Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob “headlight” button not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key fob “headlight” button not working

Hello friends,
Although I don’t know how many times your invaluable information in this forum helped me in the past, this is the first time to post and hopefully someone can advice on my issue with key fob.
I live in Japan, I recently sold XK8 Convertible and bought Canadian spec 2001 XKR Convertible. The car came with one key fob (LJE2610-CB) with lock/unlock/trunk open/headlight button. Everything is working except headlight button, it seems it does not turn on low beam.
I accidentally pressed headlight button three times and I got security alarm activated, so I think the car does get the signal from the key fob.
I reprogram the key fob but it didn’t change.
My past car XK8 has same kind of key fob and headlight button did turn on the headlight for 25 seconds.

This is a big deal because I installed remote top kit and turning headlight on is necessary in the procedure.

Any advise is so appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Could be wrong on this, but I believe there are many dealer-programmable options for alarm-related features. I am sure most of those are country specific. As you mention this is a Canadian model, DRL comes to mind as a possible hint. All of these are, I believe, software-configurable options, typically coded in with the SDD/IDS "factory" software. Once you have confirmed all the fob buttons are working and this is not an antenna problem (activate the buttons near the back window), you nay have to visit a dealer with the proper tools and knowledge to re-program your car for this feature to work.

As the car is only new-to-you, there is also an off chance this remote is not original and somehow not the part# you need. Fortunately, the newer Ford remote setup started with MY 2001, and all sorts of inexpensive fobs are available (eBay, Amazon). You could even do the flip key conversion (with some effort).

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 AM

Fmertz,
Thank you so much for your advice!
Dealer programming is very possible. DRL might be related, but when I need headlight to turn on is when the key is out.
I just changed the battery and tried, but nothing changed.
i saw some replacement key fobs on eBay, but I guess most of them with hazard button are for X150 or newer, correct? Do they work with X100?

The issue I have is dealers in Japan do not want to take care of parallel imported cars like mine.
I probably have to get Jaguar shop to see the software.

Canadian owners, can you turn on/off headlight from fob button? Thanks!

Last edited by ludwig drummer; 05-02-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

ludwig, The traces inside, under the push buttons, on the circuit board can get polluted with carbon. This normally makes it very difficult to get the button to work. I see you initiated the alarm, but who knows how many presses and how much random chance figured into that working.

Cleaning, just to be sure, is easy. Separate the case, remove the battery, gently pry the circuit board out. Look at the spiral traces under the button(s). Are they covered in black soot? Use a pencil eraser to gently clean them off. IME, the eraser works much better than just about any commercially available spray cleaners. FWIW, the black carbon on the back of the buttons is conductive, so when you press it the circuit is completed through the button's carbon backing shorting across the spiral traces.

Hope its an easy fix for you.

John

Old 05-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Mr.Drummer,

Someone has been messing around with your Clicker! In the photo I see and old beat-up clicker with a new Pad..(the Paint is real new looking)….Could be as John has said, take it apart and clean it real good....I just went outside and pushed my Clicker (the Light) and it came on for about 15 to 20 seconds and shut down.so if your other buttons work, it should work also....I don't think it's some big Computer program thing.....Of course, if it came from Canada......Well? You never know!

Billy Clyde

Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Thank you for your comments John and Billy,

i check the internal board, it was actually clean but I cleaned up just in case. Then I tried but it makes no difference. I also tried three presses of the headlight button and immediately activated the extreme alarm, so the car does hear the light button press.
I only got one remote but I will try to get another one and see how it works.
by the way mine is LJE2610CB, I can find BB or BC on eBay, but I don’t really find CB. Is there compatible list of fob and XK model year?

Thank you!!

Old 05-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Mr. Drummer,

Well apparently it works but something is up...Probably has to be programed for the Lights to work...As to the Numbers on the Back of the Clicker, mine are the same except the last two letters are: AC and mine is for a 2005 XKR.....I assume the Canadian Car and the DRL, must have something to do with it.....

Last night was the first time that I can remember ever pushing that button...I had no idea what would happen and was surprised when my Lights came on....I didn't know what would happen, so I left the button alone and as I told you, the lights went out I guess in about 20 seconds or so.....Still haven't tried the 3 click deal to see if the Horn honks.....All kinds of amazing things happening......I just came back from the Garage! I'm out of breath! Now that was a "scary" thing as I had never pushed the Light Button more that one time. I think I peed my pants......My God, everything you can imagine happened....The Lights started Blinking and the Horn started Honking....I started pushing buttons and couldn't get it to stop until I jumped in and put the key in the ignition. Wow! my heart is still beating fast.....GeeWhezzzz!

Billy Clyde

Billy Clyde

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
DavidYau (05-05-2019), Johnken (05-05-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Just bought this FOB for less 10$ cad

Just bought this FOB for under 10$ cad from AliExpress, programmed it my self with the Instructions and the all 4 boutons works perfectly.

Only l’y thing that I found after trying the programming process for over 30 minutes was: I was not pulling the high beam lever fast enough to hear the BIP.

You need to to do the 4 pulling in a short period, 1 second each pull

The fob even comes with fresh battery and buttons glow in the dark.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-08-2019)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Received 109 Likes on 93 Posts

Does latest model key fob LJE2610BC work straight away? Or does it need module replaced too ?

Old 04-19-2020, 04:59 PM
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default You need to program your key fob

If you go to this web site:
https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...ons-s/1856.htm

you will find all the instructions to program your key fob. First thing before buying a new one, try to program the one you have.

From AliExpress you could find any for less then 10 $ USD.

Look for a FOB key with this number on AliExpress CWTWB1U331 and it will work for Jaguar XK8

AliExpress
PS: if you have two or more FOB key and need to program a new one, you will have to reprogram all of them one after the others as said in the instructions above at dot 5.

good « LOCK »
Michel

Last edited by Ledmi; 04-19-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:13 AM
Received 275 Likes on 158 Posts

Well, I'll be damned. The things ya learn from this forum. I have the 4 button remote, just one also. I have never tried the headlight button. So I went to the garage and lo and behold, the lights come on for a few seconds and went out. And I fell for Billy's suggestion........I pushed the headlight button 3 times and all hell broke loose like there was an invasion of some sort. I woke the wife up 2 floors up!!!
I'll assume the the 3 push is the panic mode and the 3 pushes is to keep it from going off accidentally. Said wife has an '09 Maxima with a very sensitive panic button. It goes off every time you have other things in your hands and gets bumped. The neighbors love us.
So I think ludwig's may have an out of intended market issue with the function programming. But I'm just guessing.
BTW, I do have 2 new remotes from keylessremote that I haven't programed yet. need to get to it. TM

Edit: This motivated me to try to program my 2 new remotes. By golly it WAS just as easy as stated here. Thanks to all. I just need to get those spare keys made.

Last edited by STLTHMSTA; 04-20-2020 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Received 109 Likes on 93 Posts

Oops. I posted to xk8 section instead of xj8. I quess that it will be the same.