XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gearbox question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default gearbox question.

Hello guys, had a bit of a nightmare with the gearbox as previously reported. In a nutshell new reconditioned unit fitted but shows gearbox fault and is in limp home mode but drives. The shop that sold me the unit is 40 miles away and I propose to drive it down to them next week. I have been informed the front clutches may be stick on which makes it jump into 4th gear. Its under gtee and the supplier is going to undertake the repair. Just a bit concerened the car will make the trip to the shop, he said the run may free off the clutches on the way? Are these clutch plates paper as the xjs are? This issue has cost me big time and it needs sorting out asap and I am reluctant to shell out £85 for outside transporting the car to the shop.
Any advice re running the car the 40 miles welcomes.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtyH
Hello guys, had a bit of a nightmare with the gearbox as previously reported. In a nutshell new reconditioned unit fitted but shows gearbox fault and is in limp home mode but drives. The shop that sold me the unit is 40 miles away and I propose to drive it down to them next week. I have been informed the front clutches may be stick on which makes it jump into 4th gear. Its under gtee and the supplier is going to undertake the repair. Just a bit concerened the car will make the trip to the shop, he said the run may free off the clutches on the way? Are these clutch plates paper as the xjs are? This issue has cost me big time and it needs sorting out asap and I am reluctant to shell out £85 for outside transporting the car to the shop.
Any advice re running the car the 40 miles welcomes.
First off....All automatic transmission clutches are like paper, unless you get a car before the late 60s.

2nd question is If someone can follow you to the repair facility, which you would need any way, and the supplier said that the drive may loosen up the clutches, he is taking responsibility for the transmission repair. Call him back, just to make sure. At the very worst of situations, the trans will only make it part way, which would lessen the tow cost. If it jumps into 4th gear, and there is no slipping, and you will not have a lot of stops, just keep your speed down......That is what I would do, especially if the shop told you you could drive there. Just make sure that is what they said. I personally think there is an extra fiber disc in a drum. I used to do this to kids in my class, so they would remember to count parts......Be cool....Mike

The following users liked this post:
ArtyH (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 12:04 PM

Hi Mike, thanks for the info, was thinking along those lines myself, need someone to get me back home
You lost me with the comment " I personally think there is an extra fiber disc in a drum. I used to do this to kids in my class, so they would remember to count parts...... " May be a cross transatlantic thing? Can you explain please? The box had stood without oil for over a year from what he told me.
Many thanks,
Arty

Old 06-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Each transmission drum(the thing the hydraulic fluid pressurizes) has a specific number of steels, and fibers in each drum. Think of the steels as a brake disc, except much much thinner, and the fibers as the brake pad, except much much thinner, and completely covering their steel backing. If there is an extra steel, or fiber disc, in a drum, it would not be able to freewheel in the drum, causing the drum to remain locked. In a lot of transmission rebuilders, they are rebuilding many transmissions a day, and the steels and fiber rings are just sitting on a pole. Every now and then a rebuilder will put one too many fibers in a clutch pack, because they might stick together, or he had a really bad night, and had to go to work in the morning, smelling of alcohol, and not being totally into the job, for a couple of hours.....I hope this explains things. I hope your clutch pack breakes free, but unless you start out about 10 times, we won't know if the pack will break free, and if it does, we won't know if there is damage to one or more of the fiber discs. Don't try this unless you want to have your car towed to the rebuilder. So long as it starts off, in first, and shifts to fourth, I don't think you will have any problems......Good luck....Mike

ArtyH (06-28-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 05:27 PM

Thanks for that info Mike now I know a bit more about the workings of the box. As far as I know the box is in limp home mode and the garage said it bumped into 4th and I took that to mean it bypassed 1, 2 and 3rd. I will check again on monday when I go to pay for the work. Many thanks again for the explanation.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Did you try using the J-gate shifts? what is the outcome?
Do a hardreset then only shift (except reverse) using the manual side see what happens. It might get you there just fine.

Last edited by jamdmyers; 06-27-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: sp
ArtyH (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:55 AM

Hi jamdmyers, thanks for that suggestion but i think the guy at the garage tried that without success. Good suggestion though and I am all for good suggestions.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Do you have the OBDII codes?

