XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The longer my car is in the shop the more it is costing me

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default The longer my car is in the shop the more it is costing me

Just over a week ago my wife and I flew to Dallas to buy and drive home a 2006 XKR. I talked about it in Tough decision, XKR vs XK8, or maybe not

Because I had no service records and the car hadn't been to a Jag dealer since 2009 and had apparently missed the 30K, 60K and 90K major services I decided to spend the $$$ to get the car serviced and a few, hopefully minor issues resolved. It was at 118K so I'm having them do the 120K service.

I dropped to car off Thursday morning and picked up a practically new (only 474 miles) XF Premium loaner. I agreed to pay the estimated diagnostic fees then left to wait for them to contact me with the details and price.

I'm still waiting!

In the meantime I've been wanting to work on or at least drive MY car. Instead I've been obsessively searching this forum, reading all I can, searching the internet and buying items to make this car into my dream car, exactly the way I want it!

And the longer I wait to hear from the dealer the more I'm spending.

So far I've bought a Garmin GPS to install into the dash in place of the old SatNav, the EcoRoute adapter to pick up vehicle diagnostics and display them on the GPS screen, a Cabrio Shield, a Parrot MKi9100 bluetooth adapter and a pair of key fobs - the car only came with a single key and fob.

If I don't get my car back soon I'll be temporarily broke!

BTW this car and all I'm doing to it and buying for it is my 60th birthday present from my father who passed away last June. He knew how much I liked cars and may have remembered me asking for one (as a joke) on my Christmas wishlist over 40 years ago. He would be very happy for me.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:51 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I can relate.

Any word from the dealer on issues?

Old 04-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,253 Likes on 688 Posts

All those fun gadgets...if you want some help lemme know.

The following users liked this post:
WAFlowers (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:58 PM

I drove to the dealer at lunch on Friday, more than 24 hours after dropping off the car. It was still outside waiting for room in the shop. They are swamped with work.

I didn't even bother going there today because it would be too depressing knowing I could have been driving it all weekend. Although I think I'll swing by tomorrow at lunch and remind them that I still have their loaner car.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell
All those fun gadgets...if you want some help lemme know.
Sure! But at this rate I have NO idea when I'll have my car back to work on it.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:00 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Why the Parrot and the Garmin? A Garmin can do bt audio and handsfree phone. Not sure about the model you bought, but I know the last few gens can but you still need to splice the speaker.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 PM

Because the Parrot is cool with its OLED screen? Because my last experience with Garmin BT audio quality left me less than enthusiastic? Because I wasn't thinking? Because I can? Any or all of the above.

Last edited by WAFlowers; 04-03-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

If it were my car I would ask members if they could recommend an independent in the area. Some dealers don't want to be bothered with older models while others look upon them as a way to fund there offsprings college education. Not my experience as I maintain my own, but what I have observed from reading the forums.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
If it were my car I would ask members if they could recommend an independent in the area. Some dealers don't want to be bothered with older models while others look upon them as a way to fund there offsprings college education. Not my experience as I maintain my own, but what I have observed from reading the forums.
I considered that and I do know of some independents but I chose to have the Jag dealer bring the car back to a known, factory and documented condition. After this it will likely never see a Jag dealer again. I, with the help of some gearhead friends, will be doing all the basic work and I will eventually select some independent for anything beyond my capabilities.

I'm actually quite capable having pulled the motor of a Miata, torn it down, sent the block and crankshaft off for machining, rebuilt it, reinstalled it and had it run just fine. That was despite having parts left over!

I've also done suspension work. But I've been having serious back problems for the past year so unless and until I get surgery I won't be doing much work on my own.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:56 PM

The service department has informed me that they plan to return my car by the end of the week looking and running like new. YAY!

Well, almost like new. Everything they or I can think of will be done except the shock top mounts; I've ordered Welsh mounts which a friend and I will install when time permits. I could have had the dealer install Jag parts for a price of $1181, parts and labor. I think not!

The dealer did find a few problems I wasn't expecting: the transmission is weeping from both gasket and seal (i think that's what he said if I can read my scribbled notes properly - this is a surprisingly expensive repair); he verified that the 8-year old battery needs replacing (no surprise there); the water that got into the trunk appears to have shorted the suspension computer ($738 ouchie!).

On the good news side it appears that the previous owner replaced all suspension bushings, end links, ball joints, etc. The only known pieces that need replacing now are the front upper shock mounts and I have Welsh mounts arriving by the end of the week.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 AM

Kat is home again!
Black beauty.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Mr. Flowers,

Some really beautiful things come from Texas....and you got one!

Congratulations! Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,296 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Now that...

...looks gorgeous.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Now that...

...looks gorgeous.
Thank you. Here's a few more photos from today:

Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

good luck waflowers..... where did u get that coverfor only the top of convertible... if u don;t mind......tks tony''''i;v seen them, but they cover the top and windshield only when the top is down ????

WAFlowers (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM
dsd
Veteran Member

So what did the dealer do? How does it ride now vs the trip home? That leather looks great, especially the steering wheel.

Enjoy!

Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

very nice

WAFlowers (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tony bosco
good luck waflowers..... where did u get that coverfor only the top of convertible... if u don;t mind......tks tony''''i;v seen them, but they cover the top and windshield only when the top is down ????
Jaguar XK8/R 1996-2006 Standard Cabrio ShieldŽ Soft Top Protection

You have to order direct. But despite it shipping from overseas I got it in 3 days after shipping! Very impressed with the quality and fit.

Yes, you put it on over top of your convertible top to protect it and keep the sun from cooking your leather.

kurtomatic (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
So what did the dealer do? How does it ride now vs the trip home? That leather looks great, especially the steering wheel.
There was a long list of little things done; I can't even remember them all. Various leaking seals and gaskets. PCV valve leaking. Water had got into the trunk shorting the suspension module/computer and it was not working so I had a new one put in. Etc.

With no service records I had ALL fluids flushed and filled. There was more that I would have to refer to the 3-page service record to remember.

And, of course, the detailing! Ah, the detailing. Washed, clay barred, buffed and waxed. Interior upholstery washed, leather cleaned and conditioned, wood polished, every crevice cleaned of dust and hair. I can still see some swirlies if I get the light just right so eventually I will have it detailed again by someone who will be as picky as I want.

I was very impressed by how well the leather cleaned up. I just purchased some Leatherique to maintain and even improve on it. The product came highly recommended by a pro detailer I met this week.

It will never be a concours car. There are some parking lot dings, a paint scratch in one spot and various stone chips on the nose. That's OK. This will be my daily driver! Top down in the summer mornings. Top up and A/C fighting the Florida heat in the summer evening commute. Top down ALL THE TIME the rest of the year!

Yes, the car drives MUCH better! The only remaining issue for ride quality is to install the Welsh top mounts I have sitting on the dining room table (I have a VERY understanding wife!).

I also have all the other bits and pieces I've purchased to install: Garmin GPS, Parrot Bluetooth, etc. Not to mention a new turbo compressor wheel for what used to be my F350 pickup; my wife said if the Jaguar is mine then the truck is hers! LOL

Enjoy!
Thank you, I will. I am!

Old 04-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tks waflowers will do...............need to order one....beautiful ride too !!!!!!!!!!