XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ghost living in my door

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ghost living in my door

I have the weirdest thing happening to my 2004 XK8. Something is keeping my from locking my car and setting the alarm. I get the "driver door open" message, as well as the windows going down by themselves. Also they only go down when I open the door, not back up like they used to. I tried resetting the limit switches more than once. any ideas???

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Try two things-

1) a hard reset of the car's electronics- sometimes weird things can happen with the electrics when the car's been sitting for extended periods.

2) check your battery for full voltage. Again, when the voltage drops (as it probably has), the electronics can get very wonky and throw out all kinds of messages.

HARD RESET PROCEDURE:

1. Ignition OFF.

2. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3. Turn key to ignition ON position.

4. Touch disconnected NEGATIVE terminal of battery to the still-connected POSITIVE terminal for 15 seconds or so.

4. Turn ignition back OFF.

5. Reconnect NEGATIVE terminal to battery.

Then start her up and see if things are better. But as above, you need to make sure your battery is at FULL STRENGTH.

Note that anytime you disconnect the battery, you must reprogram the windows. With the doors closed, raise each window to the top and continue to hold button until you hear a faint "click," about an additional 3 seconds. Then lower each window to the bottom and continue to hold the button until you hear the same "click." Voila, you've reprogrammed the windows.

The following users liked this post:
hradical (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Now THAT, is a good post!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM

The weird thing is that the car is a daily driver so it hasn't been sitting around. I will give that a try. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If that doesn't work (after resetting your windows...for a convertible), you likely have a bad microswitch in the door latch. These switches often go, as both my door handles were replaced by the dealer at only 30k miles (within a couple years of new). There's a few good threads on getting the latch out and either repairing or replacing that microswitch. If I were you, I'd get a salvage handle, dismantle that one to replace the switch, then install that one when you've got it down. Maybe even one of the members on here that have experience with the switch could help you or do the service.

The following users liked this post:
hradical (01-24-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM

I saw the thread by Dr.DSP and I am now anxiously awaiting my new mirco switches. I ordered them from Mouser Electronics in Texas. Their part # is
653-D2SW-3L3MS. The cost was $4.63 each.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hradical
I saw the thread by Dr.DSP and I am now anxiously awaiting my new mirco switches. I ordered them from Mouser Electronics in Texas. Their part # is
653-D2SW-3L3MS. The cost was $4.63 each.
Just had the same thing happen. I was getting ready to order it. I'm curious the price I see is $5.67 and it's the same part. Please let me know how it goes.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by David's XKR
Just had the same thing happen. I was getting ready to order it. I'm curious the price I see is $5.67 and it's the same part. Please let me know how it goes.
They must have raised their prices. The procedure was pretty easy to do. Just make sure to watch the video that is on the forum. I only did the driver's door and it took me about one hour to complete.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
HARD RESET PROCEDURE:

1. Ignition OFF.

2. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3. Turn key to ignition ON position.

4. Touch disconnected NEGATIVE terminal of battery to the still-connected POSITIVE terminal for 15 seconds or so.

4. Turn ignition back OFF.

5. Reconnect NEGATIVE terminal to battery.

Then start her up and see if things are better. But as above, you need to make sure your battery is at FULL STRENGTH.

Note that anytime you disconnect the battery, you must reprogram the windows. With the doors closed, raise each window to the top and continue to hold button until you hear a faint "click," about an additional 3 seconds. Then lower each window to the bottom and continue to hold the button until you hear the same "click." Voila, you've reprogrammed the windows.
I'd just like to add to the excellent post above , make sure you have the radio code handy as you will need it after doing the hard reset or disconnecting the battery ,

All the best

NikasilNik

Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by NikasilNik
I'd just like to add to the excellent post above , make sure you have the radio code handy as you will need it after doing the hard reset or disconnecting the battery ,
All the best
NikasilNik
Most (maybe not all) U.S. XKs do not need a Code. My car came with a Code Card but doesn't need it.

I think that it's possible for a Jag Dealer to re-program a radio that needs a Code so that it no longer needs it.