XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good deal???

Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal???

check this out and give me your opinions please.....Any issues with 2005 supercharged models????

Jaguar : XK | eBay

Looks pretty sweet to me.....What do you Jaguar experts have to say??? Should i pull the trigger??? Thanks, jd.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Search through the FAQ section for the possible issues to look for with these cars. Otherwise, the "Buy It Now" price seems very good for such a low mileage example in a color combination that you don't see all that often. Run a CarFax or do some similar investigating to make sure about the past history.

Good luck.

Doug

Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2cents:
It is a good looking car, Salsa red is hard to find.

From what I can see in the pics...one wheel has some rash, you will need to have it refurbished most likely. Use that as a negotiating point, they may even be able to fix it for you, but those BBS wheels are more complicated than one piece rims so I'm not sure if they can do it.

CarFax seemed good...no accidents.
CarFax also said the oil was just changed.
Ask about the spare tire, see if it's been used.
Ask about dings and any road chips on the nose.
Non smoker car/odors/water damage, etc.
Tire wear. Amount of tread left. Tires are expensive on that car and you can't rotate them...another good negotiating point if it needs new tires.
No additional options it seems, except the Sepang wheels.
31k is pretty low mileage, hard pressed to find one with less unless you are patient.
(I can sell you a new TAN leather Momo gear shift if you do buy...I didn't need it, the car I eventually bought has the charcoal interior)
Check the seat wear and carpeting/floor mats...to me, that is how you can tell if a driver takes care of his car.
I didn't look at convertibles but I know there are some key items to check on them others have mentioned on this site, especially the hydraulics.
Not sure why they had the right plastic cover off, lying on top of the supercharger??...probably nothing.

The main points/rarities to this car in my opinion are: Salsa Red, Sepang wheels and 31k miles.
29.9k is probably a good blue book price with that mileage, but there may be wear or imperfections that make a dealer price a car aggressively. I'm paranoid when it comes to dealers. I've been lied to (or failed to mention) every time I've looked at a Dealer car as to the condition. Dealers are very forgiving in their what they classify as "excellent/show room" condition.

Remember sales tax and ext. warranty if available

Hope that helps!

Last edited by topherscott; 08-12-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Received 6,240 Likes on 5,442 Posts

The fact that it is one owner is also a plus.

BRUTAL is close to Houston, maybe you could do a deal with him to give it the once over?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Default thanks

I really appreciate the great detailed input. I think it's a great car..I've got a deposit on it for $28,395.00 with them fixing any rim road rash issues .

I've now just gotta decide whether I'm completely out of my mind for spending this kind of bread right now for a car/toy that I frankly don't need. It would simply be a weekend type car.....Kinda alot of jack for a toy. With tax and tag I'm gonna be well over 30K on this. I was originally wanting to drop maybe 15K on a older Jag, but this one has literally everything that I was wanting.....Right color, light interior, right mileage, supercharged, one owner, reasonable pickup location for driving it back to Fla.

Any other opinions are still surely sought after and welcome.....Thanks, JD.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had my 2005 XKR Coupe four years now and it has been a great car...no issues. The price and specs on the car you are planning to buy look good but having a JagTech expert look it over would be money well spent.

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy the new toy.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I see the write up lists 18" Hydra wheels---the car has 20" Sepangs on it. I've got the same car with the exception of mine being a 2006 and different color. I paid $33,500 one year ago and had 28K miles on it. The dealer also did maint. and replaced the tires with Michelin Pilot A/S which I figured is worth $1000 or more. The only problem I've had is the S/C intercooler pump ($100 fix) which I did myself and trying to keep within the posted speed limit. Good Luck---it's a beautiful car.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice Ride. I too have an '05 R. My supercharger intercooler pump had to be changed too - around 45K miles. I love the BBS wheels, but they are a biatch like was mentioned - can't rotate tires, tires are a little more, refurb isn't straight forward, but man they look good. I really love mine, and if you're between an 8 and R, go for the R because eventually you'll wish you did.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

get it, that's a great color combo, not seen very often for sure. Do check and confirm the nav dvd is in the drive (in the boot...get used to the british terminology) and that the convertible cover is included...that'll cost you $250 next week if you don't.

