Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration !

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Frustration !

One of the very few problems (I hope) with my "new" XK8 is that the centre console won't shut properly - I suspect because a previous owner took it to bits and didn't reassemble it properly. I think the lid is OK, so it's the "bottom bit" that's causing the problem and I have tried every which way and can't get it to work properly.
There's basically three bits - the "top bit" and it's pretty obvious where that goes, and then two other bits, one with just a slot, and the second with the moulded plastic latch "tongue". There are two self-tappers which go through all three bits into the metal screw-plates and the lining is sandwiched in there somewhere as well. From the pictures, can anyone give me the correct order please - e.g. top, lining, 1,2 or top, 1, lining, 2 or ................ I'm sure you get the idea
It's driving me mad - it MUST be simple but I just can't figure it out !!

Frustration !-centre-console-001.jpg

Frustration !-centre-console-002.jpg

Frustration !-centre-console-003.jpg

Thanks - as always.
Cheers,
David.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My armrest shuts fine and I don't have the bit labeled "2".

If i recall it goes "1", lining, top.

Good luck

Pavlos

Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Agree with Pavlos. Just did the repair. I also don't have item #2 and it works fine.
Dave

Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
One of the very few problems (I hope) with my "new" XK8 is that the centre console won't shut properly - I suspect because a previous owner took it to bits and didn't reassemble it properly. I think the lid is OK, so it's the "bottom bit" that's causing the problem and I have tried every which way and can't get it to work properly.
There's basically three bits - the "top bit" and it's pretty obvious where that goes, and then two other bits, one with just a slot, and the second with the moulded plastic latch "tongue". There are two self-tappers which go through all three bits into the metal screw-plates and the lining is sandwiched in there somewhere as well. From the pictures, can anyone give me the correct order please - e.g. top, lining, 1,2 or top, 1, lining, 2 or ................ I'm sure you get the idea
It's driving me mad - it MUST be simple but I just can't figure it out !!

Attachment 47062

Attachment 47063

Attachment 47064

Thanks - as always.
Cheers,
David.
2 goes over 1, and 1 faces with the curled over piece toward the front of the car. That all goes under the trim peice you show in the middle pic (the piece missing from the first pic). These bits all go on after the lining is in place. Also, when installing, keep the screws slightly lose, so when you close the lid, the latch will move the pieces into their proper fine adjustment. Lift the lid, snug the screws, test. If it almost latches, or the lid can come up without pressing the release but you feel it catch slightly, then loosen the screws just a little, push the pieces toward the front of the car, snug the screws again and test. Be careful not to push these too far forward, as the latch wont release and you will be asking how to get the lid up. I tried to post a pic of mine, but the iPad camera isn't that good.

Attached Thumbnails Frustration !-image.jpg  

Last edited by SteveJacks; 07-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Resolved

Thanks Guys - all sorted but ................... very odd. Steve - I tried your way but with both 1 & 2 pieces under the lining, the lining was too far up. So ............ got rid of piece 2, put it back together with the lining sandwiched between the top piece and piece 1, and it works O.K. so thanks Panastas & Dave C.
I'm quite used to doing a complicated job - brain surgery or fixing a laser guided weapons system and having a few bits left over, but repairing something that originally had three parts and only using two of them to make it work is a new one for me !

Old 07-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

You will soon have a box labeled "Jag Parts" for your leftovers and extras! There probably isn't anyone on this Forum that doesn't have one.