XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Dipstick tube re-install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Dipstick tube re-install question

I'm having a difficult time re-installing the Engine Oil dipstick tube. Does anyone hav a diagram or pics on how the tube should be routed?

I tried to feel my way into the correct groove but I don't know where the other end of the tube inserts into. I can't see it very well from any angle.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I never have a problem because I NEVER PULL THE DIPSTICK OUT OF THE TUBE.
The dipstick is longer than the tube so it stays in the block and aids in reinserting the tube.

The hole is behind the aluminum mount bracket for the PAS pump and compressor.

good luck

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
DrkNyte (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

You are right about it being hard to see down there! But it does simply "plug in" to the casting. Keep at it!

Old 12-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I spent about as much time getting the tube back in as changing the tensioners. Finding the hole is the easy part. Has to be aligned just right and then it just slips in. Almost like it is a close tolerance machined fit which it really shouldn't be.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you ever end up making the same mistake I did or by chance ever need to replace the tube it's not easy and I couldn't find any instructions on JTIS.

Here's a summary for those with XKR or XK8:
removal is by tugging upward on the tube. As a workaround if you cant grip the tube you can insert a wire through the mounting bracket hole. This will give you somethig to grab onto with a vice grip pliers or something similar and smack it from the underside. Once it pops out of the hole in the engine it will be loose but you will have to pull on it while trying to angle the top of the tube towards the drivers seat. Wilth a little wiggle it will slip out.

Becasue of the bends in the tube it will not go straight back in. You will have to lay the tube with the top towards the drivers seat in between the wheel well and the exhaust mainfold. Force the bottom back in towards the engine keeping it as close to the engine block as possible. once it is far back enough try and tilt the tube upright. This is the moment of truth. If the tube is upright and you can't pull it out you are probably in the zone. but if you can see the bottom of the tube resing on the Pas Mounting bracket you are not. Try again. Once it is in the area you can reinsert the Dipstick this will allow you to feel for the hole if you let it go down past the bottom. once you find the hole (That you can't see) the dipstick will slide into it easily. Now you can raise the tube just high enough to clear the mounting stud on the valve cover.

I wrestled with this for about 2 hrs before I broke down and researched a solution. Then it took me an hr to figure out what to do. Hopefully this will save you some time.

Thanks to Motorcarman Bob I was able to get a good idea of where the end of the Tube needed to be.

The following 4 users liked this post by DrkNyte:
GGG (12-15-2013), Johnken (03-27-2017), Lagonia (01-30-2016), mkrion (02-12-2019)
Old 12-15-2013, 06:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkNyte
If you ever end up making the same mistake I did or by chance ever need to replace the tube it's not easy and I couldn't find any instructions on JTIS. ...............
Any chance you'll repeat the removal / install procedure to take some pics?

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ggg
any chance you'll repeat the removal / install procedure to take some pics?

Graham
lol

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I drive the car without the dipstick tube installed….Changed valve cover gasket and made the big mistake of removing the tube I have worked on it for several days…need help

Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2003 XKR Also a diagram of where the tube goes would be a big help

Old 05-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

no oil will blow out of the hole under pressure from the engine the dipstick on mine lines up with the second lower bolt coming from the front of the left side valve cover ...should be able to feel where it goes or use a mirror to see where you need to go to ... it pushes into the hole make sure you tighten the nut the goes over the valve cover bolt the bolt has a threaded stem coming off the top on my 99 xk8 .

Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pulling up an ancient thread as I Went through this nightmare yesterday after taking the dipstick tube off during a power steering pump repair.

Read through this and the other threads and spent 4 hours fiddling around trying to get the blasted tube back in to no avail. In the end gave up and removed the bonnet (hood), took out the fans and moved the compressor out of the way. After that lot was done, barely took 2 minutes to guide it back in as you could see where it was supposed to be.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts
Red face Dipstick

I'll have to make a note of that. It's always the "little" things you don't think much about on disassembly that come back to bite you on assembly ! I feel for you monster. Good luck.

Last edited by JimmyL; 03-27-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:54 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by XK_SL
Pulling up an ancient thread as I Went through this nightmare yesterday after taking the dipstick tube off during a power steering pump repair.

Read through this and the other threads and spent 4 hours fiddling around trying to get the blasted tube back in to no avail. In the end gave up and removed the bonnet (hood), took out the fans and moved the compressor out of the way. After that lot was done, barely took 2 minutes to guide it back in as you could see where it was supposed to be.
Why did you remove the dipstick tube to do the PAS pump R&R? I'm doing that PITA job right now, and I'm having trouble even getting to the stupid clip on the back of the pump. I will NOT remove the tube for any reason. But how did you remove the tube from that hidden clip?

Ken

Old 05-30-2022, 06:45 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

If I move the PAS pump can I get a view of the hole?

Old 05-31-2022, 05:32 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I moved the PDAS out a little which gave me all the room all the room I needed to locate the hole for the tube.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:08 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

If you put the borescope light in this area and close to the block you can find the hole with the camera.

Once you locate the hole with the cam you can hold the light on the hole and lower your head down to sight across the top of the fender toward the light and you can see the hole from that position.
I'll add my two cents here: I just made this mistake on my 2004 XK8 Convertible with the 4.2 and boy was I honked! However, I did learn a couple things that may help someone. Contrary to popular belief, I WAS ABLE TO SEE THE HOLE FROM ABOVE WITHOUT REMOVING ANYTHING. Here's how: I bummed a borescope with an LED light built into it and used that to locate the hole. It was the only shiny spot in that area. i was able to move the cam toward the shiny spot and verified that it was the dipstick hole. I was using the scope as a guide while fishing the tube into place when I realized that if I put my face down right where I could sight across the top of the fender toward the cam light I could see the shiny spot where the little light was concentrated! Once I knew where it was it helped tremendously in getting that sucker back in place. I will attach a couple of pics in the morning to give you the general idea. I also cut the eyelet hole in the dipstick bracket and curled the ends up to allow me to slip it sideways onto the stud without lifting the tube. The used the retention nut to pull the ends back down flat as I tightened it. Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by tedgasthm; 04-15-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 04-15-2023, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 496 Posts

Borescope......sounds like an appropriate use of the well known auto term "a gynaecological job"

Old 04-15-2023, 03:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Might be easier to drop the engine oil pan and feed a wire coat hanger up through the dipstick hole, then use the upward protruding coat hanger to guide the dipstick tube in to place. You can also use that as an opportunity to fish out any chunks of chain guide.

Tip of the day: Drain the oil before dropping the oil pan....

Old 04-15-2023, 08:12 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by XK_SL

FYI: I did the PAS R&R a few months ago.....without removing the dipstick tube. I unscrewed the little bolt that holds the tab on the bracket and used it and a small zip tie to hold the tube in place while I did the PAS job.