XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Ownership Journey

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Ownership Journey

Hi I am pretty new to this Jag ownership journey and probably would not have taken the plunge had it not been for the information available on these forums.

I am a qualified motor mechanic by trade but have not worked in the field since the early 90s, things have changed a bit since then. I still modify and repair my other vehicles over the years though.

I thought I would start this thread to document my ownership of this car. Hopefully others looking to take the plunge can gain something from my experiences as they unfold. It would also be great if more experienced members could offer advise as I go.

Being in Perth Western Australia I am a bit isolated On this one.

Here We go (A deep breath or deep pockets only time will tell)

Cheers
Bryan

Last edited by Lilbro; 11-10-2016 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
test point (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 05:10 PM

The Purchase
I began the search for my Jaguar a couple of years ago. Listening to all the forum advice I finally secured a 2000 XKR Classic with 116,000km on the clock. It has an complete service history and in the 12 months before purchase has had all new brakes, tyres, auto trans service and the all important new top and bottom guides and chains replaced. I know the advantages of a later 4.2 but could not justify the price for a weekend car.

The first interesting fact for you all is that here in Australia you have to pay over $30,000AUD for such a car. When I see the prices others pay in the US and UK makes me a bit envious. At least here with the good climate we dont have the same rust issues.

On getting the car home a few months ago all was well, I noticed the headrests don't go up and down, front seets and arm rest need a freshen up and also the seat belt buckle latch covers are cracking.
All small items that can go on the list. I decided to just have a couple of months of motoring before I start with the elective repairs.

Last edited by Lilbro; 11-11-2016 at 06:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi Lilbro,
Congrats on the new arrival.

You've got the #1 engine killer sorted, and with the 'R comes the Merc transmission so hopefully you'll just have the usual stuff that comes with a gracefully aging beauty to help keep your skills honed to perfection.

Oh - and - pics please...

Enjoy!

Mike

Old 11-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilbro
The Purchase
I began the search for my Jaguar a couple of years ago. Listening to all the forum advice I finally secured a 2000 XKR Classic..............
On getting the car home a few months ago all was well, I noticed the headrests don't go up and down, .
Lilbro, l also have a 2000 XKR, it has integral headrests. I thought that was the case with them all up until the update.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed. Lets see some pics !! As a convertible owner I am envious of the coupes. Grass is always greener I guess.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Pics will come as soon as I work out how to post them.

As far as the headrests go it is a mid 2000 and has the seperate headrests.
The tranny was actually half the reason I stretched for the R but the power is O so nice too.

As I want this post to travel the complete ownership journey and I am still a couple of months behind, I have some catching up to do.

First week and for the first special outiing in the Jag I took a friend for lunch in the Perth hills. Not really hills just little slopes, but the best we have.
I went over a dip in the road and took out the oil cooler. The result being a tilt tray and a new oil cooler which took a month to arrive from the UK to get her going again.
I figure the Jag was just testing my dedication.
I knew I would have some maintenance issues but I thought I would have to pay for fuel before major repairs.
Any way back on the road and loving the car.

Last edited by Lilbro; 11-11-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello Bryan, and greetings from the far side . . . far side of Oz, that is.

Actually, I hope I have some practical help to offer. Perhaps one of the best indie dealer houses is right on your back door. I refer to Roadbend Jaguar in Perth, run by Graham Percival, Tony and the family. I have no commercial or family association, but no hesitation recommending this crew . . . even from 4,000Km away. Bought my MY04 XK8 from them sight unseen, and they are currently helping me with an alternately sourced XJ-S. New Jags; old Jags; parts; service - they do the lot - and do it well.

Next, can I suggest you navigate to User CP on the main menu bar, click on Edit Signature and include year, model, engine so that all future posts attract relevant and accurate advice. Use Edit Avatar also, if desired. Also, to attach pics, look for Manage Attachments below the box in which you type posts - the process is simple once you know where to find it.

Best wishes with your intended blog . . . pics really are great for conveying info with a minimum of words. Will follow with great interest.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-12-2016, 01:46 AM

Thanks Ken

I have had a bit of a fiddle with the signature and hopefully a pic will come up with my signature this time. I will take a few pics of the car and try to attach them to the next post.
I do know Graham and the team at Roadbend, I actually got the car from them and yes you are right, a great company to deal with and I will be using them for the jobs that are beyond my expertise and or motivation.
These days having a young family to entertain I only make time for smaller more interesting automotive tasks. My days of restling a gearbox to the ground on my back are behind me.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:00 AM
Smile

Ok
On with the story and I will bring it up to date, then stop boring everyone with obsessive posting. Hopefully improving my posts as I go.

After the oil cooler repair I used the car a little through the week with no issues so was feeling confidant there was nothing else to do so it was time to get the windows tinted.
Job done and it looks great
Got home and the aerial stayed up
Its dusty at my place so I guess not unexpected given the age. Went onto the forum found out how to get it down and which fuse (number 9) 10A in the boot to pull to disable it.
Thanks Forum.
Another little job for the list. And yes picks of the tint to follow.
Other than that the Jag is going great.

Last edited by Lilbro; 11-12-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Tada! Well done Bryan. I have taken the liberty of adding you to the WA Regional listing of JF members. Suggest you drop by and have a peek . . . maybe post there to touch base with other locals nearby.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Took the car out for a spin yesterday and there is a slight ticking noise under acceleration which I assumed was an injector. But the more I listen I am thinking it may be exhaust related. Its also worse cold.
After reading a few threads here I am thinking it is the EGR pipe cracked, sounding like a manifold leak on the RHS when cold and then becoming hardly noticeable when warmes up.
Still waiting for the aerial mast to arrive from the UK.