XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good start to the summer, cranks but not starting.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Not a good start to the summer, cranks but not starting. - Fuel pumps?

Hi all. Haven't been on much lately, the XKR's been sleeping since last October, so out of sight, out of mind. I put the trickle charger on her, and didn't touch her until today.

Since the weather was nice today I decided to get her out and sart getting her ready for summertime. The first thing I didi was run out and get fresh oil and a filter, and I changed that where she's been sitting for the past few months.

After the oild and filter change, I jumped in, and started he up, just like normal. I slowly drove out fo the garage, and eased her up and down the driveway few times. Then as I was confident everythign was working as it should I gave her some quicker runs up and down the road. Probably 2 miles in total.

Then back in the driveway, where I let her sit in the sun for several hours. Just as it was starting to get dark I remembered I had left her outside, so I went to move her back into the garage. Now she cranks just fine, but the engine will not even try to kick over?

I'm really puzzled. It started and ran just fine earlier. Now, it acts like its out of gas (full tank though.) I checked the codes, no codes. I swapped the fule pump relays, and injector relay with other relays, checked all of the fuses. No change.

I'm suspecting the fuel pumps - I don't hear them running. I measured electrical resistance from the relay of each back to battery ground. I read about 15 ohms through each pump. I finally got desperate and hotwired the primary pump, by jumping battery voltage right to the fuse. I got a spark, but I could not hear a pump running with my head in the trunk. Smae for the secondary pump.

Anyone got a better way to troubleshoot the fuel pumps?

Last edited by Andy94SC; 03-19-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Some additional info. Although I saw no reason for it to trip, I did press the inertia switch reset.

Also, I could not find a schraeder valve to check fuel pressure. It was getting dark, and I didn't spend much time on it, but can anyone point out its location on an XKR?

Edit, another search and I found the schraeder valve. I'll check actual fuel pressure tomorrow.

Last edited by Andy94SC; 03-17-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a similar problem and it was the ignition relay in the RH fuse box under the bonnet. It had simply unplugged itself. Pushed it back into place and all was well. I had parked in the garage on Sunday and had no lightoff when I tried to crank up to go to work on Monday. I was forced to drive the E-Type to work - Dangitall!

I hope you have an easy fix!

Mike

Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

If you have torque and an android phone/tablet or another OBD scanner, you can monitor the fuel pressure at key-on, and while cranking...save you from getting fuel splashed Are you on an incline?

Are you saying no crank (click, no starter turning it over) or turning over, just won't fire up?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM

It's on ground as flat as it gets, and it's cranking fine, just not firing.

I had forgotten there was a fuel pressure sensor built into the car. My scanner won't read it. It's cheap, and I only can read and clear codes with it.

Now Vehicle Spy on the other hand...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I believe you can only read fuel pressure on OBDII on 2003 and later models.

The following users liked this post:
H20boy (03-19-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM

I know my X-type (2004) had fuel pressure sensors. I'll check into my 2002 and see what I can see, that would be much more convenient than trying to attach a manual gauge.

On that note, here is where I am. I managed to put on my manual pressure gauge, and had 0 PSI on the fuel rail. I switched the key on, still 0 PSI. I went to the trunk and hotwired the primary pump again (jumped from Battery + to fuse #7 in trunk.) and heard the pump start up, then make some gurgling noises. I poked my head up, and saw 25 PSI on the gauge. I hit it for a few more seconds and got it up to about 40 PSI then went over and hit crank on the key.

She fired right up, and continued to run fine, holding about 40 PSI. I shut it down, and tried again hotwiring the secondary pump (terminal #5 of secondary pump relay to Batt+) but it only sparks, and I don't hear the pump.

I'll keep fooling with it, but I think I have a couple of iffy pumps. Maybe the secondary has been out for a while, and I've been running on the primary? When it acted up I was dead in the water?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I believe you can only read fuel pressure on OBDII on 2003 and later models.
+1

Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM

I have tried several times to hotwire the secondary pump with no luck. I think it's dead.

When does the secondary pump run? All of the time? only on high demand situations?

Also if I were to replace the pumps, what are the options? Are they like a standard Walbro type pump that I could easilly get? Are they something available from the Ford dealer? I know the Cobra Mustangs also had a dual fuel pump set-up, anyone know if it is similar to ours? They have several aftermarket solutions...

Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

sorry about the fuel pressure data info, i wasn't aware of that limitation on the earlier model years.

I know the R guys have run through that issue quite a bit, i only remember seeing it and didn't pay much attention due to the fact i'll never face that problem.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The 4.0 R secondary pump only runs at rpms over 4,000. The 4.0 has a return system with pressure regulated by a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator that controls the return rate to keep pressure in the supply line. The 4.2 has a different type of fuel system where the R only has one pump and no return system, it is pressure regulated by an electronic sensor that varies the fuel pump speed to hold the right pressure.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy94SC
I have tried several times to hotwire the secondary pump with no luck. I think it's dead.
When does the secondary pump run? All of the time? only on high demand situations?
The Secondary Pump runs for 1 Second when the Key is moved from Off to On. Also at 3000 RPM and above with High Power Requests. (This info from XK Racer).