XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer situation, your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer situation, your opinion?

I recently took my 2004 XKR into a dealer for a recall that was never done (J026, if you're interested). They performed the recall and their "free visual inspection." I get a call later from the service writer saying that they had broken the air intake pipe (the one with the accordion folds) when trying to inspect the air cleaner. He then told me that they would graciously discount the repair by 30%.

I said "you broke my car! You fix it!" After quite a bit of discussion, the manager agreed to replace it no cost to me. The service writer still looked like I was getting away with murder since my car is 9 years old. It's pretty clean with only 55K miles.

I feel I was completely in the right on this, but I thought I would ask your opinion. Did I get justice or did I get a deal?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

You completely got justice. I think most dealers are schiesters any way!! Especially the service dept.
Good job!!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Justice in your case.

In the course of repairs, sometimes the unexpected happens and it calls for a negotiation and possible sharing of costs.

In your case, the work was really not a repair and not ordered... it was a free service offered by the dealer. As such they should be liable for any damages.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
... it was a free service offered by the dealer. As such they should be liable for any damages.
+1

Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were totally justified, to expect them to fix that repair. The age of the car, has nothing to do with it. I'm glad for you, because the dealer gets over everyday.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Justice ... and you should bring the remarks made by the service writer to the attention of the service manager ... nicely. He will appreciate the feedback because what he does not know, he cannot fix.

There are far too many wet behind the ears staff running around who feel that they need to have the last word when they have been overriden by management. Once management has decided on a course of action, their only job is to get it done as directed. To make gratutitous comments is unprofessional and does not reflect well on the business.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is only fair. I would have said the same "you did it, you fix it. If it was a Mom & Pop type shop that charges like $50 bucks per hr, maybe Id be willing to deal, but a dealership with shop rates to the moon, no way!!!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If it wasn't broke when you took it in,then you shouldn't have to pay for the repair to have it fixed. That's just good business. They should've informed you that they had broken the part and replaced it at no cost. Then they would've created a happy,and probably a repeat customer.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sqeeter91
If it wasn't broke when you took it in,then you shouldn't have to pay for the repair to have it fixed. That's just good business. They should've informed you that they had broken the part and replaced it at no cost. Then they would've created a happy,and probably a repeat customer.
Yes, it was short-sighted of them. Here I am a new owner of a used car that will most likely need a number of repairs in the coming years. I even work nearby, so it would be a very convenient dealership to use. They left me with such a bad feeling that I won't go back.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sqeeter91

Yup!

It's totally stupid to make a customer unhappy about something so minor.

The majority of people understand that mistakes happen. Admit the mistake, apologize, assure the customer it will be fixed ASAP and at no charge. People respect that sort of thing.

Even if they get angry (most won't) they can't say you were dishonest or trying to cheat them!

When something bad happens it's a *great* opportunity for any business to prove whether they are a class act or a crummy outfit.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Justice ... and you should bring the remarks made by the service writer to the attention of the service manager ... nicely. He will appreciate the feedback because what he does not know, he cannot fix.

There are far too many wet behind the ears staff running around who feel that they need to have the last word when they have been overriden by management. Once management has decided on a course of action, their only job is to get it done as directed. To make gratutitous comments is unprofessional and does not reflect well on the business.

Some outfits have very strict (and shortsighted) policies about expenses they might have to "eat". Service advisors who "give anything away" are often called on the carpet big time.

Some pay plans includes incentives/disincentives based on this type of "policy expense". Very stupid.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM

The insult to injury was that the part they were offering me 30% off of was 40% cheaper at another dealer!

If only I had a recording of the phone call I had with them. It was crazy with strange metaphors and bewildering logic. Kind of funny now that it's over.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Totally outrageous. I'm surprised an outfit with such questionable behavior would even admit to causing the damage. They had a lot of gall to confess and then expect you to suffer any cost.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

From another viewpoint..
You can bet that the dealership did not absorb any of the replacement costs. They either made the mechanic pay for the part he broke or split it between the service writer and the mechanic. However it was done, chances are the dealership didn't eat the costs.
Saying that, you were still right to stand up and demand that you shouldn't have to pay for it - unless it was already damaged and was due to break by the next person touching it. In that cause then maybe you should have shared some of the part costs.
Every business takes a risk when they explore a path to a revenue opportunity. Their risk was breaking something while looking for other service opportunities.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Like Samantha, I'm stunned they admitted to creating the damage in the first place....

Had the local (and very obnoxious) Jaguar service writer attempted to pull that stunt with me, I probably would have been on the evening news for grabbing him by the collar and lifting him three feet off the floor while verbally berating him up one side and down the other....