Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hold onto your XKR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
"..........Oh I may ruffle some feathers saying this but I think the X100 is a much better looking car than the E Type, much better and safer to drive too........"
Just speaking for myself, no ruffled feathers here. Everybody has the right to be wrong at least once in their lifetime.

"better looking" and "much better" are entirely subjective terms. Now of course safety is measurable, no issue there. But "better looking" and "much better" bring into play what one's expectations are. The e type is much better at meeting some types of my expectations, while my XKR is better at meeting other criteria.

The e types are better at some things, and the XKRs are better at completely other things.

For example, I've driven past hundreds of good looking woman in my XKR, and none of them ever flagged me down , jumped in front of me, and begged for a ride. That kind of thing happened numerous times when I was driving the e types.

so, score ONE, for the tired old e type.

Z

Last edited by zray; 10-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by zray

Just speaking for myself, no ruffled feathers here. Everybody has the right to be wrong at least once in their lifetime.

"better looking" and "much better" are entirely subjective terms. Now of course safety is measurable, no issue there. But "better looking" and "much better" bring into play what one's expectations are. The e type is much better at meeting some types of my expectations, while my XKR is better at meeting other criteria.

The e types are better at some things, and the XKRs are better at completely other things.

For example, I've driven past hundreds of good looking woman in my XKR, and none of them ever flagged me down , jumped in front of me, and begged for a ride. That kind of thing happened numerous times when I was driving the e types.

so, score ONE, for the tired old e type.

Z
Were they flagging down the E-Type or the expensive car? Dont get me wrong I think in their day they were great looking compared to their counterparts at the time. As for begging for a ride I will give you that one, hope you got her back in time for her pills

Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts

Back when this was happening, the e types were just another moderately cheap used sports car, dollar wise. On the other hand, simultaneously and in the ensuing decades, I have driven many super expensive and modern Italian and English "super" cars that came thru shops where I've worked.

NO woman ever gave these 1/2 million $$$ cars a second glance. Of course the guys were drooling .

anyone who tries to assert the e type is not one of the most beautiful cars ever made, and cannot acknowledge that it remains at a level not since obtained, is swimming upstream against a very strong current; and to what end, I haven't a clue.

Z

Old 10-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zray
Back when this was happening, the e types were just another moderately cheap used sports car, dollar wise. On the other hand, simultaneously and in the ensuing decades, I have driven many super expensive and modern Italian and English "super" cars that came thru shops where I've worked.

NO woman ever gave these 1/2 million $$$ cars a second glance. Of course the guys were drooling .

anyone who tries to assert the e type is not one of the most beautiful cars ever made, and cannot acknowledge that it remains at a level not since obtained, is swimming upstream against a very strong current; and to what end, I haven't a clue.

Z
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You like it , I dont. Does not mean either of us is wrong.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

One of each would be nice.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

That looks like a nice day at Knockhill, I'll bet the sheep were on the top of the hill!

Old 10-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
One of each would be nice.

I will take the one in the middle first then the one on the right..............

Old 12-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Auburn2...your Wall Street prediction seems far off from reality these days. I’m now in the market for a 05-06 XKR coupe...good investment or not, at least I can enjoy my money instead of watch it disappear in the stock market.

The following users liked this post:
zray (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Jbarbakow the Stock Man!!!

Originally Posted by jbarbakow
Auburn2...your Wall Street prediction seems far off from reality these days. I’m now in the market for a 05-06 XKR coupe...good investment or not, at least I can enjoy my money instead of watch it disappear in the stock market.
Wow! Got out'a there just in time! Maybe I can still afford this old XKR...………..

Billy Clyde

Old 12-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

Of course I'd like to see the values of these cars increase since I already own one but I'm not keeping it to wait for that to happen. I'm keeping it because it's my favorite car of any on the road. I've had it since the summer of 2005, when I got it with 18,000 miles on the odometer. I'm at 103,000 now and I can proudly say that this is the best looking, best built, most reliable, cheapest to maintain vehicle I've ever owned. I replaced the original battery after about 14 years and it never failed to start the car. When I tell people that, I get a dazed look in return. I think they do not believe. I don't care.
I do almost all of my own work. There was one calendar year when my maintenance cost was $0.00. All I bought was gasoline. I did an oil change just before and after that year.
I take good care of the car and it is garaged 99% of the time.
I wouldn't sell my XK8 for the prices that I see online, and I think it's one of the best examples around due to the care I take of it. Also, I'm glad it's a red convertible. Anything else and I would always have regret. I just think that a red convertible is the pinnacle of XK8s and I do believe that the value is higher because it is a red convertible. But it's not for sale until I need the money for a replacement body parts. I mean my body, not the car's.

michaelh (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h
... Also, I'm glad it's a red convertible. Anything else and I would always have regret. I just think that a red convertible is the pinnacle of XK8s and I do believe that the value is higher because it is a red convertible. ....
+1 on red being most satisfying. Although we must diverge on what constitutes red.

