XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Gauge lights & alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Flashing Gauge lights & alarm problem

hello, im new to the forum and im having a few problems with my 2000 Xk8 convertible. first problem im having is the key fob stopped working and when i lock the car with the key the alarm goes off and wont stop until i unlock the car.
second problem im having is the icons on the gauges start to flash all crazy, like a christmas tree lol. while its doing that i hear a clicking noise and also a thing that says system check i believe. after awhile it will stop. then it will start doing it again. even when the car is off it still does it. so i disconnected the car battery so it wouldn't drain it out over night.
Marry Christmas and thanks for the help!

Old 12-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

My first thought is a battery problem. If you have a charger then hook it and let it charge for a few hours.

The following users liked this post:
obeymukie (12-27-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
My first thought is a battery problem. If you have a charger then hook it and let it charge for a few hours.
That was my first thought, low battery power. If his battery has never been changed out now is the time. Interstate makes two that will fit. I bought the less expensive one. I use the old original one as a boat anchor. Works GREAT!

obeymukie (12-27-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 10:32 AM

thank you guys for responding. i also forgot to mention that the car does start and run with out a problem. i do have a charger so il give that a try. so having a low battery would cause all that? alarm going off win i lock it and small icons on the gauges to flicker like that. again thanks for the help

Old 12-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you buy a volt meter which would help assess the condition of the battery? Don't want to add another gauge inside the car. Just one to measure the battery and then put away. Lots of issues seem to be related to battery condition. Just because the car will turn over and start does not mean the battery is up to snuff.

Jack

obeymukie (12-27-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:30 PM

thanks everyone but i just check the battery and its fully charged. i even charged it a bit to just to make sure, but im still having the same issues any other things you guys think it might be?

Old 12-25-2010, 03:37 PM

the battery was replaced about 2months ago. this is the first time i have ever encountered anything like this with a car. So i can use all the help i can get. so if you have any ideas please throw them out there. again thanks for the

Old 12-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Couple suggestions . . . no guarantees.

Certainly sounds like an electrical problem. Even a new battery can fail. Have an auto parts store do a free battery check.

Make sure all the doors, hood and trunk are securely closed. A bad micro switch can cause the Body Module/Security Module to do strange things.

Do the hard reboot . . . remove the negative cable from the battery and touch it to the positive post. Might work.

Start checking all the connections for both B+ and grounds battery to the fuse panels in the engine compartment. A bad ground can provide more excitement than a good Bruce Willis movie.

Good luck, let us know.

Last edited by test point; 12-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
obeymukie (12-27-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I second testpoint's suggestion of the hard reset...after a new battery install, some things go wacky (or in my case, the battery being disconnected for a long period of time). Wacky for me was the beeping of the car when trying to arm it with my key fob, and it wouldn't stay locked... and the overhead console light would NEVER turn off...not even when I drove the car...it was always on!

A 'reboot' of all systems cleared the wacky behavior.

obeymukie (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM

I went and bought a new battery and did a hard reboot like you said. After doing the hard reboot it fixed the alarm problem for a second, then the alarm started to go off again. Im still having these crazy light flashing on the gauge cluster (what i call the flashing lights of death lol). What i also notice when the lights start to flash, my gauge needle starts to jump up and down. Im not sure if thats any help. When im driving the problem goes away until i turn off the car. then the problem starts all over again. So i started checking all of the fuses and grounds and looking for any loose wires, and i couldn't find anything. i think at this point im considering taking the car back to the dealer and paying to let them fix the problem. if you have anymore suggestions im all ears. Again thank you guys for the help

Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

Check the security module in the trunk, remove tire n tools. If it is shorting out , possibly causing security system to go off...?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

When you say the lights and instrumentation flicker does the car run without change and do the exterior lights flicker? Also is your car equipped with a navigation system? Looking at fig8.1 of the oneline for your car it shows a Minor Instrument Pack for your car if it is not equipped with a navigation system. If everything is working on your car I would suggest that the Major Instrument Pack is ok. I would check the pins for a poor connection on both the major and minor cont pack. As for the security system it may be tied in somehow but not sure.
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2000.pdf

Old 12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Ok, i think the alarm going off is a result (not a symtom) of ur possessed dash. Think about it...alarm when active recognizes a voltage drop ( switch, light, etc) and goes off. Whatever is messing with ur instrument pack is the culprit. Dissection may be required.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Ok, i think the alarm going off is a result (not a symtom) of ur possessed dash. Think about it...alarm when active recognizes a voltage drop ( switch, light, etc) and goes off. Whatever is messing with ur instrument pack is the culprit. Dissection may be required.
I can agree with that!