XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error 1797 ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by mgman71
Mike yes I know about the ten day extension I am way passed the 10 days and you only get the 10 days once. Not sure how to get to drive the car to make the car ready. Thank you for your reply
From the same website:

Inspection waiversA vehicle that is required to have the OBDII inspection can qualify for a waiver (valid for 1 year) if the vehicle
  • fails the OBDII inspection, but ultimately passes the safety inspection, the gas cap check (gas-powered vehicles only) and the visual inspection of the emissions control devices (gas-powered vehicles only)
  • receives repairs that are related to the failure of the OBDII inspection and the cost of the repairs is at least $450
  • does not pass the OBDII inspection during a re-inspection
After the re-inspection, if the vehicle qualifies, the inspector can print a waiver form. Both you and the inspector must sign the waiver. The inspection station keeps the waiver and other related documents. The inspector then issues the inspection sticker for your vehicle valid for 1 year.
To qualify for a waiver
  • you must have the inspection report that shows the failure from the initial NYVIP2 inspection station
  • the inspection report for the re-inspection must show that your vehicle failed the OBDII test, but that your vehicle passed the safety inspection, the gas cap check (gas-powered vehicles only), and the visual inspection of the emissions control devices (gas-powered vehicles only)
  • the emissions control system of your vehicle must be intact, and must not show any evidence of tampering (gas-powered vehicles only)
  • you must have work orders and receipts that prove that repairs related to the vehicle emissions system were completed at a NYS-registered repair shop, or at an out-of-state repair shop
    • the work orders and the receipts must document that the cost of the repairs, parts, labor, and related sales tax was at least $450
    • if you complete the repairs yourself, the calculation of the cost of the repairs includes only the cost of the parts that were used and does not include your labor

https://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/new-yo...-program-nyvip

The following users liked this post:
mgman71 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
George,

If you drive normally for long enough and far enough, the OnBoard Monitoring Tests eventually complete. However it can take hundreds of miles and a much quicker method is to deliberately do 'drive cycles'. Here is the 'drive' cycle' sequence for each of the 6 diagnostic monitors:

Attachment 147114

It's the driving sequences which are important. You can ignore references to checking with 'IDS' which is the old Dealer scantool.

After reading through the thread again, I still suspect the BATTERY despite it being given a clean bill of health.

Graham
Graham thank you for your reply I will do that and let you know how it goes. Thanks again George

Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
George,

If you drive normally for long enough and far enough, the OnBoard Monitoring Tests eventually complete. However it can take hundreds of miles and a much quicker method is to deliberately do 'drive cycles'. Here is the 'drive' cycle' sequence for each of the 6 diagnostic monitors:

Attachment 147114

It's the driving sequences which are important. You can ignore references to checking with 'IDS' which is the old Dealer scantool.

After reading through the thread again, I still suspect the BATTERY despite it being given a clean bill of health.

Graham
I got the drive cycles printed out with try them on Friday. Thanks for your reply... George

Old 05-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Thanks mike I printed it out. After i do the drive cycles I will get a inspection again and if needed I will show the inspector the print out. thanks again George

Old 05-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Must be 'CAN issue on 97 XK8' month. Another member reported very recently that he was having a similar problem after waking up the car from its winter sleep. No warnings, just a 'comms fail' error from several OBD readers.

It's not identical to the problem you have, but there are similarities:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1670551.

Mikey asked about the P1000 code, which is what the car should report if the drive cycles aren't complete (which they won't be if you've done a code reset). A problem I see is how can the car pass inspection if the signal that they are (a P1111 code) can't be read?

IMO solving the comms error is the more important. At least if you can get a waiver (although I don't get the $450 minimum at all) you'll have breathing space to get this sorted.

There's a step-by-step somewhere in JTIS on troubleshooting CAN comms errors that may help. I'll see if I can find it.

Good luck, and please dismiss any idea of throwing away a perfectly good car:- it has just lost its voice

Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Don B (05-18-2017), mgman71 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Does the MIL self-test correctly and then stay off?

If it does then the P1797 is not a current code.

It is either pending or an old code.

About the only other possibility is that the PCM is faulty in a way I don't recall previously occurring and would perhaps be worth having checked by such as ASI.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Don B (05-18-2017), michaelh (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had the same code issue. Cleaned all pins and connectors to the ECM and the TCM and looks like the code is gone. I did use my scanner to clear it. You can also use the battery disconnect method. Before it came back within 10 minutes but i drove all day today without the code returning.

