XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control 'SET' button

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:35 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Cruise Control 'SET' button

I have gone and done it now. While trying to clean up the 'SET' button on my Cruise Control, using canned air, as it is always sticky in operation, I broke it. My car has suffered the 'green shower' with the previous owner and hoses were replaced, I have yet to determine if the latch ram was rebuilt etc., but this button acts like it was drenched in the shower kinda sticky. Anyway to get to it, the button no longer springs back and I am praying to God that there is a misplaced spring and the button comes off the front without switchpack disassembly or worse, the button is now stuck in the 'SET'/ON position; the battery is currently disconnected. Can anyone tell me if the button is now stuck on, or how to approach this problem, and if the button cover pops off? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 07-03-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I presume you mean the one by the gear selector? Its pretty easy to get out from there.. previous posts show how to get the button out.. Once out the assembly of the button is held in by 4 tabs around the base... Once you push these in gently and gently release the top part from the bottom it will separate.. Be aware though that a spring may make a bid for freedom and try and fly off.. like they do with these damn cars (spent some time looking for stuff under seats and in minute holes that they seem to be determined to get into..).

Once its apart you may find that it just needs a good clean out with electrical cleaner..

Easy to put back together, you will see where the internal spring goes, it has a holding probe which it will sit in which when you introduce the top and bottom will slide into.

At the side of the switch you will see what looks like a small washer (when it is assembled). This part acts like the catch to keep it in position... may be there is your problem? sticking? Use the contact cleaner there? Make sure you don't get any on the paint that shows the function of the button on the top.. you may take it off and it will look unpleasant once you have fixed it and put it back in.. it will just be a black button...

Hope that helps...

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply; it is the top button on the new all-in-one steering wheel switchpack for vehicles 2003 and up with Adaptive Cruise Control. I should have mentioned that, I do not have any CC buttons on the shift gate, only on the steering wheel switchpack.

It feels as if the button will pop off somehow, I am just afraid of applying too much pressure and breaking the button out of the top of the switchpack.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

It's been a couple of years since I had a cc problem and accessed the buttons, but I'm fairly certain you will have to remove the air bag. It's not difficult and there are instructions either in the Sticky's or at jagrepair.com.

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:45 PM

That is what I was afraid of, and trying to avoid. After looking as closely as I can, from the outside with a magnifying glass, it looks like there is a bracket along the inside section, and one on the bottom of the button. Hopefully, they are 'tabs' of some sort that will allow me to remove the button from the outside. At the same time I fear that these 'tabs' may be what actuates the inner switch, and the part that is broken. The button now 'falls' to the pushed in position, and moves about as if it is attached to nothing and captured only by the assembly housing, keeping it from falling completely off.