Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inlet tract leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts
Default Inlet tract leak

Bit of misfiring at idle so I got some Bosch Iridium plugs from the US (half the price with P+P!) and put them in.
When I pulled off the air filter guess what

When the dealer changed the air filter before I bought the car he'd not put the flexible bit of the 'snorkel' properly on the filter body. There's a big gap on the underside - completely invisible until you pull the 'snorkel' off.
A bit of a pig to fix - unfortunately there's one clip on the filter box directly underneath so you can(t assemble the hose to the lid and than fit the lid.
Anyway, new plugs, leak fixed and an absolutely filthy TB cleaned and the old girl's in great form.
While I could see the TB I had a look at what 'training' does (ignition on, press to kickdown, hold 5 secs, repeat)
When I hit the kickdown you could see the butterfly flick from 90 to 100% open. The other thing it did was to make the throttle more responsive - the butterfly started to move with just the tiniest touch on the pedal- which give a totally false but very pleasing sensation of increased power.
There you go!

Attached Thumbnails Inlet tract leak-p6230002.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GGG (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
.................While I could see the TB I had a look at what 'training' does (ignition on, press to kickdown, hold 5 secs, repeat)
When I hit the kickdown you could see the butterfly flick from 90 to 100% open. The other thing it did was to make the throttle more responsive - the butterfly started to move with just the tiniest touch on the pedal- which give a totally false but very pleasing sensation of increased power.
There you go!
After the lengthy thread a few weeks ago on what to do after a battery disconnect, it's good to know throttle 'training' does something you can actually see.

Graham

Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM
GGG

Steve,
I'm doing a service today between and more and even more

When I removed the Air Filter to TB trunking to change the filter, I found the TB end rubber seal appears to be heat damaged:

Inlet tract leak-tb-trunking-connector.jpg

It's glazed and hardened.

The 4.2 trunk is secured with a Jubilee Clamp unlike the 4.0 which is held on with two bolts. Also appears to be a slightly different seal design. Never had this issue with the 4.0. Did you have any damage to this seal on your 4.2?

Graham

Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Graham,
That looks awful. I wonder what would damage it like that?
Mine looked as new (unlike the TB itself - filthy wasn't the word).
If you've got an RS account there's 494-714 which really is snake oil in an aerosol.
That would fix it. You'd need to degrease first with acetone.
ps - weather here gorgeous, 28°, been driving tractors haymaking all day, now having a Good Boy's glass or three of Red Medicine.
Not a single CEL or RP all day, thank Gawd for Perkins diesels.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 06-24-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
GGG

Graham,
That looks awful. I wonder what would damage it like that?
Mine looked as new (unlike the TB itself - filthy wasn't the word).
If you've got an RS account there's 494-714 which really is snake oil in an aerosol.
That would fix it. You'd need to degrease first with acetone.
ps - weather here gorgeous, 28°, been driving tractors haymaking all day, now having a Good Boy's glass or three of Red Medicine.
Not a single CEL or RP all day, thank Gawd for Perkins diesels.
I think I'll replace it rather than attempt to clean it up. The rubber is almost brittle on one side. As yours is like new, this must be a one off.

Given the number of posts you've made today, the Perkins must be very much better equipped than the David Brown's I used to drive!

Graham

Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Graham
the Perkins must be very much better equipped than the David Brown's I used to drive
Accross the pond, it was International Harvester or John Deere that I use to drive.
Graham that rubber on the snorkle looks pretty beat up, wise idea to replace.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Doug,
JD's are well respected here. Bad vibes with IHs and even Case, their alter ego.
We've got two Case's, wish they were Massey Fergusons.
Graham,
No moderator stuff about going OT just to show you can.
Haymaking is thirsty work, requiring beer breaks and, of course, a look at my favfor.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM
GGG

...............Graham,
No moderator stuff about going OT just to show you can...........
I was referring to the agricultural variety of DB I used to drive as a teenager during harvesting - not the DB5. That came a few years later.

Graham

Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Graham,
While you've got the 'snorkel' off would you get someone to do the 'retrain' while you watch the butterfly (that's the one in the TB, not a Queen of Spain's Fritillary) and see what you think.
I'm sure this is relevant to the Rev Sam's throttle cable adjust - I don't think that does anything.
Now the Rev Sam will Smite me with a Great Smiting.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by RCSign
........Graham that rubber on the snorkle looks pretty beat up, wise idea to replace.
It is. Can't imagine how it's got heat damage. I've ordered a replacement today.

Graham

Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM
GGG

Steve,

You know I believe every word you say so I just put the trunk back before setting the throttle.

Dealer hasn't got the rubber seal in stock. I'll check for actual butterfly movement when I fit the new seal.

(having problems with 'Queen of Spain's Fritillary' but you'd better PM the details)

Graham

Old 06-26-2012, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Steve,

(having problems with 'Queen of Spain's Fritillary' but you'd better PM the details)

Graham
Just me being facetious (What! Impossible!) It's a particularly beautiful butterfly we get here

How does the rubber bit fit onto the plastic ? It looked to me as if they were somehow moulded together but if they come apart it might let me check for sure that I've got the air filter end properly located.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 AM
GGG

We all have frequent reason to grumble about Jaguar not fixing design faults but they've gone in the opposite direction with this Inlet Duct and made a perfectly satisfactory design worse!

The original 4.0 litre Duct had a push fit rubber seal at the TB end and the Duct was secured to the TB with two hexagon bolts. I never had a problem with this seal on my 2001 but it is available as a separate part from Jaguar.

The 4.2 litre Duct has a bonded seal at the TB end and is secured with a Jubilee Clip. The Duct is supplied complete by Jaguar and the seal is not available separately.

On closer examination this morning, what I thought was heat damage is actually hardened glue on the rubber seal.

Any ideas on a suitable solvent for cleaning glue off rubber?

Graham

Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

It all depends on the glue.
Maybe start by soaking in hot water + washing up liquid to make the rubber more flexible + see if you can peel/work off the goo.
If that doesn't work then I'd guess the flexible is butyl rubber which is surprisingly resistant to most solvents.
You'd be safe trying alcohol, white spirit, petrol and acetone.
If they don't work then an aromatic like benzene (if you can get some).
If some clown's used silicone you can get silicone seal remover but I don't know what that would do to your rubber.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (06-26-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 AM
GGG

It all depends on the glue.
Maybe start by soaking in hot water + washing up liquid to make the rubber more flexible + see if you can peel/work off the goo.
If that doesn't work then I'd guess the flexible is butyl rubber which is surprisingly resistant to most solvents.
You'd be safe trying alcohol, white spirit, petrol and acetone.
If they don't work then an aromatic like benzene (if you can get some).
If some clown's used silicone you can get silicone seal remover but I don't know what that would do to your rubber.
Steve,

A soak in warm water and washing up liquid followed by acetone ( Mrs G's nail varnish remover ) has done the trick.

The hardened old sealant peeled cleanly off the rubber and I finished off with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber care. Good as new.

Graham

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Graham,
That's great. I knew you were 'at it' by the lack of posts !!