The following 2 users liked this post by joekluger:
Don B (05-18-2017), mgman71 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 PM

Jagv8 When you say does the MIL self test work correctly do you mean do all the light turn when the key is in position II and go off when the engine starts if it is then yes they go off and stay off. I have cleared the error a few times have done a manual scan then look again and the 1797 comes back. in joekluger post say to try to clean the connectors that is what I will try to do on Sat. will update after that. thks George

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

in joekluger post say to try to clean the connectors that is what I will try to do on Sat. will update after that.
Didn't I suggest cleaning the ECM & TCM connectors way back in post #34???

Last edited by Don B; 05-18-2017 at 10:40 PM.
mgman71 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Has to be worth trying.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Jagv8 When you say does the MIL self test work correctly do you mean do all the light turn when the key is in position II and go off when the engine starts if it is then yes they go off and stay off. I have cleared the error a few times have done a manual scan then look again and the 1797 comes back. in joekluger post say to try to clean the connectors that is what I will try to do on Sat. will update after that. thks George
It's a pending code, then, and they do not cause a smog fail.

An actual code also puts the MIL on.

The exception is when someone has jury-rigged the MIL!

mgman71 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Didn't I suggest cleaning the ECM & TCM connectors way back in post #34???
Don yes you did . it was on my list to do head to see the car to day and try a few things will let you know how it goes. Thanks again George

Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

George,
The pinpoint guide I mentioned earlier is from the JTIS for later cars. Don't want to muddy the waters as the connector pin-outs may well be different, so I'd stick with the information the other members have given in the thread.

Make sure that you disconnect the battery before pulling any connectors.

Good luck,
Mike

Don B (05-19-2017), mgman71 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
George,
The pinpoint guide I mentioned earlier is from the JTIS for later cars. Don't want to muddy the waters as the connector pin-outs may well be different, so I'd stick with the information the other members have given in the thread.

Make sure that you disconnect the battery before pulling any connectors.

Good luck,
Mike
Thanks Mike..

Old 05-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Hi Team. I did the ohm's test on the DLC pin`s 6 & 14 and it was 60 ohm's. I did another scan, the Engine control module had NO `DTS's, Tha ABS has a 2012 communication bus error- non SCP??. and the Trans control module has a 1797 can transmission control module to engine control module malfunction. I was going to clean the tcm and ecm I am not sure how to get to them. Thanks again for all your help. hope someone can tell me how to get to the tcm and ecm George

Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

The TCM and ECM are both under the hood on the passenger side.

See this thread started by HM1:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...15/#post344922

Don B (05-20-2017), mgman71 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:54 PM

George,

Be absolutely certain to disconnect the battery negative cable before you disconnect and clean the ECM and TCM connectors.

Cheers,

Don

mgman71 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Default 1797

hi. Just a quick note I will be away this week so I can not try the fixes will up date the forum next Saturday. When I return Thanks again. George

Don B (05-21-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM

I am back. So far today I have put in a new battery, tried the scan and still getting 1797. I reseated the ECM and TCM connectors checked all the pins on both all were clean. I tried the scan again still getting 1797. Again the car runs great no error light or massages on the dash. Do not know where to go from here? If you have a idea what I should try please let me know. The car does not pass inspection so I can not drive it. Thanks George

Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 PM

So far today I have put in a new battery, tried the scan and still getting 1797. I reseated the ECM and TCM connectors checked all the pins on both all were clean.
Hi George,

From your description I take it that you visually inspected the connector pins but did not flush them with zero-residue electrical contact cleaner or clean them with a small brass-bristle brush? It's always a good idea to do that when you have connectors apart since even a thin coat of oil or the lightest coat of corrosion can introduce electrical resistance that can negatively impact these sensitive electronic circuits.

Also, as I suggested back in post #34, while you have the connectors apart you should check the CAN wires for continuity between the ECM and TCM connectors and also check both wires for shorts to ground. These tests are easy with an inexpensive volt/ohm meter (VOM) or digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM). Set the meter to measure the lowest range of resistance (typically 200 ohms unless the meter is auto-ranging, in which case you just set it to ohms or Ω). There should be continuity (very low resistance of a few ohms or less) between the terminal for the Yellow CAN wire at the ECM connector and the equivalent Yellow wire terminal at the TCM connector. The same should be true for the Green wire. Looking at the schematic in the Electrical Guide, there should be no continuity whatsoever between either wire and body ground.

One other thought that I can't recall if anyone has mentioned: It might be worth cleaning the electrical connector
at the transmission itself, since one listed possible cause of P1797 is "TCM/Control Valve Failure."

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-30-2017 at 09:06 PM.
mgman71 (06-01-2017)