Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Painted Calipers

I used the Dupli-Color caliper kit, and was pretty happy with the result. These have two coats on them, I'll probably be putting more on over time as they require touch up. I have plenty left, like about seven ounces out of the eight ounce can. I didn't use the caliper cleaner, didn't like all the content warnings on the lable, so I used Goof Off. The brush was kind of poor, but I had some of my own, so it didn't bother me when all the bristles came out when I tried to clean it between coats (it's really sticky paint). Good paint though, and that's the important part.

Did I hit all the proper areas? I painted them on the car (I took the wheels off, yes), so the recessed areas didn't seem to lend themselves to paint, especially on what looked like the back of the brake pads.

The following users liked this post:
floridabrian (12-30-2012)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When I did mine, I painted the back of the pads too. I thought it looked much better.

Skid Mark (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe that's the look I'm after. I'll try one and see.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice job.....I really want to / need to redo mine and hope to get the car back tomorrow, but as winter is already here I fear I'll be waiting for spring

Skid Mark (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim. Bet it is cold up there!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 309

Lol, its not actually that bad Mark, more like Autumn with temps at around 5 degrees or so, positively warm and still in my short sleeve shirts.

It'll be around -9 or so before I pull out the long sleeve ones and if it gets to -19 like we had a winter or so ago, I may even put on a jumper

As you can see, its not ideal for repainting the calipers just yet as the snow ( if / when it comes ) and ice turning to slush mixed with road salt will just eat into them anyway!!

Where in the US are you and do you get it bad?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in North Carolina, and winters here are pretty nice for the most part.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice job!

Govatos is right, that's a good tip on painting the back of the pads too (almost then makes it seem like a "full" brembo caliper), but the pads have to be removed for when you paint them otherwise the paint will hold the old pads in place and make a future replacement difficult.

Also, I'd give it a few coats of a high temp clearcoat, makes it last MUCH longer while preserving the shine and making sure the color doesn't fade. This is the 4th car I've painted calipers on and the clear coat makes all the difference for a long lasting finish years down the road.

Lastly, you can get "Jaguar" vinyl lettering, which you can then clearcoat over...nice touch that I personally think looks great, and the decals are cheap, just google for them if you're interested.

Overall I think for us non-brembo owners the Jag calipers look great painted, especially with that clean retainer spring in place too, a nice clean look without the cost of switching to a brembo system. A few pics of mine just to share..

Fronts:
Name:  4f18950b.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  43.5 KB

Rears:
Name:  2cc4b5be.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  35.8 KB

With the stock 18'' double fives on:
Name:  c7f6736d.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  49.6 KB
(would pop even more with bigger wheels, but I'm happy with my XKR as it is )

Last edited by pomosv; 11-18-2011 at 02:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pomosv:
floridabrian (12-30-2012), Luckout (02-28-2013)
Old 11-18-2011, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 313

Pomosv - firstly let me say, what a great job you've done on your calipers, all red n shiny and the Jaguar logo really helps to set them off. They really do look great, thanks for sharing.

I do mine on my A6 and redo them every year I guess....really need to get a good clear coat on them as I don't usually add it!

But, if you don't mind I have a question.......Why not paint the hub areas ( as hihlighted in your pic below ? )
When the wheel is attached the hub can be clearly seen and more before you actually see shiny brake disc / rotor.

I've edited your pic to include some arrows that show the area I mean....this looks old, dirty, rusty and tired looking compared to the beautifully painted calipers!

I've attached a few pics further down that show a new hub I was putting onto my vehicle and I had the opportunity to prepare it off the car, which is best obviously.
I've also done this when they've been on the car whilst doing the calipers at the same time.........It gives a much more rounded and finished look, don't you think?

Name:  2cc4b5be.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  P1010005-2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  1stcoat.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  60.2 KB

Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Pomosv. I'll try those decals. Is there a brush on clearcoat I could use?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

That red looks great on your silver car, and I like the decals also. I have ordered some. I'd like to paint my calipers as well, but can't figure out what color to use.

