Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! My passenger door window has a 1" gap between it and the rear glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My passenger door window has a 1" gap between it and the rear glass

Drivers door window gap is normal above

It's on my 01 XK8 Coupe I bought last month. The gap is so wide it's leaving an open space right at the rubber window seal.I can stick a finger between the gap. I noticed it when my friend riding with me felt air coming in and thought he didn't shut the door good. I took the door light plastic lense off at the bottom rear of the door and adjusted that middle screw both ways but that didn't help. The window needs to come back towards the rear quarter window. Here's some pics. The drivers door is normal as you can see. What's the solution to fixing this? The window rolls up normal but it is sitting an inch forward.

Last edited by Jaguar XK8er; 08-20-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I can't imagine that the front would seal if the window was moved back to match the driver's side. The JEPC shows a different part number for the door glass for a coupe as opposed to a convertible. Perhaps they are slightly different lengths, and the glass was broken and replaced with a convertible part. Can you measure the length of the right and left sides to see if they are the same?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Received 119 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Jaguar XK8er, I had the same problem and called someone that came home and fixed it in about 5 minutes (The easiest $200 he might earn in his entire life).
When you dismantle the door, you will find a nut in its center. After you loosen it, put the glass in the correct position and readjust. I'm sure someone more competent than me in this forum (like 99.9% of the members) will explain it to you way better than me. I hope it helps!

Old 08-20-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Hi Jaguar XK8er, I had the same problem and called someone that came home and fixed it in about 5 minutes (The easiest $200 he might earn in his entire life).
When you dismantle the door, you will find a nut in its center. After you loosen it, put the glass in the correct position and readjust. I'm sure someone more competent than me in this forum (like 99.9% of the members) will explain it to you way better than me. I hope it helps!
Thanks Sir John for the response. Yes, hopefully someone can point me how to removing the door cover without breaking anything such as wiring, switches, etc. So basically I must have the door glass sitting loose on the window track due to a nut that's backed out?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Originally Posted by clyons
I can't imagine that the front would seal if the window was moved back to match the driver's side. The JEPC shows a different part number for the door glass for a coupe as opposed to a convertible. Perhaps they are slightly different lengths, and the glass was broken and replaced with a convertible part. Can you measure the length of the right and left sides to see if they are the same?
Gosh I hope that's not a convertible window instead of a coupe window. I don't have the door cover panel off yet.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by StuG:
jimborino (08-21-2018), Johnken (08-21-2018)