XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Need advice I think it looks good ..

 
  #21  
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 3,938
Received 938 Likes on 597 Posts
Default

Glandaniel, as I recallTRAC OFF includes adjustment of engine timing and fuel (this is same as DSC) to reduce power to rear wheels when loss of traction is recognized, plus brake application on individual wheel(s) to reduce wheel spin increase traction.

In summary trac off adds braking. Reminds me of last time I drove her in a couple inches of snow. Started up nicely, but press trac off = wheel just spins.

Gosh it's late, I haven't read the specs on the difference in a while now. I welcome corrections and additions.

John
 
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
giandanielxk8 (07-06-2019), Kriss Vector (07-05-2019)
  #22  
Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 PM
Kriss Vector's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnken View Post
Kris, a few notes to consider.

The light colored dashboard on these early models gets a bit annoying in the sun - reflects on windshield ( have this same color so I know).

She doesn't appear to have premium stereo.

Heated seats? Hard to tell from photos.

While looking at photos see if you can make out the button nearest drivers side, same row as heated seats. Does it say DSC or TRAC OFF? I believe Trac Off is the preferred option.

These are small issues to some, important to others. It's up to you.

Leather looks great BTW. Interesting dash wood veneer choice. Some might prefer burled walnut. This might be a different wood. Elm?

Hope it helps. John
Thanks John I will check it out, I posted this to the other forum by accident and those guys were dicks, it's a piece of ****, its ghetto etc etc cold air intake in the engine compartment...blag blah blah dicks
 
  #23  
Old 07-05-2019, 09:59 PM
AJ16er's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location:
Posts: 774
Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts
Default

I think "driven 27k miles" means that is how much mileage he put on the car post conversion rather than the total mileage on the chassis. Not my cup of tea but it's your money.
 
  #24  
Old 07-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Kriss Vector's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AJ16er View Post
I think "driven 27k miles" means that is how much mileage he put on the car post conversion rather than the total mileage on the chassis. Not my cup of tea but it's your money.
Are all Jaguar owners retarded? I didnt ask for personal opinions, I asked for mechanical, technical advice on this particular vehicle. If i wanted personal advice, i would have gone to Facebook, I tought you guys were professional.
 
  #25  
Old 07-05-2019, 11:14 PM
DavidYau's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 672
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kriss Vector View Post
Are all Jaguar owners retarded? I didnt ask for personal opinions, I asked for mechanical, technical advice on this particular vehicle. If i wanted personal advice, i would have gone to Facebook, I tought you guys were professional.
Kriss,

That's a harsh comment considering you're the one looking for advice. IMHO the 1999 LS conversion you're looking at, has been heavily modified and is not to the taste of many forum members. However the main feedback is that it's overpriced and so resale value is an issue. However if you're looking for a X100 keeper, with a LS engine, I would check other bits of the car as below.
1. The X100 has a sports mode and cruise control function. Does that still work in the LS swap?
2. The original cabin climate control has a blower with coolant feeders from the engine. Does all this still work 100%?
3. Was the car's suspension lowered to match the modified bodywork? Upper strut mounts are known to fail, leading to low ride height and knocking.
4. Car would have come originally with a ZF5HP24 gear box so what are the changes to the transmission - TCM, driveline, diffs etc. Is the J Gate gear stick module still 100% operational.
5. Has ABS been modified?
6. Car came with a CAN bus control network, where different modules talk to each other. This must have been updated. What does an OBD DTC check reveal? Otherwise future maintenance might be an issue trying to troubleshoot problems.
7. The convertible top is hydraulically operated, and you should check that all the pipework is relatively new. Easy to spot old original pipes as their rubber sheathing will literally be falling off now. 1600psi pump is located in the rear RHS of the trunk, so easy to access. The car is infamous for the "green shower" as the hood latch is hydraulically operated too and connections here are known to fail - hence the "green shower".
8. Doors are known to sag at the hinges and windows' regulators and microswitches tend to fail due to the age of the car. Are the seals 100% otherwise top will leak and you'll have excessive wind noise.
9. Do the rear tail lights work? Any flickering? There's a known ground fault, where forum members have to add an additional ground to the rear tail lights main body (using just a pop rivet!)

As I've always said, if it's your car, do what you want. That's certainly what the PO has done in heavily modifying the 1999 XK8. It won't be to everyone's taste, but the main man for LS swaps seems to be Andrew from Jaguar Specialties, and I would certainly ask his opinion on the car you're looking at.
 
