XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help- keys locked in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its a coupe, get into the passenger compartment, remove the subwoofer (in the middle of the rear deck), and you have access to the whole trunk.....(I had to do it myself)!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went out and order a new key.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Jaguar Keys Trapped in Trunk Solution

My keys were trapped in my trunk for two days! I was able to get into my cars cab but my cars trunk switch and valet switch were disabled because my Jaguar timed out and the anti-theft program went into full bitch mode. I did not have a spare set and every dealer or locksmith I talked with said I needed to get a new key and have it programmed for my car. But with some research and hard work I found a solution. Here are the steps.

1. Take the bottom of your rear seat out. This is the easiest step. Me and a friend were just able to life it out because it was attached by plastic clips.

2. The back of the rear seats is attached by 6 10mm screws (bottom of the rear seats). Take those screws out.

3. The rear seats have side arms. Take the side arms. There are two bolts underneath each one. Take those bolts out.

4. After taking those bolts out you will now be able to lift the rear seat up about 10-12 inches and gain access to the rear of the trunk

5. Reach back behind the seat and pull the seats release lever to fold the seats down. This will give you full trunk access.

It took us half an hour to make this work and I paid my friend $100 for his hard work and saving me some money! Good luck!

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyP
Ok, I found this forum because I did it; well actually my wife locked both sets of keys with fobs in the trunk. Do not waste your time trying to find some magic tab or other mechanism under the license plate. There is nothing in the trunk lid that you can press poke, or finesse. Go ahead and take a good look at it and you'll see what I mean. If you have a black key, put it in the little keyhole hidden between the characters of the XK8 emblem. If you are stuck with only a valet key and your car is in valet mode, there is no hope of getting your trunk open without a key BUT, if you are good at fishing, you can get your keys out of the trunk as I did yesterday 8-26-12 after over a dozen locksmiths said they couldn't help.

Open the fuel filler door and take off the fuel cap (please don't smoke!). After that, there are three torx (45 size) screws that need to come out so you can pull the rubber facia off the neck. One piece just removes and the actual rubber around the neck can be folded down below the top to get it out of the way. You now have a gap between the filler neck and the sheet metal. If you look in there, you will see the felt-looking trunk liner. You can push that down with a stick or long screwdriver and open up a space to look right into the trunk. My keys were hidden by a full size beach towel and a other large items. I was able to pull the beach towel out of the trunk through this space and then could move things around with a long stick until I saw the keys. Then I taped a strong little magnet to the end of the stick and retrieved the keys. You could do that with a coat hanger or other hook, but the neodymium magnet grabbed them great. This whole operation, including moving bags of vegetables and wine in the way of the keys took about 30 minutes, including reassembly of the fuel neck area. It certainly beat paying a locksmith or a dealer for a new key.

Everything went back together just fine and we learned a lesson.
That was amazing! After waiting 2 and a half hours for the RAC to show up when I had locked my keys in the trunk and accidentally pressed the valet button, they said they could do nothing but break it open and recommended I get a locksmith. Another hour and a half later the locksmith arrives and, after a couple more hours says he can't do anything either unless I get the other key or order a new one, or get it towed where someone can get access underneath it. All options are going to cost me between 120 and 200 pounds. Then I find this thread, spend £12 on tools at a local hardware shop, and 30 minutes later, I've got my keys back. No damage, no additional cost and no more waiting around for hours for someone to find a solution. Your post saved the day. Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
JagChic (05-21-2022)
Old 09-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I hope you contacted the RAC and the locksmith to tell them you had succeeded.
I also hope to see your intro in the new members section.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeeadyjr
I HAVE JOINED THE KEYS LOCK IN THE TRUNK CLUB HELP ANYONE PLZ
Don't you have a Key Fob ??If not, why not.?? They can be purchased froman Auto Locksmith for around $45 including programming.Never have that problem again if you have one!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Try a locksmith

When I purchased my '02 XK8 it only had a v-key. The dealer got a "high tech" locksmith who cut and programed a key and fob. It had to cost less then a Jag dealer. He had a truck and came to the dealership. Did the job in half an hour.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
If you haven't pushed the valet button then the valet key will open the trunk
valet key is locked in glove box.need key to open glove box.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

The boot latch assembly is all in a box section which forms the cill of the rear hatch (or bootlid). The XJ has it inside the lid and is different.

The release is actuated by a cable pulling on a lever placed mid way along the opening and inside the box. Look carefully at the lid closure and you'll see a gap under the bottom edge ------------------>

Name:  KKBootLid1_zpsd072746e.jpg
Views: 3229
Size:  100.0 KB

Drill a 4mm hole through as shown in the diagram below - that will allow you to slide a 3mm dia screwdriver in and actuate the lever - popping the lid. Close the hole with a blind grommet afterwards. ----------->

Name:  BootLockfix_zpsd4d404ee.jpg
Views: 3195
Size:  50.0 KB

Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drilling works great. I have a 2003 XKR and the hole worked perfect. I have a black car, so you can't even notice the hole and I have not even installed the grommet yet.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a coupe, remove the subwoofer... you can then reach into the trunk....may need a long grabber depending on exactly where they are!