My car is the Titanium color, a bluish grey. I think that the red would be a little tacky looking on my car, and I have seen an Aluminum color that I could use, but it is so close to the same color as the wheels that I don't know if the calipers would even be noticeable.

Does anyone have a thoughts on what color might work?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kevin D
That red looks great on your silver car, and I like the decals also. I have ordered some. I'd like to paint my calipers as well, but can't figure out what color to use.

My car is the Titanium color, a bluish grey. I think that the red would be a little tacky looking on my car, and I have seen an Aluminum color that I could use, but it is so close to the same color as the wheels that I don't know if the calipers would even be noticeable.

Does anyone have a thoughts on what color might work?
I think you'd be very pleased with the red on your car.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 304

[quote=Kevin D;430479]That red looks great on your silver car, and I like the decals also. I have ordered some. I'd like to paint my calipers as well, but can't figure out what color to use.

Does anyone have a thoughts on what color might work?[/quote]

Like most everything else Kevin, its all down to personal taste. I happen to agree about the red calipers, they look great on Black and silver cars, but not on others.

Mine's a Deep blue colour and I ( as you have thought of doing ) have painted my hubs n calipers silver. They don't stick out like the Red calipers do, they're not in your face.....they're just there and give a very clean stock look!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
.....Why not paint the hub areas
Your experience may be different, but mechanics have good reason to hate painted hubs.

The wheels stick to the hub requiring such fine tools as sledge hammers and tire machine irons. That is, unless the mechanic knows the loosen wheel nuts and wobble around the parking lot trick.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Some great posts & pictures here. Well done, all. The Jaguar decals finish the painted calipers off nicely. Brembo, XKR, etc. versions can also be found on eBay. I put some Brembo decals on the factory-painted calipers of my Golf GTI a couple of years ago without clear coating them and they stayed on fine, even surviving the occasional jet wash.

I agree about the risk of seized wheels with painted hubs, though some copper grease before refitting the wheel should help.

Kevin, the calipers on my sky blue XKR are red and look fine, despite the two colours' not usually going together. I think they'd look great on your darker grey/blue.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 302

Originally Posted by Frog
Some great posts & pictures here. Well done, all. The Jaguar decals finish the painted calipers off nicely. Brembo, XKR, etc. versions can also be found on eBay. I put some Brembo decals on the factory-painted calipers of my Golf GTI a couple of years ago without clear coating them and they stayed on fine, even surviving the occasional jet wash.

I agree about the risk of seized wheels with painted hubs, though some copper grease before refitting the wheel should help.
Frog, I know where you and Plums are coming from but I've never had that experience myself, just a nice clean look
Kevin, the calipers on my sky blue XKR are red and look fine, despite the two colours' not usually going together. I think they'd look great on your darker grey/blue.

Have to say Frog, you kinda made me eat my words with those pics on the colour combo....stunning!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Have to say Frog, you kinda made me eat my words with those pics on the colour combo....stunning!
Thanks, but I see where you're coming from: handpainting the calipers after the car has come out of the factory always requires more care and attention. Any aftermarket modifications need to be toned down, IMHO, otherwise you end up with this sort of thing

Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

JimC64, you're right, the hub areas would look nice painted, I just haven't had the time to put into it, I actually had the paint bought and ready to go but instead used the time to mount the undersized 2.6'' SC pulley. The hubs also aren't visible through my 18'' double fives, though on 20's the hub painting would probably be more urgent. Will keep it in mind though!

Skid Mark - I used Duplicolor high temp clear coat in a can, you can get it as a paint on clear coat but I would advise to use the can, you get a more even finish and painting on with a brush could mess with the Jag decal lettering. If you mask off the disk, rubber bits and so on you should be fine with the can

Kevin D - I think the red would look nice with the lettering, the Jag decal almost makes it look like a factory finish. However, if you want to tone it down a bit you could always go for a gloss black with white lettering, I think that would look quite nice too and it's actually the stock color combo on several Aston model calipers:

Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sometimes the lot comes off after some donuts!

Attached Thumbnails Painted Calipers-img_1435.jpg  
Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Sometimes the lot comes off after some donuts!
Is that a 3000GT wheel?

Quick Reply: Painted Calipers