XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good results with plastic polish...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good results with plastic polish...

One of the hassles I had with my XK8 was the clock - I'm actually thinking it might have been gunk dripping from the rear view mirror, but either way, the clock was a bit melted and couldn't be adjusted..

I got a replacement from a breakers yard, but it was scratched to bits - so I had the choice, one set of clocks that works, but looks scratched and horrible, or one that looks okay but doesn't work...

cue the acrylic polish!

I used two chemicals: a bottle of Fenwicks Windowize "scratch remover for plastic acrylic windows", and Meguiars ScatchX 2.0 (I couldn't get plastX).

Got both of them from Halfords in the UK.

I found that the fenwicks gave a *really* smooth finish, but just couldn't do anything for the deeper scratches, so moved to the Meguiars - polishing by hand with a lint free cloth got rid of the deeper scratches surprisingly well!

that ended up a wee bit hazy though, so I used the fenwicks one again, this time with my Dremel multi tool and the cloth polishing wheel.

I hunted for a while to find a way to do this, so posted here in the hope that it's useful for another Jag lover...

The following 2 users liked this post by TheoJones:
K.Westra (10-26-2011), The Coupe (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheoJones
One of the hassles I had with my XK8 was the clock - I'm actually thinking it might have been gunk dripping from the rear view mirror, but either way, the clock was a bit melted and couldn't be adjusted..

I got a replacement from a breakers yard, but it was scratched to bits - so I had the choice, one set of clocks that works, but looks scratched and horrible, or one that looks okay but doesn't work...

cue the acrylic polish!

I used two chemicals: a bottle of Fenwicks Windowize "scratch remover for plastic acrylic windows", and Meguiars ScatchX 2.0 (I couldn't get plastX).

Got both of them from Halfords in the UK.

I found that the fenwicks gave a *really* smooth finish, but just couldn't do anything for the deeper scratches, so moved to the Meguiars - polishing by hand with a lint free cloth got rid of the deeper scratches surprisingly well!

that ended up a wee bit hazy though, so I used the fenwicks one again, this time with my Dremel multi tool and the cloth polishing wheel.

I hunted for a while to find a way to do this, so posted here in the hope that it's useful for another Jag lover...
Good for you mate! Thanks for the tip. Ime a Brit, but live in the State now, but am familiar with Halfords..my favourite place when I was a teenager in a Renault 5 Gordini...ahh thos were the days!

Cheers!
Andrew Jones,
Keystone, South Dakota, USA