How many keys...you should get at least one black, and one green key. The green is the valet. Two black keys would be IDEAL, because it'll cost about $3-400 for another black one programmed/cut at the dealer, and that doesn't include an extra remote.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I would have paid 22k for that car you should have waited to the winter time to buy a convertible. You probably could have bought and saved alot. Thats what I did waited to the winter and purchased for a low price.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM

I'm grateful so many of you have chimed in here....Judging by what i can find comparable on ebay motors, I'm probably paying top dollar at $28,369.00......Out the door I'm looking at $30,600.00. So the way I see it, I'm probably losing 5K the minute I pull off the lot. This bothers me.....But from what i've been seeing out there, this color/engine combo doesn't come around that often which leaves me paying a premium....I'm not gonna be happy unless this car has everything I'm wanting.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this bright Red color will be re-sale selling advantage??? Or a dis-advantage????

(I always like to have an exit re-sale strategy just in case I end up unhappy with this car).

Keep the comments coming please.....JD.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you're worrying too much. It sounds like a good deal for a nice, fully optioned, rare color, late model, low mileage XKR. Similar ones around me sell in the low/mid 30's.

In the end, if you like the car and think it'll make you happy then buy it. If you're not feeling it, don't. But that's a feeling you gotta sort out yourself

Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

JD,

Opinions are like arm pits---people typically have two and they both stink. I looked at at a red 05' XKR and liked the color but my logical self figured if I was doing 79 on the freeway in a 70 MPH zone I would be pulled over by the patrol before the volkswagen doing the same thing. I now have a silver XKR and guess what---I still get the stink eye by the local police. Hey what the hay---you're driving a jag. If that's what you want make the guy an offer anf be prepared to walk---there will be others.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Yeah, good points.....Maybe I am over playing the stress level here.....I guess this kind of purchase is more for the love of the game than it is about practicality anyway.....Still 31K is more than I've ever paid for a car...lol!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I have seen lots of 05-06 XKR Convertibles in Dec-Feb for under 23k some as low as 20k. So if I was you I would wait because you are already paying a premium bc its summer right now. There is an 06 XKR Convertible with 83k they asking $19,900 for it. You will have to travel to get an XKR for a good price though. But if you need this car in the summer and dont want to wait check this one out.

06 XKR Convertible 83k $19,900

2006 Jaguar XKR Base, $19,900 - Cars.com

Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Looks good jagx but wrong color and way too many miles for my comfort level. As far as over paying.....I agree there are cheaper ones out there but I'm trying to come to terms that a one owner southern car with low miles, clean carfax, the exact hard to find color options with the right grill engine and wheels comes at a premium sales price.....But i know I'm gonna loose my shirt on this one the minute i pull out of the dealership.....

Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mileage is everything on a car like this. Values decline more rapidly as you get into the higher mileage listings. No option convertible XKR with high mileage are easy to come by. You should expect to pay for an XKR with low mileage, a healthy record and more options because they are much harder to find. I waited for two years to find the XKR coupe I liked

Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

The color won't be a real advantage vs the other ones, all the jaguar xk colors (save the zircon blue - sorry Frog) are equally popular. Whether or not it depreciates $5k after you drive it off the lot, should not matter if you plan on keeping it for more than a few years, which most of us I believe do. Most, like me, keep these cars till the fall apart, or we can't afford the slightly higher annual maintenance costs.

My first red vehicle, scared me initially as being too 'in your face', but I quickly learned to LOVE that color and vehicle. Coming out into the parkign lot and seeing it every day never got tiresome. You'll catch even more eyes than say a silver or black paint, but I wouldn't worry about that either.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Okay...What's the deal with Zircon Blue???? Is that not a very desirable color for re-sale?????

Old 08-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

Zircon would not be my last choice, and I think its a color that would appeal to a smaller percentage of buyers. Again, personal preference, but if I were to poll the colors, i do not believe it would be fare very well. I would also venture that the number of xk8/rs produced in zircon are less as well, so its proportional.