Red = preferred color of Santa too!

Old 12-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

True, even within the spectrum of red there is space for preferences and Jaguar gave us some choices. When I was shopping for my car in 2005, there weren't a lot of red convertibles around so my choices were limited to what was available. I am very happy with the Carnival Red and 18 inch double spoke wheels (I'm not a fan of the base 17 inch wheels). The longer I own the car, the more I think the darker, understated color is more sophisticated. Although pretty, I believe that Phoenix Red is bolder and might draw more attention from local authorities on the rare occasion that I momentarily violate some random speed limit. I can live without that. The good news is that we like our cars and they are all different. I have always drooled over an E type convertible in bold red with a black top and interior but for some reason I wouldn't have my XK8 in any other color. But if I ever get an E type....decisions, decisions. It looks good in British Racing Green, too. I need a winning lottery ticket and a bigger garage.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Stu46h,
I also have a penchant for red/lt. burgundy cars. I also have a Carnvial Red 2002 XKR which I just picked back up today after returning it to the paint shop that did the restoration to do some paint correction and to take care of a few small issues. But I also just got back about 3 weeks ago, my screaming Ferrari Red '72 De Tomaso Pantera which almost requires sunglasses, it's so bright. And my 1978 Datsun 280Z (owned since new) is the light burgundy color. I have missed my X100 and the ability to drop the top every day, but I have to say that after driving the X150 XKR coupe for the last 6 years, I detest the ride and handling quirks of the X100. It always feels like a bowl of jello compared to the ride in the X150,, and this is after all new springs, shocks and bushings in my X100. Despite this, I still love the looks and the grand feeling you get when driving it. It also garners more compliments than any car I have ever owned in over 50 years of driving, including the Pantera. After not driving the Pantera for nearly the last 5 years, I'm still just getting used to it and trying to build confidence that it won't overheat, so am taking it easy in the meantime. But it is a beast and the loudest street car I think I've ever heard. Makes a F-type sound like a pussycat.

The beastly cat home again after over 4 years

The classic cat home again after a year away

The quick and nimble cat on the prowl.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

tberg, I see that your X100 is a convertible while your X150 is a coupe, which makes the handling comparison a bit skewed. I have an X100 coupe (just a stock, garden variety XK8) and would certainly not describe its handling as soft and jiggly). I think its ride is tight and compliant, too. I have not driven an X100 vert but you make me (even more) glad I have a coupe!

Granville

zray (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by 150FHC
tberg, I see that your X100 is a convertible while your X150 is a coupe, which makes the handling comparison a bit skewed. I have an X100 coupe (just a stock, garden variety XK8) and would certainly not describe its handling as soft and jiggly). I think its ride is tight and compliant, too. I have not driven an X100 vert but you make me (even more) glad I have a coupe!

Granville

I have owned both a coupe and a convertible. The coupe feels rather taught and precise next to the convertible which is marred by chassis flex and cowl shake. In essence, yes, the convertible is more soft and jiggly. I have also driven an X150 coupe many years ago. I remember that car being very precise with a somewhat stiffer, yet still compliant enough ride. Out of all, it was definitely the most stable and sporty. The difference between the 4.2 X150 XK I drove 9 years ago, and the X100 XKR coupe I currently drive is, although not night and day, still very much noticeable.

Then again my memory may be foggy since it has been so long.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

On the first day, many years ago, when I drove the car from the previous owner's home in San Jose back down to Los Angeles, I noticed the jiggly ride and wondered immediately if I had made a mistake buying it. I then went ahead and replaced all bushings with polyurethane ones which helped slightly (although, then you had to put up with their 'groaning," I didn't get the X150 until late 2012 or early 2013, so I didn;t really compare it to anything else I was driving as it was my daily driver. When my son got in an accident with my X100, I decided I still liked it enough to spend more on it than I paid originally to restore it to almost new (after 170,0000 miles), so at that point, I replaced the springs, shocks, shock mounts, and any bushings that looked suspect, expecting that it would feel better than it did and closer to the solid rock feeling of my 2010 X150. I was wrong. The first time I drove it home the few miles, all I could think about was how jiggly, jellowy, and unsolid the ride felt. It is gorgeous in a way the X150 will never be, but believe me, there is simply no comparison in ride, handling characteristics. The newer 5.0L cars are so taut, compliant, and solid, it's just hard to go back and forth from one to the other. And obviously the power and the paddle shifters of the XKR are intoxicating and addictive. Nevertheless, I still love my 2002 XKR 'vert for its beauty, its top down cruising, it classic design, and obvious historical links to the E-type. It will never be sold from my collection.

Last edited by tberg; 12-29-2018 at 01:31 PM.