Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default gearbox fault amber light

Howdy all.
Just getting the car ready for the season
Was sitting there in idle and out of the blue got the gearbox fault amber light
shut car down and restarted all is well although she is not on the road yet
just wondering is this code stored now ( or reset )
I had the tract control failure a couple of years ago and found i had to have my auto eng code reader hooked up to catch it while it happened
99 xk8 convert
tks
howard

Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM

yeah i am going to run auto eng tommorrow and see what shows up but in the meantime it may be caused by my ultra guage although I have not had problems before. Will force the protocol on it as I have read there can be issues with the ultra guage causing error issues. will let all know how it goes

Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You better believe there can be problems. Mine would go into limp mode, and I even bought a used TCM, which appeared to fix the problem. I later found that since I had bought the Realgauge mod from whitexkr and switched the ultragauge to my XJ6 using forced protocol at the same time, I didn't have a problem after all.

The following users liked this post:
ccfulton (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
You better believe there can be problems. Mine would go into limp mode, and I even bought a used TCM, which appeared to fix the problem. I later found that since I had bought the Realgauge mod from whitexkr and switched the ultragauge to my XJ6 using forced protocol at the same time, I didn't have a problem after all.

Thanks RJ. Just for information, RealGauge is custom designed to be 100% compatible with XK8s, XKRs. and X308 XJs ONLY.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

RJ,
Are you saying that the Ultragauge caused erratic gearbox, limp home or other faults?

I have seen something similar lately but have been using Auto Eng heavily to diagnose a high LTFT after having the intake off. Wonder if all the traffic on the CAN bus makes it unhappy.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Water temp and oil pressure dash gauges [OEM and aftermarket] simply read a voltage signal produced and sent by their respective sensor units. This is not something that would 'overload' any ECU.

Hard to believe any type of dashboard gauge could cause this issue. Especially when we know about so many other well documented dash light fault causes.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
Water temp and oil pressure dash gauges [OEM and aftermarket] simply read a voltage signal produced and sent by their respective sensor units. This is not something that would 'overload' any ECU.

Hard to believe any type of dashboard gauge could cause this issue. Especially when we know about so many other well documented dash light fault causes.
The original poster was refering to Ultragauge which gathers its data from the OBDII port and could possibly adversely effect the car's network communications if it is not set up properly or has compatibility issues.

On the XK8/R, the coolant temperature sensor is read by the ECU. This information is available on the OBDII port and is also communicated to the instrument cluster which is used to drive the coolant gauge up to 185F. From 185 to approx 230 F the instrument cluster filters the temperature data and forces the needle center scale. Above 230 F the needle moves to the overheat position within about 3-4 degrees.

The oil pressure sensor is actually a switch. The instrument cluster indicates either no oil pressure below about 10 PSI or 50 PSI above about 10 PSI.

These are not typical dashboard gauges of years past.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-04-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

I have two readers bought here in Norway from different autoparts stores.

The first one will always give me transmission fault on the dash when hooked up, despite reading codes fine. The fault light disappears when the reader is disconnected.
The second one, which is a bluetooth device used with the Torque app in my phone, works without any problems or ghost warnings.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Default seems alright but time well tell

Well I disconnected ultra guage and started car. She is not on the road yet but pulled her into yard and warmed up. Went fwd and back a couple of times and all seems good. I am going to leave the ultra guage disconnected for now. And once back on the road will see how it goes. I hope thats what it is actually.... Did read that if the car was fine and only acting up recently ( I have had the guage installed for over a year and no problems ) you should reset and then force protocol
.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;}
.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;}Restoring an UltraGauge:
1. Unplug UltraGauge
2. Set the ignition to the RUN position
3. Press and hold the MENU key.
4. Plug in UltraGauge.
5. Wait 5 seconds, Release the MENU key. The MENU system will start.
6. Select UltraGauge Setup.. --> Restore ALL Defaults.

Any way time well tell. Will be back on this post either way. Other than that I cant wait to go for cruise. Running good other than that. ( knock on wood dash )

Howard