Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New EGR Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts
Default New EGR Pipe

The bellows on my "second" EGR pipe (used) started splitting just as my first one did, so I decided to bite the bullet and cough-up over $200 for a new replacement.

Holy smoke, .... you have GOT to see what Jaguar has replaced this item with. The new pipe is massive, the bellows are curved (which will prevent splitting) and it weighs enough that I think my MPGs will suffer! - lol.

Just out of curiosity: Considering that the EGR only recycles exhaust from the right side of the engine, has anyone tried just blocking off both ends of the pipe or installing blocking plates without the pipe there at all? Will doing so throw any CEL codes? THAT would be a more elegant and a MUCH MORE affordable solution to the split bellows problem.

Attached Thumbnails New EGR Pipe-egr-pipes.jpg  

Last edited by scardini1; 07-05-2017 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
blocking off both ends of the pipe or installing blocking plates without the pipe there at all?
Well, the theory is that recirculating exhaust gas back to the combustion chamber is meant to lower combustion temperature, consequence of running lean. Running lean also generates NOx gas, which I believe cannot be dealt with by the catalytic converter. So, the vanilla, safe answer is that you probably want this EGR system to work for you, I suppose. I recently read that the reason _some_ XK8's do not have the EGR valve is because Jaguar programmed the VVT to overlap the valves and accomplish the same purpose.

The weak part seems to be the bellows. Only reason for them to be there that I can think of is the exhaust manifold can expand and contract with the temperature changes. So I suppose the distance between the end points does change a bit, so some form of flexible solution is required. The bellows should have enough "give" in the new design to allow for this, whereas the old design does not, leading to fatique cracks. Only cheap fix I can think of would be to make a pipe with the same end points, but "longer", by coiling it like a spring. The resulting pipe, although solid might have enough elastic give to work. Just a thought.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following 2 users liked this post by fmertz:
Orthodixie (07-05-2017), scardini1 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Plenty of info on the topic. TSBs make for good reading. (the ones NO ONE READS)

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-07A EGR delete.pdf (29.9 KB, 143 views)
303-36 EGR Pipe.pdf (110.3 KB, 133 views)
303-S704 EGR Pipe.pdf (266.8 KB, 127 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Orthodixie (07-05-2017), scardini1 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Very interesting. Excellent information. In general, the pipe is not needed (aside from possible combustion temp effects). Funny that there were no TSBs for either of the 4.2 engines though.
Based on these discussions, I guess that so as long as the EGR valve responds to commands, no codes will be thrown. Definitely good stuff to know should the new Mega-Pipe ever fail (unlikely), because I ain't cutting loose any more C-Notes chasing the problem. I'll just make a couple of blocking plates.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (07-06-2017)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Replacement EGR transfer pipe.

Hi scardini1, and thankyou for your message about the new EGR transfer pipe. I have a 2001 XKR and the original transfer pipe has failed but I'm having real trouble over here in the UK to replace this part. If possible could you let me know the part code for the new type transfer pipe and where I could get one. I'm happy to order from a US supplier if you could let me have contact details.
Many thanks and best wishes.
Stay safe during this C-19 time.
ChrisO

Old 05-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

There s a thread from a long while ago where someone attempted this on a 4.2L, see post #54 for a summary:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...e-34453/page3/

The MAP sensor expects a change when the EGR kicks in so I think you will get a code if you just block it off.

Having just suffered the same issue, I ordered some bellows tubing and was going to have a go at repairing mine. But it's nice to see that if it doesn't work, that there is at least an improved design for the $200 bucks a new one costs.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

If you've got a good reason to delete the EGR, then I can confirm that at least on the AJ27 with MAP sensor (2002 XKR), it can be done, by running a hose from the intake (post MAF, pre-throttle body) to the EGR valve. No codes if this is done, the MAP sensor sees the pressure drop when the valve opens, and the ECU is happy. (Possibly would be nicer to simulate the MAP signal triggered from the EGR actuation signal, but that would require some electronics work, in lieu of the plumbing work). You definitely get an EGR fault code if this is not done. Better to replace the EGR tube, but I can confirm delete is possible (i.e. blank the exhaust output, and modify EGR valve for hose input, for the above configuration at least. I assume the theory would hold for the 4.2L .....

Old 05-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hi ChrisO,

I'm sure if the plumbing on yours is the same as my 4.2, but I'm pretty sure I bought the tube from SNG Barrett. It's expensive, but the new tube is much, much more robust than the original. You won't be replacing it again. Considering that only "one" side of the engine has the exhaust take-off to the EGR valve, I'm fairly certain Jaguar only did it to meet some government bean-counter's requirements. You might try just making some block-off plates an seeing if you get the codes as mentioned. If you don't, you're DONE. ;-) Plus, because of various interference quirks, a couple of the nuts involved in the swap aren't the easiest to access with wrenches or sockets. It's not impossible of course, just a pain.

Good Luck! - Jim