Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move some FOR SALE forums here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Move some FOR SALE forums here!

This forum is by far the most used in posts and threads of any forum on this site which indicates this model of car gets most of the attn. I wonder if the site owners should buck the trend and put a few simple sub forums under this one to post for sale stuff for this car only in.

The following users liked this post:
kulddy (03-05-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

If not forums, maybe allow a few STICKY threads.

kulddy (03-05-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, I have been trying to sell parts for months, engine, supercharger for months in the classified area. Not much luck till recently, placing it here, whoops!!! Did I say that???

kulddy (03-05-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

I agree I think the stuff for our cars just get lost in the shuffle.

kulddy (03-05-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Model specific sub-forums for For Sale/Wanted seems like a good idea. I would think vendors would like that, too, as it would get more specific traffic than a generic forum.

kulddy (03-05-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 4,181 Likes on 3,644 Posts

Originally Posted by julesjag1
I agree, I have been trying to sell parts for months, engine, supercharger for months in the classified area. Not much luck till recently, placing it here, whoops!!! Did I say that???
that thread was moved to the for sale section

Old 03-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I realize that but it started in the posts section, more exposure.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

This forum for the xk8 is by far the BUSIEST on the site. Just think maybe we need our own classifieds.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree completely, let's have a classified section for each model in fact. It would be far more useful IMHO. Probably me, but I can't figure out how to simply search cars for sale or parts for sale for a specific model, I just end up scanning the whole list (or just give up and go to eBay). This is not intended to be a criticism of Admins, as I know you guys do a great job and thanks for that.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Steve, Maybe a redesign of the classified area would be better. If you want to sell or buy you go to the correct forum, as far as busiest I believe there is alot of activity across the board esp in the X & S sections, the new models are just that and many probably are still having cars serviced at dealers.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM
Received 4,181 Likes on 3,644 Posts

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Steve, Maybe a redesign of the classified area would be better. If you want to sell or buy you go to the correct forum, as far as busiest I believe there is alot of activity across the board esp in the X & S sections, the new models are just that and many probably are still having cars serviced at dealers.

no guarantees but certainly something that can be forwarded for consideration

as for searching for model specific items for sale - I usually use the advanced search link, enter "XK8 XKR" as my key words and select the for sale forum - then select search - much easier than trying to scroll through the multitude of for sale items.

64vette (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

The forum exists primarily for the exchange of information an ideas about Jaguar vehicles. As such it is divided into MODEL specific technical forums with STICKIES at the top where regularly asked questions and useful solutions are collated.

We do not allow advertising in the MODEL technical forums because they are rapidly out-of-date and irrelevant as items are bought and sold in days or weeks but the threads would remain there for evermore. The reason we don't have private advertising as STICKIES in the model forums hardly needs explanation. Only paying forum Sponsors and Vendors get this benefit.

The PRIVATE CLASSIFIEDS forum is offered as a free service to members. It's not intended to compete with or replace the likes of ebay or Craigslist. There is a minimum period of membership and minimum number of posts requirement before members can post in CLASSIFIEDS. This is to discourage the 'one post wonders' who only sign up to post an advertisement. Most members won't even see these because we delete them as soon as we see them but they are numerous.

To facilitate searching, CLASSIFIEDS is already categorised as FS[FOR SALE] or WTB[WANTED TO BUY] and further segregated by REGION. It would be worth considering a further categorisation by model. The only difficulty I see here is for example V8 engine parts which are compatible with a number of models.

Members can make their advertisements considerably more effective with a photo (which automatically appears as a thumbnail next to the listing) and a well thought out thread title.

If we were to add a CLASSIFIED subforum to XK8/XKR MODEL forum then we would in all fairness have to do the same for other MODEL forums. The Moderator Team already spends a considerable amount of time moving incorrectly placed threads/posts to the right location. The increased workload in monitoring split advertising locations is considerable for a small team who give their time and effort to the forum for no other reward than love of the Jaguar marque.

Graham

The following 7 users liked this post by GGG:
64vette (03-02-2016), Angus (03-03-2016), jamdmyers (03-03-2016), Jandreu (03-02-2016), michaelh (03-02-2016), Norri (03-02-2016), sklimii (03-02-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The forum exists primarily for the exchange of information an ideas about Jaguar vehicles. As such it is divided into MODEL specific technical forums with STICKIES at the top where regularly asked questions and useful solutions are collated.

We do not allow advertising in the MODEL technical forums because they are rapidly out-of-date and irrelevant as items are bought and sold in days or weeks but the threads would remain there for evermore. The reason we don't have private advertising as STICKIES in the model forums hardly needs explanation. Only paying forum Sponsors and Vendors get this benefit.

The PRIVATE CLASSIFIEDS forum is offered as a free service to members. It's not intended to compete with or replace the likes of ebay or Craigslist. There is a minimum period of membership and minimum number of posts requirement before members can post in CLASSIFIEDS. This is to discourage the 'one post wonders' who only sign up to post an advertisement. Most members won't even see these because we delete them as soon as we see them but they are numerous.

To facilitate searching, CLASSIFIEDS is already categorised as FS[FOR SALE] or WTB[WANTED TO BUY] and further segregated by REGION. It would be worth considering a further categorisation by model. The only difficulty I see here is for example V8 engine parts which are compatible with a number of models.

Members can make their advertisements considerably more effective with a photo (which automatically appears as a thumbnail next to the listing) and a well thought out thread title.

If we were to add a CLASSIFIED subforum to XK8/XKR MODEL forum then we would in all fairness have to do the same for other MODEL forums. The Moderator Team already spends a considerable amount of time moving incorrectly placed threads/posts to the right location. The increased workload in monitoring split advertising locations is considerable for a small team who give their time and effort to the forum for no other reward than love of the Jaguar marque.

Graham

Couldn't have put it better myself Graham.
It's a nice thought guys, and maybe in that ideal world we're all searching for.

64vette (03-02-2016)