Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint chip repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Default paint chip repair

After 110K miles, I have a number of little road rash paint chips on the front bumper and a rather large (maybe 1/8") chip on the lower part of the passenger door. I'm not ready to paint the bumper, yet, so I thought I'd try one of the products for such chips. I'd read about Dr. Colorchip and EZ Chip Repair and ended up ordering EZ Chip Repair. It came in the mail, this afternoon, and I will try it out tomorrow. I will take before and after photos and post in the afternoon. The small road rash chips may not show up but the lower door panel is definitely visible and should provide a good test for the product. Stay tuned.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
After 110K miles, I have a number of little road rash paint chips on the front bumper and a rather large (maybe 1/8") chip on the lower part of the passenger door. I'm not ready to paint the bumper, yet, so I thought I'd try one of the products for such chips. I'd read about Dr. Colorchip and EZ Chip Repair and ended up ordering EZ Chip Repair. It came in the mail, this afternoon, and I will try it out tomorrow. I will take before and after photos and post in the afternoon. The small road rash chips may not show up but the lower door panel is definitely visible and should provide a good test for the product. Stay tuned.
please do a before and after..like to see the end result

Old 11-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why worry about chips on the front nose?...I'm running a 2000 XKR and its by no means mint......but its 12 yrs old in great nick with chips and marks on the paint....i love it....it part of its age..its patina...no way would i ruin it by having it sprayed over............embrace its history and live with it :-)

Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Everyone has their own opinions, but I typically don't get concerned about small stone chips on the nose, particularly if the nose is plastic and therefore won't rust....

Your kit may be a low-cost answer for those who want a near-pristine look without paying for a respray every year or two. Please keep us posted on your results....

Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Tberg,

Maintain the car to your personal standard not somebody else's'. No offense to you other blokes but a mans gotta do-------------.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly, I didn't care much about the chips on the nose, they're small, numerous, but generally not noticeable except in certain light. The larger rock chip on the passenger door on the bottom was about a 1/4" semi-round chip that showed the primer through it so it stood out like a white polka dot. I have several vintage sports cars and none of them are perfect garage queens, I drive them, I track my Pantera occasionally, and if there is a blemish, so be it. I just really wanted to know if any of these products is any better than just buying a vial of touch up paint and carefully dabbing the little holes. Well, at least in the case of this product, EZ Color Chip, the answer is "No." I will upload some photos in the morning, but I'm not sure you can see the after picture very well. First of all, the color while close was considerably lighter, but because of where it is (lower door panel), nobody's going to see it. Secondly, the "magic" second step liquid which is supposed to remove excess paint from around the chip that EZ Chip has told you in their instructions will be easily removed with a little of this liquid and gentle rubbing motion with an included small rag, simply doesn't remove anything. The dabs of new paint stayed all around the chip after trying to remove. Fortunately, I was fairly careful when I applied the paint originally. Finally, although to their credit, EZ Chip tells you that you may have to do the process several times to build up successive layers to match the level of the original paint, it would take dozens of applications to fill it to the original level. So, after trying it on the biggest chip using the directions and finding that it was no better than any type of touch-up paint, I proceeded to use the little bottle of paint and the applicator brush as I would touch-up paint by putting tiny bits in the additional little chips. I skipped the second step of using the additional clear liquid. Now, I don't know how well Dr. Colorchip works, but you can save yourself some money by just ordering some touch up paint and a clear coat felt pen (Costco sells them in 3 packs for a few dollars, and they work very well).

Last edited by tberg; 11-03-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be good to see the end results if you can post a pic or two.....

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

when i first got my xk..I had the bonnet and front bumper..:hood and fender..painted..to make my car look better for me only..being black and useing polish..the small chips showed up..IT COST £400 FOR A GOOD JOB..IM HAPPY

Old 11-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

The exterior color also plays a big role in how visible the typical stone chip will be....

Our S-Type is Quartz (basically a corporate grey), and our XK8 is Onyx (white). Both hide their very few chips quite well. I'm amazed at how much better Jaguar paint holds up to front chips vs. Lexus paint. My wife's 2004 RX330 had at least 20 stone chips on the nose before I sold it in late July. Our 2005 S-Type has two, and her 2006 XK8 has only one....

