Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No rust, normal or rare ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts
Thumbs up No rust, normal or rare ???

In preparation for an upcoming journey I've been examining my '02 XKR pretty closely. Which includes putting it up on jackstands and doing a close stem to stern examination of the undercarriage.

my normal is to find moderate rust on cars 15 - 50 years old, especially in the hidden areas , like behind the wheel well plastic inserts, etc. So I have to say I was surprised to find no rust on this car except for a light coating on the exhaust manifolds. No rust on the rest of the exhaust system, none under the wheel wells, just nothing anywhere else.

My second shock was to find out the entire exhaust system, including the mufflers is original, with the Jaguar logo stamping on them complete with a 2001 date code. WOW ! Am I surprised over something commonplace ? Is the rust proofing that good, or has this car with 125,800 miles just been pampered ?

You tell me .

Z

Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Where the vehicle lived / lives determines 90% of your answer. My wife's 2006 XK8 started life in Beverly Hills, California and then moved to Hilton Head, South Carolina in 2008. We purchased the car and had it shipped to us here in central North Carolina in February 2012. Like yours, the underside remains completely rust-free. I attribute that to a series of moderate climates and never being driven on salted roads. We get our share of snow every winter but the XK8 stays safely at home until the roads are clear and dry again....

Old 09-16-2018, 10:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Bring it over to England () - you'll soon get all the rust you can handle.

My XJ6 Series I & II were seriously rusting on the wheel arches and sills in less than five years. It was the same for earlier Jaguar models and most other British manufactured vehicles in the 1960's to 1980's.

Jaguar design has improved (by eliminating many of the rust traps) and rust proofing/painting techniques advanced massively in the Ford ownership era. This still doesn't eliminate rusting in this country but it definitely delays it. Jaguars from coastal areas where the atmosphere is salty suffer more rapidly.

If your 2002 XKR is completely rust free then either the Oklahoma climate is very kind to metal or it has been unusually pampered.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
toaster (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts

Living in a tropical island, I am deathly afraid of putting the Jag on jack stands and doing a rust search. I am likely to find it everywhere.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

As Graham noted, coastal areas are particularly hard on cars due to the salt air. I bought a new Honda 450CL motorcycle in Japan in 1970 and brought it back to the US. Initially, it spent time near the water in Bremerton, Washington, parked while I was at sea. No issues with rust or corrosion appeared. When my ship returned to San Diego, and the bike spent weeks parked on North Island, where the water (and the air) were saltier, it didn't take long for rust and corrosion to begin. I suspect Daniel is correct about Puerto Rico coastal areas.
Here in the Midwest US, roads are routinely salted after a snow storm and that causes rust under the car where the salted road crap can collect.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

my 2004 is rust free. It is garaged at the first sign of salt in fall and is not taken out until a couple of good heavy rains wash the salt from the roads in spring. I had it on a ramp before I bought it and this was the reason I bought it. Mechanical stuff does not scare me at all but rust is a death sentence

Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I know my Jaguars are all rust free. The thing is that in Michigan, cars die quickly because of the salt and snow. We don't typically drive sports and gt cars we like in the winter because of this. Since we don't drive during the salt time, and the air is not salty and humid like a coastal area can be, they don't really rust.

I had an eighties Corvette that was always babied weather wise. At 20 years old, even tiny little fittings and stamped bits in the underbody were like brand new. Stuff that you expect to have rust on a three year old car was minty and clean on a twenty year old car.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

If a person is determined, it is possible best the rust scenario and drive on salted roads, or live in a tropical coastal area. When I lived on South Padre Island in the late 1970's most cars there had rust pretty bad. But some cars seemed impervious to the rust. I quickly found out that the nicer cars were being washed twice a week and the undercarriage sprayed down extensively until all the corrosive salts were gone. Although it's harder to take this kind of care in the winter, it can be done. But it not easy, and very time consuming. Most people would just rather have a driver that they didn't care about, and keep the nice cars stored.

Z

PS. About 40 years ago I bought an e type in Detroit, and hadn't gotten 100 miles in it before a chunk of bondo and fiberglass fell off of the floor board and to my amazement I looked down and could see the road going by thru a softball sized hole in the floor.....

........just one of life's tough lessons

Z

Old 09-16-2018, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
".......
If your 2002 XKR is completely rust free then either the Oklahoma climate is very kind to metal or it has been unusually pampered.
Graham
I do have the surface rust on the exhaust manifolds, but I can live with that.

The car was in southern California from 2002 to 2014. Then in quick succession from 2014 - 2017, South Dakota, New Jersey, and Iowa, which is where I bought it in January of this year. So yes, the Southern California climate was good to the car.

Z.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Bring it over to England () - you'll soon get all the rust you can handle.

My XJ6 Series I & II were seriously rusting on the wheel arches and sills in less than five years. It was the same for earlier Jaguar models and most other British manufactured vehicles in the 1960's to 1980's.
Graham
I've read more than once that Britain's largest post-war export during that period was rust

A coastal environment may be an issue (inescapable here), but in my experience it's nowhere near as destructive as road salt. Manufacturing processes have greatly improved since then - and they needed to - but the UK's penchant for dumping vast quantities on the roads is difficult to mitigate. It's not quite like SoCal here admiitedly but, providing that one avoids the floaters*, it's not really a concern.

* Vehicles left on a slipway without regard for the 40' tidal range.

@Z - my rear boxes bear a Novermber 1997 date, which I do find impressive as I've always considered exhaust systems to be wear items.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

My '97 was first sold in Arizona, moved to Washington state, then Utah for the past 18 years. I purchased it in 2011. I haven't detected any body rust. I don't drive it in the winter at all because of the salted roads. I consider myself lucky not to have to deal with rusted body panels.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Florida cars don't have rust.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

^^ Some of them do, especially if they were hurricane flood victims....

Old 09-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

For the first 9 years of my XKRs life it lived in the middle of the UK, Derby to be precise, which is around an hour or two's drive from the nearest coast. I had a full AA test carried out in it before I bought. It came back completely clean as far as rust was concerned, helped no doubt by it's location and that it only has 25k on the clock which I was told were mainly summer Sunday drives to the nearby countryside. Last 6 years it's been down in North Devon, which for the unwashed, is God's country right on the coast!

Do i believe in fate? Well, here goes... At every service and/or MOT I always get my mechanic to check for any signs of that awful car cancer, and up until now (here goes the fate thing...) it's received a clean bill of health. I dont drive anywhere near where sand might be on the roads or in the air, although the latter is almost impossible here. I try not to drive in the wet, but I'm not too **** about that. I certainly don't drive on roads where there is the slightest hint that salt is still around - many days of rain has to come first, which isn't to long here in the UK. I do give it a weekly wash, and after any wet drives are experienced in winter, I will hose down as much of the undercarriage as I can, on the premise fresh water is better than road water of any kind.

So, I think not having any rust on a 15+ year old car is a combination of effort and good fortune!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Zinc coated.. they don't normally rust (unless real hostile environment)

Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My 01’ XKR is rust free. Dropped the exhaust pipes last week to change one of the 02 sensors. Even the exhaust pipe slip joint still slides like its supposed to. That amazed me for the mileage. 90K. To me thats a hidden value in any car. They all not without faults, but at least the Jags aren’t rust buckets like a lot of old Chevies I’ve had.