Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jump starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default jump starter

Hi,

I've been thinking about buying a portable battery powered jump starter. Most of the cheapish ones say they are for up to 2.5 litre engines.

Does anybody know the minimum number of amps that are required to turn one of our cars over?

Is there anything else I should look for?

Old 11-17-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Do not get one of these for this car. Two reasons:
-The electrical system in this car and can be too easily damaged by jump starting.
-Most portable units will have trouble providing enough current to both turn the starter and properly support the electrical load of the computers which can cause faults or completely fail to start.

Your best bet is to charge or replace the battery if it is dead.

If you do not run your car regularly, get a battery maintainer.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:25 AM

I'm curious why jump starting could cause problems?

If the amperage is high enough and the voltage is low enough ( ie: not overtaxing the jump starter causing it to up the voltage ), I don't see how it's different to using the battery directly?

For what it's worth, I've jump started a handful of times recently - no problems caused by it, although I admit I may have been lucky.

Also I'm sure the manual includes instructions on how to jump start.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:57 AM

Further to that ( sorry for all the probably stupid questions ), but what about one with a surge protector, or buying a standalone surge protector?

Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I was at Costco last night and spotted some slick looking gizmo that I was tempted to buy and keep in the trunk (excuse me. . . boot) for the time when I need to have an extra power source and/or to jump start the car.

Lithium Jump Starter And Portable Power Bank

I was wondering if something like this could really work.

Doug

Old 11-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I know its pricey, but this is the one I have had for 10 years. https://jet.com/product/detail/727b6...MMVw&gclsrc=ds I have used it on inboard boasts and all sorts of cars, including the Jag. It has the power to start the car, while keeping the voltage above 12 for the electronics. I have even had a battery fail to the point that I had to remove it. I used the pack to start the boat, (High performance Chrysler 318) and run it for an hour home. After 8 years I replaced the battery for $30 and I'm good for another 8 years.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You may want to read this thread and be sure to read the last post I posted. I used one on my 350 truck and my SType and it worked just fine.

Link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...ussion-135055/

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
mrobinson (11-18-2016), WhiteXKR (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ahh .. another F-350 owner

Had to "Jump" in this .. I too have an F-350, as well as the '03 XK8. What I found, I even bought a second one. My neighbor (also my Ex) leaves something on or open in her CRX several times a year, and when she calls for me to come over and "jump her", it's not in the trump sense. I bought one of these units, which Will start the F-350 .. and easily my XK, and decided to just buy her one as well .. a excellent investment. Saves me from having to drive over at generally an inconvenient time. I also have a bunch of tractors here .. I just leave it plugged in, and it's always ready. Anyhoo .. I highly recommend these units .. really robust construction. Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-.../dp/B000JFJLP6

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I did a bit of googling and generally found mostly positive reviews of the one at Costco. There was even a YouTube video that showed it in action.

Way in the past I recall oftentimes jumpstarting my older vehicles off of other vehicles but the practice was always to have the other vehicle running so as not to sap their battery. It looks like the Jaguar procedure is to NOT have the other vehicle running. I wonder if this just a very conservative recommendation (like unhooking the battery whenever you do anything on the car) or if there is really any actual risk to the electrical system under some (rare and unusual?) circumstances.

Doug

Old 11-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a lithium battery jump starter that I got from Amazon a while ago. Jumped my XK8 when the car battery didn't even have enough power for the internal lights to work. Didn't cause me any problems.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I encourage everyone to read the thread above Gus posted, especially the comments from member Thermo who is very knowledgeable.

If you follow the jumping procedure in the owners manual, risk is minimized.

High end starter boxes have a better chance of working, but with a failed battery (not just a discharged one), I would not bet on it.

There have been several posts over the years here of damaged radios or instrument clusters from improper jumping. These appear to be the most susceptible devices in the XK8/R to voltage spikes.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I encourage everyone to read the thread above Gus posted, especially the comments from member Thermo who is very knowledgeable.

If you follow the jumping procedure in the owners manual, risk is minimized.

High end starter boxes have a better chance of working, but with a failed battery (not just a discharged one), I would not bet on it.

There have been several posts over the years here of damaged radios or instrument clusters from improper jumping. These appear to be the most susceptible devices in the XK8/R to voltage spikes.
Well, the packs that I use have a analog voltmeter built-in .. showing the actual voltage of the pack. Disconnecting D.C. from an inductive load will certainly create a spike .. ala ignition coil/points ignition. Certainly jumping from another running vehicle may be more risky.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by tberry6686
I have a lithium battery jump starter that I got from Amazon a while ago. Jumped my XK8 when the car battery didn't even have enough power for the internal lights to work. Didn't cause me any problems.
Do you have the model number or a link to Amazon?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I got. Works really well for my needs

The following users liked this post:
mrobinson (11-18-2016)