We all complain about the lousy plastics in our Jaguars, but our paint is tough as nails....

Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Here are a few before and after pictures. I followed the EZ Chip directions exactly as suggested. The first shows a reasonably large "white" chip while the second shows it filled in with a lighter red color overlapping the edges of the chip and clearly not filled in. This was after three applications. Really no better than just buying a little tube of touch up for about a third of the price and dabbing the chip. Maybe Dr. Colorchip is a better product.

Attached Thumbnails paint chip repair-dscf0763-640x480-.jpg   paint chip repair-dscf0769-640x480-.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Jon89
I agree that the paint on the Jaguars is of exceptionally high quality. My XKR is more than 11 years old, kept outside at night, and even very close up, the paint is almost as new with the exception of the small paint chips on the nose. There is no fading, no checking, just beautiful shine. It's often mistaken for a much newer car, if not a new car in parking lot comments.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Here are a few before and after pictures. I followed the EZ Chip directions exactly as suggested. The first shows a reasonably large "white" chip while the second shows it filled in with a lighter red color overlapping the edges of the chip and clearly not filled in. This was after three applications. Really no better than just buying a little tube of touch up for about a third of the price and dabbing the chip. Maybe Dr. Colorchip is a better product.
Some hardening time followed by blending in with a random orbital will make it almost undetectable. Definitely an improvement on the base coat 'before' pic.

I've tried the Farecla Scratch & Stone Chip Removal Kit before. This looks to be very similar to the EZ Chip Repair Kit you've used.

I came to the conclusion that a batch of colour matched touch-in paint from my local autoparts supplier would be as effective and considerably lower cost. Subsequent tests proved this to be right.

Graham

Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stay away from the swab/paint kits!!

My 2 cents: I bought Dr. Colorchip for $ 59.00, which consisted of a small amount of paint, a small micro fiber towel, and the liquid that supposedly takes the excess paint off (It didn't)
for my BMW 325is (blk). It looked terrible! What a rip off! A bunch of black dots all over my hood. A respray is the only cure there. So as I looked at the road rash on my XK8, I decided I'd live with the "patina". Save your money and don't buy into the swab/paint kits. The TV ads are a bunch of BS!! A paint pen sounds like the way to go. But I still wouldn't touch the xk8.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Nofearzz,
I now agree, I guess I just had to learn my own lesson. Snake oil exists even today!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I own a Platinum 2001 Jaguar XKR Coupe that has several stone chips on the bonnet, fender and bumper which I show in JCNA Championship Concours in the Midwest. Last year my car was ranked 3rd in class 16A. I drive the car to all the shows and compete with several pristine cars. This year the judging was very strict and I noticed I continued to lose points due to the stone chips. I too bought Dr. Colorchip, but I ordered the green squeegee with my order. My wife and I spent one whole day applying the paint while following the directions perfectly. I found the fluid to remove all excess paint very well while the squeegee helped with the removal. We built layer upon layer of paint to fill the small rock chips holes. This definitely improved the appearance from before but unfortunately did not improve our score. I am planning on a respray this winter in time for the beginning of the 2013 season.
I use a clear vinyl self adhering 2.5 mil wrap to temporarily protect the car while driving to shows. The wrap is called Road Wrap and I found it easy to install and removes very easily without any harm to the finish. No adhesive was left behind after removal, I just apply some spray wax to clean the finish.I think Dr. Colorchip will help your appearance but will not be as good as a new respray.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (11-05-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There were at least 50 small chips on the front of my car, which I didn't like. The Langka kit was the answer. It contains a cleaner to remove wax, the 'blob off' and a clear coat. If you follow the instructions to the letter the results are amazing. You must actually use a blob of manufacturer's color, so overdo it instead of not using enough. The paint shrinks as it dries and you can put another coat over it, but there is no reason to if you do it the easy way in the first place. Buffing the blobs is a trial and error process, but with the right touch the finish is beautiful. The hood looks just like it came off the showroom floor, and for about $50 I am very pleased. Wish I had taken before pics. The after is remarkable. I recommend it highly. LANGKA Paint Chip Repair Photos and Video

Last edited by VisaDiva; 11-07-2012 at 12:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VisaDiva:
Jag Pilot (11-23-2012), tberg (11-07-2012)