Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting intermittent start issue (electrical) 2003 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Interesting intermittent start issue (electrical) 2003 XKR

Hey Guys,

Thought I would see if anyone has any suggestions on where I should start looking in order to rectify my intermittent start issue. To be clear, it is not an issue with the engine or mechanical aspects of the car, I think it is an electrical issue but maybe not the typical ones I have read about on the forums due to the various symptoms.

Basically, about once a day, when I turn the key I get nothing other than the dash lights coming on and the car turning on but the engine doesn't turn. When I do something electrical, i.e. hit the brakes, jiggle the shifter, open and close the doors, lock and unlock the car, it will typically fire right up on the next try. I have read a number of posters having problems with the linear switch and brake switch but I think that, though the symptoms are the same in isolated instances, there are too many different symptoms for it to be one of those. Also, I replaced the brake switch this year due to the check rear lights/abs issue that is common with the XKR.

What mystifies me is that it seems like the car's "brain" needs a reset in a way by hitting the lock/unlock buttons or moving the shifter, etc. This issue always seems to resolve itself within a try or two so it doesn't bother me too much but I am concerned that one day it will not rectify itself and I will be stranded which is why I want to fix it.

Have any of you guys encountered this before and do you have any things you would recommend I look at? Oh and I recently changed out the battery which was not that old but did get rid of a faint flickering of the interior and exterior lights. Was hoping this would fix the start issue but it hasn't.

Thanks so much!

Corey

Old 12-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Remove your battery leads. Glasspaper them and put them back on tight. They may feel solid etc but try it anyway. Usually you find its either the earth strap somewhere on the car or the bit where the key slips into the ignition. If the car will not start simply try removing the key and reinserting it.

One more thing to try is putting the car into neutral. Sometimes the bit that says the car is parked does not work.

So thats a few things for you to try.

Let us know how you get on won't you?

Last edited by frankc; 12-04-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

When your intermittent issue happens, what does the console around the gear shift indicate for a gear? Does it illuminate the 'P', or do none of the shift positions light up?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
When your intermittent issue happens, what does the console around the gear shift indicate for a gear? Does it illuminate the 'P', or do none of the shift positions light up?
The last few times it has happened I have looked for that and it was lit up.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by frankc
Remove your battery leads. Glasspaper them and put them back on tight. They may feel solid etc but try it anyway. Usually you find its either the earth strap somewhere on the car or the bit where the key slips into the ignition. If the car will not start simply try removing the key and reinserting it.

One more thing to try is putting the car into neutral. Sometimes the bit that says the car is parked does not work.

So thats a few things for you to try.

Let us know how you get on won't you?
Will try the battery thing for sure. As for the key, I have tried taking it out and reinserting it a bunch and it doesn’t work. If I take the key out, hit the lock button on the remote, then unlock it, it actually usually starts right up.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Will do some more research for you and get back to you.

Ok. I had a similar problem, and so have a few others. One thing I did check was the relay in the engine bay. Now as you, in the USA, drive on the wrong side of the road pop the bonnet/hood and take a look in the passengers side. You will see right up against the side a black box. Remove the top to reveal a T shape of Relays. The diagram below should help. Brb having problems

Can I suggest if your having problems swap the 7 relay for another, say the fog lamp one? Making sure of course that the fog lamps are working and that relay has not gone to. Also someone said it was the actual fuse box they were having problems with. A loose internal wire and when he moved the box the car would start. Just a thought

Hope this helps.

Last edited by frankc; 12-05-2018 at 06:40 AM.