XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR delete

Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default EGR delete

Did anyone try to delete EGR by placing steel plate between EGR duct and intake elbow? Is it doable with no engine faults or should I forget about EGR deleting with no software mods?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

pretty sure a few people have re-routed the breather tubes on the 4.0L to a catch-can (or atmosphere), I'm not one of them though.
Slightly different system on the 4.2s I think.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Removing the actuator will likely cause a code because the ECU expects it to be there.

Just inserting a plate between the pipe and the intake elbow might cause a code. The ECU knows when the EGR valve is open (it actually can open varying amounts) and uses the O2 sensors as feedback so it may determine that something is wrong.

I guess my question would be why bother?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 AM

I'm during the process of adapting Kenne Bell 2.2 and designing new intake elbow, so there is great oportunity to delete EGR, which, together with breather is responsible for all that exhaust junk in SC lobes, intake, IC radiators, etc.

Attached Thumbnails EGR delete-egr_2.jpg   EGR delete-egr_1.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know the point of changeover, but on the early cars (like mine), it's possible to put blanking plates at the exhaust manifold outlet and the EGR inlet without the ECM throwing a code. The EGR itself does have to be in place and connected, however, I've been told. I've had blanking plates installed for a few years now, no codes and nice to have the exhaust junk going where it belongs...through the exhaust.

At some point, a sensor was added on later cars that will detect a lack of vacuum in the EGR if the blanking plates are installed, and a code will be generated.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
I don't know the point of changeover, but on the early cars (like mine), it's possible to put blanking plates at the exhaust manifold outlet and the EGR inlet without the ECM throwing a code. The EGR itself does have to be in place and connected, however, I've been told. I've had blanking plates installed for a few years now, no codes and nice to have the exhaust junk going where it belongs...through the exhaust.

At some point, a sensor was added on later cars that will detect a lack of vacuum in the EGR if the blanking plates are installed, and a code will be generated.

The early 1997 cars had egr, it was later deleted with a software upgrade. The XKR in the US has egr & a map sensor. If you blank off the manifold you need to run the pipe to allow the map sensor to detect the valve opening.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Krajcok
I'm during the process of adapting Kenne Bell 2.2 and designing new intake elbow, so there is great oportunity to delete EGR, which, together with breather is responsible for all that exhaust junk in SC lobes, intake, IC radiators, etc.
I'd say the breather is most of it. When I put the twin screw on I added a catch can on the part load side and it catches some nasty stuff.

In the last 10k miles, I haven't noticed any junk in the intake from the EGR alone.

But, if you want to do it, sounds like it can be done if you use the method JgaXkr describes.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I'd say the breather is most of it.
Have a look at attached fotos, please. 90% of junk comes from EGR flange.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Krajcok
Have a look at attached fotos, please. 90% of junk comes from EGR flange.
I see the picture and can say that mine looked very similar when I took it apart.

I only know my own experience with having the EGR connected and the breather filtered so that there is not the coating of oil to be cooked on by the hot exhaust gas.