XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC System Fault (new battery in place)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default DSC System Fault (new battery in place)

Had to replace the battery a month or so back. When I took the car out last Sunday, I had the DSC System Fault message showing. Cruise control functioned fine though, which seems to be one of the other things people frequently have reported with the error message. Upon starting to return home, I still had the error message, although it disappeared after I got gas about 45 miles later.

This morning was the first occasion since then that I had driven the car and, again, got the error message. Cruise functions fine. I made a stop on the way to the office and the error message was gone when I started it up to leave from that store.

Most of the threads I have seen with the DSC fault message have suggested battery issue. But in this instance, we have a fresh battery that cranks rapidly and shows no sign of improper discharge.

I'm not sure how to pull DSC error codes short of going to a dealer, but are there any suggestions as to what I might be dealing with here given the new battery?

At the moment, the vehicle has roughly 175K miles and is mostly driven to/from the office when I take it out...that drive is roughly 100 miles round trip.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

The first thing to do is check the battery voltage, even if it is new. There is always the possibility of a bad connection either at the battery or at one of the many positive bulkhead or ground connections. A dirty wheel speed sensor could even be the culprit.

Having a shop with the jag software, or even a dealer at last resort, check for codes would be a quick way to identify the problem.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

Guess I missed the ID on the car you are discussing, but my 2003 XK8 Cpe has occasionally displayed the DSC Fault light,but does not record a code. I can turn off the ignition and then restart and it is gone. It is random and just occurred yesterday PM when I cranked the car. No wheel movement or not placed in gear. Just turned off and restarted, it was gone. I originally thought the car had to be moving and perhaps a turn to left or right caused the speed sensors to detect a different speed with the open diff. The No Movement or only using the key to start (did not have hands on steering wheel) seemed to indicated it just happens in a random fashion. Since no wheel movement would seem to indicate no broken wires in sensor circuit, where would one look? This DSC fault is toying with my mind. Have not missed any sleep because of it. Any ideas??

Old 03-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Used to have DSC faults all the time - upon replacing the battery they mostly did not recur. Have since semi-regularly given the wheel speed sensors a good wash when I have the wheels off and have not had any trouble with further fault messages.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

FWIW, I'm on my 2nd XK8 and have experienced (I think) every cause of what you're seeing, other than a failed sensor. Battery issues are a common source, but not the only common source.

Since you get an error before the car moves, it's not dirty sensors. You've got something intermittent ... I would bet on either a fault in the module itself, or in the wiring to the front sensors. Some searches here should turn up threads ...
- on repairing the module (cold solder joint in a particular spot is common) or sending it for rebuild,
- on reseating connectors and relieving stress in the wiring to the front sensors.

If you can get someone to pull codes for you, it could save a lot of detective work.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
kstevusa (03-24-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Just to sure, MB - confirm you're getting the DSC fault "without" an ABS light?

Old 04-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
Just to sure, MB - confirm you're getting the DSC fault "without" an ABS light?
Sorry for the delay...was traveling and missed your reply.

No ABS or other lights showing.

Issue is still present. If I start it, shut it down and restart, the fault message is almost always gone. The two times where it didn't go away on restart, it did immediately after a second restart.

Ironically, for as much as the battery is labeled as a culprit, I have never seen it before this battery replacement.