XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove steering wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove steering wheel ?

Just searching in the forum, but nothing about at least.

Someone could explain how to do on a XK8 ?

many thanks

Jag

Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

!! AIRBAGS ARE EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE AND MAKE A HORRIBLE MESS !!

Got to ask. What work do you intend to do that requires the steering wheel to be removed? If it's instrument pack, this can be done without taking the wheel off.

The battery must be disconnected and the residual charge allowed to dissipate before the airbag is disconnected.

This raises issue number one. First task is to remove the driver's airbag. It's secured with two bolts from behind and the wheel has to be turned from full LH lock to full RH lock to access these bolts. As you can't turn the steering with the engine off, this has to be done very carefully before disconnecting the battery.

Remove the bolts
Centralise the steering wheel
Disconnect the battery
Wait 5 minutes for the charge to dissipate
Lift the airbag clear of the steering wheel and disconnect the airbag harness connector
Disconnect the electrical connector within the steering wheel
Slacken but do not remove the centre securing nut
Release the wheel from the splines (it may need a good thump from behind with the palms of the hands)
Remove the centre securing nut
Remove the steering wheel feeding the wiring harness back through as you do so

The wheel is usually very tight on the splines. This is why the securing nut is only slackened until the wheel is free to move. It took a broken pair of spectacles to learn that lesson!

Make sure the wiring harnesses are repositioned exactly as they were before removal and the wheel is put back in the same place relative to the splines. Remember to reset the windows and radio station settings after the battery is reconnected.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
magnum454 (09-16-2014)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Air Bag Danger!!!!

In fact, you can't just disconnect the battery and wait. You need to "discharge" the system because ther airbag has it's own reserve power supply. Lemme see if I can find the full procedure before you start. I have already done this in order to replace my turn/light combo switch.

magnum454 (09-16-2014)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Couple of long torx screws at the back holding the air bag on, undo and disconnet/remove (you have to do something pretty stupid to set it off) large nut in the middle cant remember if its 3/4 or 7/8 (19mm/22mm) dont take the nut all the way off otherwise when you pull the steering wheel you will smack yourself in the face ....easy 10 minute job

blindside (04-08-2015)
Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 AM

ARGHHH!!!!! I would like to remove the steering wheel to repaint the leather that it's a little consumed.
Seems a NASA operation to do it.......
many thanks however

Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i need to tighten the steering wheel retaining nut on my 04 jag xtype 3.0. i have removed three screws from the telescoping rod and taken the top n bottom covers off. i also removed 4 screws from behind the steering wheel. i have the 4 spoke steering wheel. i keep reading to remove the airbag but I'm not able to and i don't see any screws holding it in place. there is space on top where i can get my fingers underneath and pull back the front plastic cover a tad but it feels like if i pull to hard i will rip it off / break it.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Disconnect Battery Before Beginning Work

Before disconnecting battery, set steering column to “manual” and extend it towards you as far as it goes. Then, ensure that the trunk and the driver’s door is open. Finally, disconnect the ground cable from battery and wait 10 min for any charge to dissipate. As long as the keys are in the ignition switch (position II), you will be able to turn the steering wheel to access & loosen the two Torx screws that secure the airbag.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:24 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag_Generation
ARGHHH!!!!! I would like to remove the steering wheel to repaint the leather that it's a little consumed.
Seems a NASA operation to do it.......
many thanks however

Just repaint/dye it while it is on. I have done mine, no big deal.

zray (01-03-2024)
Old 10-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Front running, the air bag is secured with 2 bolts at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock in the back in recessed holes. Can you find them?

The steering wheel securing bolt is dead center protruding underneath the air bag.

I love. Graham's idea about just loosening it first, I took mine off all the way then almost had a heart attack when it popped off straining the wire harness!

Hope this helps mate.

John

Old 10-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

AGAIN! You can't just disconnect the battery and wait for the system to discharge. You MUST...if you care about not having the airbag explode in your face....discharge the system manually by grounding the positive cable lead to a ground AFTER IT HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED (obviously). That drains the reserve charge that the airbag system and clockspring still have in their own circuitry. It's the same "hard discharge" procedure you do when you need to reset all your computers. Take this extra few minutes and PROTECT YOURSELF!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

It's likely a little late to mention now, but a good tip is to paint a small mark on the steering wheel spline when you remove the locking nut to indicate the location of the wheel to the spline. That way when you get ready to put the wheel back on you will be able to return it to the exact location for a proper steering wheel alignment. It is very easy to be just a few clicks off when returning the wheel, and it will not show up until you start to drive and find you are looking at the wheel 'cocked off' a few degrees.
I removed mine to redye the interior also. Without removal a large section behind the wheel will be left undyed, and can be seen whenever the wheel turns. Also makes getting to the dash behind the wheel easier for the dying.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Front running, the air bag is secured with 2 bolts at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock in the back in recessed holes. Can you find them?

The steering wheel securing bolt is dead center protruding underneath the air bag.

I love. Graham's idea about just loosening it first, I took mine off all the way then almost had a heart attack when it popped off straining the wire harness!

Hope this helps mate.

John
John, thank you for the reply and info. someone replied on how to remove the clip that i guess holds the airbag. once i did that it was easy to access the center nut.

Kind Regards,

Gary

The following 2 users liked this post by frontrunning:
Johnken (10-30-2019), PC44 (01-03-2024)
Old 10-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
AGAIN! You can't just disconnect the battery and wait for the system to discharge. You MUST...if you care about not having the airbag explode in your face....discharge the system manually by grounding the positive cable lead to a ground AFTER IT HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED (obviously). That drains the reserve charge that the airbag system and clockspring still have in their own circuitry. It's the same "hard discharge" procedure you do when you need to reset all your computers. Take this extra few minutes and PROTECT YOURSELF!
I've changed about a hundred of them with just disconnecting the Neg cable from the battery and waiting 5 min.
I can't remember ever reading your procedure in any Jag manual.

toaster (01-14-2024)
Old 10-31-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1 with redsky. Guess you cant be too careful though.

John

Old 11-02-2019, 04:06 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

If someone is interested, at the the link below there is a discussion about for how long capacitors hold their charge

do-capacitors-automatically-release-their-energy-over-time

The answers seems to be at maximum a few hours in real life

The following 2 users liked this post by Higgins:
DavidYau (11-02-2019), Johnken (11-02-2019)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:23 AM

Hi, I know this thread is ancient, but I have identical issue with my X100 steering wheel airbag, so it’s worth a try.
Do you by chance remember what/where is this clip holding the airbag?
I am fighting with this for hours already and cannot remove the damn thing.
Of course two torx screws from behind are removed.
Cheers
PC