XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok, I am pushing my luck......

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, I am pushing my luck......

I asked this question (sort of) in another thread, and got off on the wrong subject, so I will be more focused this time without stressing the patience of this really neat forum.

I have a 2006 XKR. I would like to get a new or used wood/leather steering wheel to replace the gawdy leather wrapped wheel that I have now.

I found a very few 2004-2006 preowned wheels for a XJ model. Jaguar is telling me that the 2006 XJ will NOT fit a 2006 XK because of the airbag
fitment (the part numbers are even different). Several very kind folks stated that a xj wheel would/will fit on a xk model though.

Does anyone know the real fact? Has anyone ever placed a XJ wheel on a XK close or around this 2006 model year?

THANK YOU all again for your kindness and hopefully forgiveness for me asking again. I just don't want to shell out big bucks for a brand new wheel hopefully that I can find 'preowned'.

Tim

Old 12-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Tim, the members (steve11 and xkracer) that gave the advice in your WTB thread works on these cars ALL of the time, and I would trust them on compatibility. xk or XJ (series x308)

The steering wheel quality is the same from xj to xk, don't worry about that. Wood is the same, finish, dimensions...everything. Swapping your old air bag from the existing wheel to the new one, it should be a simple exchange.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

As we both said, what the Jag dealer is telling you is correct, on later XKs and XJs there is a different airbag.

You can only swap between the 2 on early models and because you have a late model then the answer is no I am afraid.

Hope this makes more sense

Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

To complement the above:

From the 2001 MY the XK8/R received a 2 way airbag, so it need also 2 connections to individually control the 2 different ignitions.

This was not applied to the x308 version, so that one until 2003 had only 1 way airbag (and was interchangebale with the pre MY2001 XK8/R).

The wiring diagrams for the new aluminum x350 XJ does show a 2 way also, so in principle it could work with your 2 way one.

What I don't know is if there is a difference in the airbag (ignition) operation, I would think it will be the same. But you better make sure that this works exactly the same before using the XJ one, your life may depend on that, so I can't really recommend it.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:24 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree and I agree with Avos.

The four-wire (two-connector) bag went on the XK8 after 01 through to the 06 (no sense in talking past that point, different design wheel). The 308 uses a single, 2-wire connector (different ignition) which changed at the X350 (03 in UK; 04 in NA).

In fairness to the OP, we (or I) took it to a higher level of complexity than needed by discussing air bags. Let's separate the mechanical steering wheel from the electronics of the air bag. OP only wants to know what wheels will mechanically fit because, of course, he is going to use his existing air bag.

So, the real question is - can he use anything other than an 06 XK8/R steering wheel with HIS air bag. The answer is YES. It's not perfect, but it does work. I've interchanged a 308 wheel and mounted it to an XK8 using the XK8 air bag. The bag is a very slightly different shape but it does work and the horn mechanism works.

To the OP - you can gamble with any wheel from from an XK8 - 2001 to 2006; X308 from 98 to 03. Once past the 04 XJ8 or 07 XK,...NOT. But, preferably, you'll just search until you find an XK8 wheel. They come up on Ebay ALL the time. It is a bigger challenge on Ebay to get the right color because there are at least three colors these wheels can be, maybe four. On Ebay, the Gray wheels can look tan and vice versa.

There is only ONE small unknown to me and that is the steering wheel controls on your 06. I don't know if, by 06, Jaguar used the two-way radio search control toggle button (search both forward and back), or stuck with the single, forward only button as on early XK8/Rs. Look to see if you have the telephone icon on the leftside button control panel. If it's there, then the steering wheel controls will not be compatible with early XK8 wheels or X308s for this reason, but not for mechanical compatibility.

