XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Problems can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry A few Problems can anyone help?

So, I purchased this 2000 XKR Convertible with a few issues, but I am having problems resolving some of them, can anyone help? I am new with these cars.

1. Windscreen washers does not squirt, tested the pump and it works fine when you add 12volts to the 2 back pins. There's also permanent live at the plug to the pump on the 3rd pin, but when you press the washer button no pump sound and no water appears? Do the washers have a relay maybe? Checked all the fuses but could not find a relay for the washers.

2. Maybe worse, the air bag senor warning comes on when you start up, so I got a pair of sensors, only to find out that the wiring loom has gone from the front bumper area of the car that they plug into? I took the bumper off and there is no sign of the wiring at all. And none has been cut? Unless with a cruise control model the sensors are elsewhere?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

You have already posted an Intro here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...st-xkr-125439/

Please read the advice we gave you there about posting to the forum.

I've moved your question from Intro to XK8/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

1). Looks that the washer pump is a direct output from the BPM as is the switch a direct input, have you looked at the simples first.....no ground or poor earth?
2). Air bag issues are interesting to say the least.....not sure about your MY but the air bag lamp should flash when you start up, this flash is a seq of code to give you an indication if what the fault is....I don't think early cars had this flash seq so it may remain solid?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

If the airbag light stays on check the top left fuse in the drivers side fuse box.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Yes, I think the washers could be a poor earth to be honest, but will have to track that, or maybe the push button switch? The other issue is I now realise the headlight washers are also missing along with the rubber hoses to the headlight pump. I will investigate further. Thanks

The air bag situation is a potential nightmare though, this car's had a front end prang in it's time, I purchased it cheap knowing that, but did not know about all these electrical faults.
The dash flashes 4 & 2 then stays on, which means airbag sensors, but there are simply no airbag sensors fitted, just below the bonnet they are supposed to sit on the front crosmember on top of a bit of loom and water pipe to the head lamps. So I have some sensors but I realised when I removed the bumper that there is no loom to plug the airbag sensors into either? So if anyone knows what I can do about this, that would be nice, maybe its been given a different loom from another car as the loom that is there has the cruise control plugged into it and the ext temp sensor I think?
I will consult Trevor at Penge Jags next to see what he can come up with.

But any assistance will be greatly appreciated as this is becoming a bit of a project.

Cheers Pete

Old 09-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Your washer hoses are plugged since theyre old(usually in the wiper arm) they do take special thin wall hoses from dealer. And or the washer reservoir is plugged with pond scum. Disconnect lines and blow compressed air through or clean out. At the same time see if washers squirt with lines unhooked on wiper cowl. Need codes for srs light otherwise youre guessing on alot of differant fault. My guess would be side air bag circuits. If so go up into seat and disconnect connectors and reconnet thus effectivly cleaning connections

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-05-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes agreed code 42 is as quoted below from the SRS manual.
Clearly the system had this and lost it, from your thread the bumper (original) has been trashed along with sensors & wiring, this has since been replaced by a "garage that fixes anything with a wheel in each corner," but omitted to fit the impact sensor and associated wiring loom. So....your looking for a connector in the engine bay with nothing plugged in it, probably one of these below.....my guess would be the lower LHS FT rail, better seen from under the vehicle. One sure thing is.....it wants them, so your sensor purchase is not wasted, you just need a loom and find the connector to plug em into.....good hunting!!
TS

42 - B2296 (19)
Front Impact Sensor Mount/Communication Fault
Connector: EC050, EC046, CR087. Harness: Engine, Cabin. Impact sensor mount fixing loose. Front Impact Sensor

Old 09-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

on the wiper washers, on my 03, there is a plastic T in the cowl that branches off the hoses to the wipers, mine is broke and when I hit my washers the fluid goes into the cowl and I never see it making you think the pump is busted.

Last edited by brgjag; 09-06-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Carefully clean the electrical connections at the pump. The configuration of the plug allows water to sit in it. Corrosion is not obvious but cleaning pins fixed mine. Apply a water proof grease to keep water out.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Default Cheers

Thanks everyone, wading through it! I will let you know how I get on.