Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mount for Nav/radar from Rt/left side Fuse block housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Mount for Nav/radar from Rt/left side Fuse block housing

If my memory serves right I believe I have seen pix of XK's with navigation/radar units mounted on the left/rt side windscreen and powered from the fuse block area under that door. I am trying to get info as to the best way to tie into the positive and ground power for the units. Are there unused fuse positions, and are there gounding sites available that will not compromise the delicate electrical balance of our almost hybride Jags?
I learned the hard way that any nav/radar unit has to be run thru a step down pwr source to lower the pwr from 12v to 5v, or what ever the level is coming out of the adapter to the pwr line, so I have learned to wire that adapter into the cord. Hopefully there is enough room in the fuse block area to hide the adapter if I 'hardwire' my nav/radar unit into my car??
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Sam, no worries. The entire chassis supporting the dashboard is a decent ground for this. Put an o connector on the end of your ground wire, secure under one of the bolts.

Now as far as 12volts, not a problem. You should use an external fuse for your device (that way it doesn't add to the current already drawnby the circuit, and if it shorts, the circuit stays live).

First figure which fuse to tap into. Find one that is ignition switched (no volts car off). Turnoff car. Pull a fuse out. Take voltmeter set to 20volts DC. Touch one probe to ground, other to each side of the now empty fuse slot. If either reads 12v, put fuse back select another.

Once you find a suitable one. Do same test with ignition on. One side will show 12volts, the other nothing. Use the 12volt side for your connection ot tap.

There are connectors widely available that are a piece of wire terminating in a thin piece of rectangular copper. The copper is bent around the leg of the fuse and the fuse inserted normally. Now you have 12 volts on the end of that wire. Dont forget it is unfused.

Your new fuse holder is connected to the exposed wire, preferably with solder, covered with shrink wrap or electrical tape. Other end of new fuse holder connects to device.

Sam dont care/doesn't matter if device is fused. Never run any length of unfused wire, just not worth it.

Plenty of room to run the power wires to device.

Come back if I missed anything or if you have any questions.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 05-22-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Re the step down transformer plenty of room under steering wheel area. Just extend the fused 12volt line to it. Easy to thread the wire from driver door fuse box to that area. Heck,you can even use the bolt for the lower valance as a ground. I do.

John

Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default 2016 thread with power on ignition pin

Check out this thread with info where you could get power.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post1573571

Let us know how you get on

Old 05-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Many thanks guys. I thought I had seen a pix of someone who had mounted a Radar/Nav unit on the wind screen with power coming out of this side fuse block area. Looked like the best solution for a minor problem. This forum is the best.