XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical gremlin, says passenger door open when it is not.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default electrical gremlin, says passenger door open when it is not.

I noticed that the interior lights in my '03 XK8 were stuck on while the car was parked so I went out to investigate. They seemed to be on for no reason, the doors were closed, and at first I was not getting the 'passenger door open' signal. I opened and shut the doors several times, and I *believe* but cannot confirm that the windows were opening and shutting themselves slightly as they should at that point.

I then heard the passenger window actuating repeatedly, but only momentarily, while the interior passenger door light would turn on and off simultanesouly. Then I got the passenger door open message.

At this point I went to inspect for any obstructions in the passenger door, and when I grabbed the outside handle the window lowered itself a few inches. I pulled (slightly) on the handle again several times, each time the window lowered itself an inch or more.

I thought maybe the windows needed to be reset, so I did that per the instructions in the manual, to no avail. I still had the same problem.

I then disconnected the negative battery cable for a few minutes, reconnected it, and reset the windows again. I *think* that it's been OK since then.

I'm not sure what might have brought this on. The only thing I can think of is that earlier today I washed the car and left the doors open for a very long time to let everything dry out.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is fixed now or not. Any suggestions as to what may have caused this or what I should inspect?

edit: just found this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...or-shut-25020/ about something very similar. I hadn't driven the car for nearly two weeks until yesterday due to inclement weather. maybe the battery is a bit low.

Last edited by OhioXK; 10-08-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It is hard to say if the door and window are now working properly. These cars are plagued with a series of poltergeist events and most are caused by a battery that is not up to par. The door latch has 3 micro switches and a door control module. For now if it is ok wait see what takes place.