Last edited by steve11; 12-26-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:31 PM

THANK YOU guys, I really appreciate your advice. So it sounds aslike (and I apologize for NOT being quite technical oriented) that a 2006 XJ wheel will/would not work on my 2006 XK mainly because of the airbag and the connections. .....Drats! Hopefully I will find one on ebay someday. Tons found for other Jag cars and earlier XK's, but aslike trying to replace the 2006 center console lid, those two items are extremely and currently hard to find. I hope everyone had a great Christmas by the way.

Last edited by texastim; 12-26-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

2006 XJ is a completely different shaped wheel and air bag...no, don't go there. If you're doing this yourself and are not very good with improvising mechanical stuff, then I highly recommend you wait until you find an 03 to 06 XK8 wheel. They come, you'll see them. I'll watch for you too as I'm on Ebay all the time.

If you're looking for a replacement center console top (for the glove box w/cup holder) try this guy:

http://www.paulsjaguar.com/

He gets them from time to time. I've purchased console tops from him in the past.

Trending Topics

Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11
If you're looking for a replacement center console top (for the glove box w/cup holder) try this guy:

http://www.paulsjaguar.com/

He gets them from time to time. I've purchased console tops from him in the past.
If the console top is just worn, but the leather is still in decent shape, just re-dye it yourself.
(www.leatherique.com)

Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM

The console lid is actually good, but the pad foaming underneath has buckled. It really looks sad. The leather has not worn thankfully. I wonder if I could get it restiched? I will investigate that route and hopefully will/would save my pennies for a new or slightly used correct XKR wheel.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

There's a whole thread on restuffing the padding in the center console armrest (pics and everything!).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=armrest+foam

H20boy takes his armrest off and uses it as a pillow at the office now.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Hold on there cowboy, back to the steering wheel...

If I understand correctly you have an 06 with an all leather steering wheel. Maybe I missed it but what is the fascia of the dash finished with? Typically wood/leather steering wheels were only provided with the burl walnut dash. All other wood species and veneers; elm, birdseye maple, sapele, piano black and carbon fiber were equipped with full leather steering wheels so there wouldn’t be a clash aesthetically. - I wouldn't want you to order a wood/leather wheel only to find out it doesn't match.

If you do have a walnut dash perhaps the original owner optioned the wood/leather wheel out as although the overall diameter is the same the all leather wheel is thicker and, in my opinion, provides a sportier feel.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 PM

yes sir, i have a wonderful looking burl walnut dash. while the leather looks sportier, i have been fortunate to have those types of leather steering wheels in my other cars. i just feel that the wood/leather combo would look more rich, but, i have the same concern, i am hoping to get both walnut woods to match.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Okay, just found this on a website that listed available options:

Performance Leather Steering Wheel
•SPECIAL ORDER
•Includes Momo Gearshift Knob

Is your gearshift knob all leather too?

P.S. I have been reading about your issues, hang in there, you have addressed most of the known problems - I have had my car since new and now have 98K miles on it and it is still going strong. Yes in addition to the "normal" problems like a green shower, headrest issues, etc...I have also had to shell out $$$ for a new throttle body, a supercharger coolant pump and new headlights. But if I had to do it over again I would in a heartbeat. Even after spending $85K on the car initially. Brake maintainence on the R is the only super costly thing (and tires too depending on the brand) My tip: the next time you need to replace your rotors and pads go with good aftermarket pads and you can extend the life of your new rotors.

The following users liked this post:
texastim (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Marc,

Yes it had a leather shifter. It was first to go, the previous owner was filthy (so sad), so I removed it with a absolutely beautiful walnut knob the a wood maker sells on ebay for Jaguar vehicles. Thanks for the great tips above! So far the real mechanics of the car seem to be fine, so we shall see, hoefully for a long while.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM

I hope you saved that shift knob, new Momo "R" knobs, if you can find one, are upwards of $175

Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM

I sure did!

I took advantage on ordering a new steering wheel this morning from a vendor that offers 15% off, free shipping, and no sales tax outside of their state to forum members. I saved a bunch actually. I am very grateful!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Sweet! Any pics of your car yet?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 PM

no not yet, but soon though.