Keep in mine that this transmission is electrically controlled with a trans control module and a shifting control module that is internal to the trans and both tell the trans when to shift. I would be hard pressed to say what is going on without the codes.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Well, found out what the code is and its not good, code P1722.
From everything I have read its the A drum.
The car is to be recovered by " Team Valley Transmissions " on Friday morning.
The manger Paul has assured me that the auto box will be removed and repaired under the warranty.
Thunderbird 1 has been off the road for six weeks now and I am feeling very frustrated, especially with the good weather we are experiencing at this time, and its expected to last for a few more days, and that will most probably be the end of our summer.
I will keep you all posted and thanks for the interest shown so far.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:11 AM

Another quick update:
The car was recovered by Team Valley Transmissions on 3rd July. I rang the office up yesterday to get a progress report. I was told the piston in the front clutch pack was faulty and was on order, sue in next week. However the kick in the proverbials is, they are on holiday next week for 2 weeks. So it looks like August before I get him back!
I am quickly loosing patience with the whole situation and think I should have stuck with Thunderbird 2 ( XJS )

Old 08-05-2015, 05:05 PM

Picked the car up today following the repair to the box, drove home like a dream and really smooth changes, took it for its mot and it passed so looking good. Counting and chickens......Drove around as I missed the car, we were apart for 2 months, then yellow light restricted performance. Code is p305 which I believe is the back o/s coil pack, I think I have the 4 wire type will check tomorrow, can get one for around 15 quid off ebay.
Question, Am I jinxed? Any comments on my reasoning above or my question, please post.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Arty,

Good to hear the transmission is finally done.

I'd suggest switching the coil position and seeing if the code changes with it before assuming it's duff.

Graham

ArtyH (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Look up with the missing digit added! Probably P0305

ArtyH (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Arty,

Good to hear the transmission is finally done.

I'd suggest switching the coil position and seeing if the code changes with it before assuming it's duff.

Graham
Good idea Graham, but to cover things bought one off ebay earlier for £11, a drop in the ocean compared to what has been spent getting this far.
Thanks for the support

Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Look up with the missing digit added! Probably P0305
Yes JagV8 that code is correct. I had one hell of a day yesterday and stress levels a bit on the high side, when I did the post last night it was on my better half's tablet and I was tired. Just hope that is the problem!
Thanks for the input.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 AM

Yesterday I checked for the coil pack fault, and found a bolt loose on top of the gearbox housing, also the air filter clamp was loose, the rubber mounted bolt had been sheared off and there were spill marks from some liquid on the rocker cover N/S.
I repaired the sheared rubber to metal bolt. Tightened up the clamp on the air box and tie clamped a few wires that were left loose.
O.K so then I changed the coil pack in the driver side rear plug and it cleared the fault ( originally PO305 ), ran for some petrol today and restricted performance light came on again after fill up, journey about 14 miles. Cleared PO354 code this time, but fault resumed.
Am I missing something? Is this still a coil problem?
Also showing Traction control fault.
On return car seemed quite hot, but we all know about the original gauge not being of any use, however it is a warm day, about 22 degrees.
Any advice appreciated.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

P0354 would be coil #4. If fluid's got in then it may have upset the coil - or the wiring/connector of course. Maybe swap 2 coils and see if the fault moves.

ArtyH (08-10-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the reply JagV8. When I changed the coils yesterday I changed the 4th coil out and put the 3rd coil in its place, effectively changing 3 to 4. Then put the replacement secondhand one on the 4th plug. No fluid ingress of any kind.It worked for about 14 miles, I went to fill up with petrol, switched off, fueled up then the yellow light came on with reduced performance. Checked with the OBD11 unit and found it was the PO354 coil again. I am leaning towards a wire fault or connector on the wire side of the circuit. Could be and earth or short or open cct, or just a bad connection me thinks? If I trace the cable backwards where will the power control module be sighted, is it far from the back plug.
Reason I ask is because I doubt if there has been much care taken with Thunderbird 1 while he was getting the repair work done the last time, as it was under warranty, hence the above listed sightings. If it was a rush job, and cables were just bent out of compliance, that may account for the " NEW " problem which did not exist before being put in for the warranty work.

Last edited by ArtyH; 08-09-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am seeing that you are getting the same code after the coil swap, I would be looking at the plug.

ArtyH (08-10-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Its a new platinum plug installed when I replaced the tensioners last summer. Never thought about it being the plug, I've still got the old ones in one of my linbins so will swap it out after work tomorrow. Great shout, many thanks Gus.

Quick Reply: gearbox question.