The following users liked this post:
Kriss Vector (07-05-2019)
  #26  
Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Kriss Vector's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DavidYau View Post
Kriss,

That's a harsh comment considering you're the one looking for advice. IMHO the 1999 LS conversion you're looking at, has been heavily modified and is not to the taste of many forum members. However the main feedback is that it's overpriced and so resale value is an issue. However if you're looking for a X100 keeper, with a LS engine, I would check other bits of the car as below.
1. The X100 has a sports mode and cruise control function. Does that still work in the LS swap?
2. The original cabin climate control has a blower with coolant feeders from the engine. Does all this still work 100%?
3. Was the car's suspension lowered to match the modified bodywork? Upper strut mounts are known to fail, leading to low ride height and knocking.
4. Car would have come originally with a ZF5HP24 gear box so what are the changes to the transmission - TCM, driveline, diffs etc. Is the J Gate gear stick module still 100% operational.
5. Has ABS been modified?
6. Car came with a CAN bus control network, where different modules talk to each other. This must have been updated. What does an OBD DTC check reveal? Otherwise future maintenance might be an issue trying to troubleshoot problems.
7. The convertible top is hydraulically operated, and you should check that all the pipework is relatively new. Easy to spot old original pipes as their rubber sheathing will literally be falling off now. 1600psi pump is located in the rear RHS of the trunk, so easy to access. The car is infamous for the "green shower" as the hood latch is hydraulically operated too and connections here are known to fail - hence the "green shower".
8. Doors are known to sag at the hinges and windows' regulators and microswitches tend to fail due to the age of the car. Are the seals 100% otherwise top will leak and you'll have excessive wind noise.
9. Do the rear tail lights work? Any flickering? There's a known ground fault, where forum members have to add an additional ground to the rear tail lights main body (using just a pop rivet!)

As I've always said, if it's your car, do what you want. That's certainly what the PO has done in heavily modifying the 1999 XK8. It won't be to everyone's taste, but the main man for LS swaps seems to be Andrew from Jaguar Specialties, and I would certainly ask his opinion on the car you're looking at.
Thank you sir, this is the type of information I was looking for ..As someone who is looking to move to a vehicle he has never owned, i figured people who own them can give advise, I also mentioned I prefer the Chevy V8 to the origional Jaguar motor. Here in Florida there are hundreds if not thousands of cars for sale for under 500 dollars.thanks again.
 
  #27  
Old 07-05-2019, 11:41 PM
DavidYau's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 672
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Donít forget to check for the dreaded tin worm

Youíre welcome. Check for rust too

Generally it seems that USA X100 carsí body work are in better shape than the UK cars in terms of rust. Weather and salted roads....blah....blah....

Not sure of the ownership history of your car, but worth checking for signs of the dreaded tin worm especially in humid USA areas like Florida.
 
The following users liked this post:
Kriss Vector (07-06-2019)
  #28  
Old 07-06-2019, 12:05 AM
Kriss Vector's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DavidYau View Post
Youíre welcome. Check for rust too

Generally it seems that USA X100 carsí body work are in better shape than the UK cars in terms of rust. Weather and salted roads....blah....blah....

Not sure of the ownership history of your car, but worth checking for signs of the dreaded tin worm especially in humid USA areas like Florida.
Thank you David
 
  #29  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:22 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 179
Received 166 Likes on 71 Posts
Default XK8

Guys-

This is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties. I have seen this car before and it "may" have been done using our kit. And if so, just to clarify any misconceptions, our LS XK8 Conversion kit includes a special proprietary CANBUS interface that allows the new LS engine to talk to the car. With that piece in place, the car operates as before and all functions work (gauges, AC system, speed sensitive steering, etc.,.). I am only posting this for information and not to stimulate any discussion on the merits or value of this conversion or the XK8-LS conversion in general. There is a lot of misinformation out there on these conversions, and I wanted at least this key point to be crystal clear.

To the gentleman considering this car, please have it professionally checked out BEFORE you buy. Put it up on a rack. To confirm this is one of our kits/conversions, snap a few pics of the engine area from underneath and send them to me-I will be able to tell. Only our kit has the special CANBUS interface which is critical, and no one else offers anything like it,. Without it, (if this is not our kit) the conversion/car is not worth your time. Nothing will work without it and there is virtually no way for an individual to correct that....

I hope that helps

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties
 
The following 2 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
DavidYau (07-10-2019), Kriss Vector (07-10-2019)
  #30  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:26 AM
Kriss Vector's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 89
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties View Post
Guys-

This is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties. I have seen this car before and it "may" have been done using our kit. And if so, just to clarify any misconceptions, our LS XK8 Conversion kit includes a special proprietary CANBUS interface that allows the new LS engine to talk to the car. With that piece in place, the car operates as before and all functions work (gauges, AC system, speed sensitive steering, etc.,.). I am only posting this for information and not to stimulate any discussion on the merits or value of this conversion or the XK8-LS conversion in general. There is a lot of misinformation out there on these conversions, and I wanted at least this key point to be crystal clear.

To the gentleman considering this car, please have it professionally checked out BEFORE you buy. Put it up on a rack. To confirm this is one of our kits/conversions, snap a few pics of the engine area from underneath and send them to me-I will be able to tell. Only our kit has the special CANBUS interface which is critical, and no one else offers anything like it,. Without it, (if this is not our kit) the conversion/car is not worth your time. Nothing will work without it and there is virtually no way for an individual to correct that....

I hope that helps

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties
Thank you Andrew I will check it out and get back to you.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hooverhoff
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
6
07-06-2019 05:19 AM
BugDoc
S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 )
110
04-28-2013 01:10 PM
J4g-off
XJ40 ( XJ81 )
22
03-01-2012 04:01 AM
chinny4290
XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 )
142
10-22-2011 09:41 PM
_evolve
Interior
3
05-19-2008 03:21 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice I think it looks good ..


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: