Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at 97' Xk8 with 270,000km

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 97' Xk8 with 270,000km

Hello Everyone,

I just found a 97' xk8 With 270,000km located a few hours away from me. Im located just outside of Toronto, Ontario. Now, The car looks mint inside and out, but is priced at $3000. Seller says car runs great, no issues. Does anyone feel that this price is appropriate considering the Km?

Here is a link to pictures:
1997 Jaguar XK photo, picture, image on Use.com

I do know the car has been winter driven, as it comes with snow tires. that is fine with me, as long as it is not a rust bucket.

I would just like to get opinions before travelling to see this car, or if by chance anyone happens to know anything about it!

Thank you!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Try doing a search for "XK Rust Problem". You may not be able to search until you fulfill membership requirements, in which case scroll down to the posts on 7/22 and you will find the thread.
Other than that, I would not consider a car with that many miles unless you are able to do the repairs that crop up. You could easily get buried in the costs involved.
RJ____________
97XK8 Conv 85K mi

Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The pictures of the car look real good for a 15 year old car. The mileage is about average, 18000 km per year, for a daily driver. Your concern is right about a possible rust problem. If the car has a good service history and it looks like it does by the shape it is in, then a complete inspection of the under carriage will tell you if there is a rust problem. There are some threads on the forum that show cars with rust areas. Check them out so you know where to look. If it does show signs of rust you might want to walk away. Also check out all the mechanical problem areas with this model and make sure they were done. Good luck.

Bill N
03 XKR

Last edited by wcnesta; 07-24-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM

I am not concerned about any minor problems that may creep up as I have an extensive mechanical backround, but the price seemed quite low in comparison to others in the area. Although, they did have half the KM.

I had been looking at xk8's for quite some time, and assuming no serious issues, the high mileage does not concern me that much.....

Thank you for the rust thread, i will look through it. Who knows, I might get lucky with this car......

Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can turn wrenches and know how to use the "Search" function, you should be fine.

Take it for a drive and make sure it runs good. Heck, at that price you could part it out and still make money. You can't lose.

I would rather have a car that has constantly been driven than a garage queen with super low mileage. I got my '97 with 140k miles for $4k and had to do some minor wrenching before it was roadworthy.

And hurry, I am on my way to ****** it up...

B

Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Sadly, it is a scam! I got this email:

''Hello again

After i finished the divorce i have moved to my parents home in St. John's for a while, because i think they are only people who can help me to pass this difficult situation.Besides, there are a lot of things which have priority now, so, this vehicle has to go.It has clean title, cleared of any obligations or fees (no lien) and it is registered in my name.I am a member of the eBay buyer protection and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.In the inspection period you can test the vehicle, go with the vehicle at your local mechanic for inspection, but do not put more then 500 Kilometers on it.After your inspection period (5 calendar days) In case you won't like the vehicle you will notify eBay and you will send the vehicle back on my expense, if you want to keep it you will also announce eBay, you will send the funds (payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay) and you will keep the vehicle.

I need your name and address and after that I will send your info to eBay and they will e-mail you soon with more info about the deal.

You will receive along with the vehicle all it's papers, documents and manuals.This vehicle is sold with an Safety Certificate and a clean Emissions Test – just license it and you’re ready to go. It doesn’t even need an oil
I have a few guys interested so I will need a prompt answer from you!

Thanks and have a great day''

And then i decided to check ebay, and there is was...... Its actually a 67k mile car, located in New Jersey!! No wonder the car was in such good shape! lol and its selling for $11,000.

Jaguar : XK | eBay

Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM

I was going to tell you, I live in Las Vegas and here on craigslist there are a lot of scams witha great priced vehicle, beautiful pics, and nice story.
But they say they are out of the country and will have the car delivered and you transfer the money through paypal which they say is completely safe, but it is a scam.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Good catch. I think we have seen this kind of deal before.
RJ_________________
97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi

Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Your are right same car. You are lucky you did not bite on this one. I thought the car looked to good for that mileage. Ebay does have some other nice ones keep looking you might not find the right price right now but in a few more months the prices start to come down. I bought both of mine in February. Look for a Florida car then you do not have to worry about rust problems.

Bill N