Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having start up problems, looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having start up problems, looking for some advice

Hello everyone
Hoping someone can give me some basic things to check.

I have a 2000 XKR 4.0 V8. its been running fine and no issues. Pulled into the drive last night, shut it off. Came out a few hours later and and it barely ran (sounded like it was on two plugs) and would die. Thought i would leave it overnight to see if that would help. Now it just cranks, no firing. I'm wondering if it might be some sort of fuel problem, but i am guessing.

I have only had it for three weeks, but it has run perfectly no noises, no wierd things at all. in fact it It has been a dream to drive. No engine lights coming on or warning lights, i did get a brief failsafe engine mode slash but nothing else.

Im wondering if there are any simple things i can check before i have a meltdown over it.

Thanks for any info or help.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Find the schrader valve for fuel pressure testing on the fuel rail. Crank the engine. You should have a powerful squirt of fuel when you depress the valve. If not, suspect the fuel pump or fuel filter. My money is on the fuel pump.

The following users liked this post:
Wadeyzf (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Great call, i found the valve, no fuel coming out of it at all. At least i know what area the issue is now.

Thanks

Wade

Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Wade, your symptoms mirror mine of a couple of months ago exactly. My money would also be on the fuel pump, but I'd also hedge my bets and confirm the operation of the relay (or relays, I'm not sure about your XKR) and signal from the ECM before proceeding with the replacement.

Good luck from another Californian.

Steve

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Hi Steve
thanks for the advice. I swapped out the relay with another and no change, i checked all the fuses and they seemed to be getting power. I have to check power at the fuel pump in the morning, (got way too hot out here today) so hopefully i will track it down finally in the morning.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

I see from your picture you have a coupe, which has easier fuel pump access than the convertible. This thread may help: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...bwoofer-70631/

Wadeyzf (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the link, that does look easier. I will at least give that a go if i have to (which i think is the direction this is going) take the pumps out.

Thanks again for the link

Wade

Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Done some more troubleshooting. I dont have a live feed to fuse #7, which is the feed to the fuel pumps from what i have found out. I am not sure why that is though. As far as i can tell the relay is doing its thing. If i jump terminal 30 and 87 then i get a live to the fuse and a live to the white block conector at the pumps, but still no pressure. I did switch out the relays, but still no joy. I think i have to find out why i dont have a live to fuse 7 first anf go from there.

I will admit that electrical issues are not my forte by any means, never seemed to grasp them well.

I must say thanks to everyone who has offered help, each piece of advice has taught me something valuable and has helped me a great deal

Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

When you turn on the ignition, the relay will only activate to prime the pump. If the engine does not start, the ECU turns off the relay eventually as a safety feature if you leave the ignition on.

If when you jump the relay you get live at the pump, and do not hear the pump then there is a problem with the pump and/or pump lead wires in the tank.

When you get inside the tank , you will see the lead wires have a black molded plastic module attached to them. This is an electrical noise filter. Sometimes this gets burnt up internally when the pump fails. Be sure to check the continuity of this filter.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:17 AM

I had my wife crank it and checked the fuse, i get a live to fuse #7 when it is cranking (to the brown wire on the the white block connector) but not when the ignition is in run mode, i dont seem to get a live going to anything then.

Does that sound like the fuel pumps are shot? i have no fuel pressure no matter what, so it makes sense they arent working, i dont mind replacing them, but would hate to do it and then i still have the same issue.

your help has been invaluable, really has taught me alot on this issue.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Wade, sorry I did not notice before that you had an XKR.

On an R, there is a test you can do to confirm the primary pump and/or wiring in the tank is bad (assuming your secondary pump is still good).

Simply remove the primary fuel pump relay only. The primary fuel pump relay is second from the left in the row of 5 relays in the trunk fuesbox.

Then try to start the car about 5 or 6 times. On about the 6th time, the secondary pump should take over and the car will run normally using the secondary pump as a temporary backup.

(In regular operation the secondary pump just provides extra fuel during high throttle.)

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-09-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Hi
I tried your suggestion but no luck on it firing up. Of course the second pump could be shot, i havent driven it hard at all and i know the previous owner didnt, so its feasable it isnt working either and neither of us knew it had gone out. The only change now is i am getting a restricted performance on the message board after i jumped the relay.
Not sure what to do next but Im guessing my next step seems to be to replace the pumps.

Thanks again

Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wadeyzf
Hi
I tried your suggestion but no luck on it firing up. Of course the second pump could be shot, i havent driven it hard at all and i know the previous owner didnt, so its feasable it isnt working either and neither of us knew it had gone out. The only change now is i am getting a restricted performance on the message board after i jumped the relay.
Not sure what to do next but Im guessing my next step seems to be to replace the pumps.

Thanks again
Yes, it is fairly common for the secondary pump to be out and it not be noticed.

Restricted performance happened because the ECU detected that the relay was removed when you tried to start.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 PM

so do you advise just getting new pumps? i know you dont have all the info, but given what i have told you, do you think thats a good direction to go?

do you know how to reset the restricted performance message?

thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Just to confirm what WhiteXKR has said, if the correct relay terminals are jumped with the ignition on, the pump should be heard running. The relay diagram is moulded onto the side of the relay. you may want to try both in case one is still able to turn.

Wadeyzf (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hi

Thanks again
If you are sure that you are getting power to the pumps and you cannot hear them run ... then it is the pumps. But, be sure as it's a nasty job.

Aftermarket, the Denso are good. Rockauto was selling a Denso number that included the specific filter sock whereas everyone else was selling the more generic part.

You need two plus a fuel filter.

If the link leads are burnt ... bypass them with fuel rated teflon insulated wire.

Wadeyzf (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

so do you advise just getting new pumps? i know you dont have all the info, but given what i have told you, do you think thats a good direction to go?

do you know how to reset the restricted performance message?

thanks
+1 on Plums advice.

The Restricted performance message will go away after a few drive cycles with the primary relay back in place, or it can be reset with an OBDII reader.

Wadeyzf (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Thanks, it seems like i am going to take the pumps out, i dont hear anythign coming from the tank at anytime, so i assume something isnt right in there. Thanks for that link, i would never have thought of pulling the speaker out, it gives you all sorts of room.
Hopefully this goes well and i guess if it doesnt at least iw ill know the pumps are good. :-)

i will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again

Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Last piece of advice ...

anytime you are opening a fuel tank completely remove the battery and store it waayyy over there. Don't just undo the cable ... remove the battery.

Wadeyzf (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 PM

Well i got the two pumps out easily enough, i was suprised that it was reasonably painless. Luckily i have small hands too.

I assume that if i run 12 volts across the pumps terminals then they should do something, correct?

also, does someone know how to open the trunk when the battery is out of it? my neighbour closed it on me before i could tell him. Im hoping this is an easy open.

Again, thanks for that link for doing it through the speaker, that was awesome.

Quick Reply: Having start up problems, looking for some advice