WhiteXKR´s great video on Fuel Pump replacement on YT and I just wept a little bit.
I am such an Anti-DIY type that I will have to save up to pay my workshop to exchange them (if need be).

Just two more questions:
a) Would a faulty fuel pump be noticed by an OBD Scanner?
b) Would a faulty fuel pump #2 made itself visible during a dyno run? I think it should, as the car would not achieve full power/speed, correct?

Oh man! What have I gotten myself into?

Old 06-18-2018, 02:51 AM

Update: When I was driving to my workshop today to get the Austrian registration done, my Cruise Control Button was on and no matter what gear or Shift position I was in, could not disengage.
Haven´t found anything in the Forums (but will keep looking) - does anyone have an idea what causes this?

Cheers,
Berglmir

Old 06-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,577 Likes on 945 Posts

my '02 XKR also has the or "a" cruise control button issue. Occasionally the light will come on even with the button in the off position. I can cycle the button on and off again and the light will go out as it's supposed to do, and act right for a couple of weeks more or less. I was told the micro switch is going out. Sounds likely. But since it seems to be under control most of the time, it's not on my radar for immediate attention.

Z

Old 06-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Thanks zray - my issue is, that the button won´t stay in the depressed position. It´s just irritating as it was working yesterday

Old 06-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,577 Likes on 945 Posts

must be maddening. Like many things Jaguar, the part is very simple, but getting to the part is a real challenge.

Z