XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav wiring?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav wiring?

Hey Everybody,

I am hoping that one of the techs or someone who has done this can chime in. I have taken the wood dash and navigation hardware out of my crashed XKR (surprisingly easy job) and am debating switching it into my new non-nav equipped XKR. My question--is the wiring harness for the nav system already waiting for me behind the dash and in the rear area or not? I know these were factory options, so I'm crossing my fingers that all I have to do is install the hardware and click the clips in. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Aww man, does that mean the nav unit isn't for sale if you get it to work?

Just put the screen and wood in, and put in a separate aftermarket Nav unit...all the goodies, while looking stock. (and, I still benefit from the purchase of your old unit you have. lol)

You did get my PM reply back, correct, with the nav and visor info?

Old 06-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Ha! I did get the visor for you, but yes, unfortunately, the pull job was so easy that I'm considering swapping wood and all into the new XKR. If I'm sufficiently dissuaded, then you first in line for the unit.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

I don't want to sound negatively self-serving, but I don't think there's any wiring to/from the front/rear for the addition of a navigation unit and screen. Plus, there's the programming necessary.

I still think the wood and screen idea is still a great idea. You can wire in the video from another unit like the Garmin GVN 53 into the OEM screen, use the audio outs from the Garmin and take those into the amplifier (or the garmin supplied speaker), run the mute line to the factory radio...done!

Only problem, maybe...is the ability to power the screen w/o getting the starup protocols from the deck or navigation unit... try to power it up before installing it, it may be simply a power, switched power, and a ground.

I love projects like this, and theres a couple other guys working on modifying their nav systems in the XK8 area, you may want to see what they're up to as well.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Hey, no worries H20, I am just looking for the best and easiest fix. I would love to have an updatable touch screen system. But if anyone knows about the wiring, I'd still like to know before I start tearing apart my trunk to see.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I like h20boy's idea better than retrofitting the ancient Jaguar nav system into your non-nav car. I was extremely disappointed with the factory unit. It didn't even show my neighborhood and it has been here for 10 years. Major roads were missing, POIs were non-existent, it didn't have a touch screen... Basically, it sucked. jnporcello was retrofitting a 5 inch Magellan unit into his XK8, and I basically copied him and did something similar. Here's the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37911

I'm not quite done with mine. I'm still waiting for the speaker mesh to show up, but in the mean-time I filled in the empty holes with a couple of business cards that I spray painted black. Here's a pic:

I just noticed that it looks like there's a HUGE gap on the sides of the Garmin. In real life the gap is barely noticeable. It looks much bigger in the pics.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Veteran member

project looking good sam, did you figure out the mute lead yet? (sorry, don't want to talk shop in two NAV threads)

Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
project looking good sam, did you figure out the mute lead yet? (sorry, don't want to talk shop in two NAV threads)
Not yet.I don't even know what kind of input the amp takes. Is it a +12v input or a ground? Did you do it yourself on your jag, or did you have a stereo shop do it? I think it should be easy enough to build a little PCB with a vox circuit on it and output the appropriate input to the amp.

The speaker screens showed up today, however I'm in Chicago this week for a meeting. I won't be able to finish up the cosmetics until this weekend.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

Getting that mute lead to work shouldn't have anything to do with the amp, there's a input into the deck, that when triggered (by some voltage I assume) it mutes itself. You were talking about hacking into the NAV unit itself to find a 'lead' out.

Stereo shop did mine, but I asked lots of questions.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iilium
Hey Everybody,

I am hoping that one of the techs or someone who has done this can chime in. I have taken the wood dash and navigation hardware out of my crashed XKR (surprisingly easy job) and am debating switching it into my new non-nav equipped XKR. My question--is the wiring harness for the nav system already waiting for me behind the dash and in the rear area or not? I know these were factory options, so I'm crossing my fingers that all I have to do is install the hardware and click the clips in. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!!!
I'm considering going the opposite route; removing the built-in GPS entirely.
If you proceed with your project I may be in the market for the non-GPS wood dash.

-Terry