Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parcel shelf fabric?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts
Default Parcel shelf fabric?

So the 2 steps forward of today resulted in 1 step back; I got that but-ugly window tint the car came with removed, but in the process the already loose laying liner on the parcel shelf came loose altogether.
So I took out the seats and shelf, and cleaned everything up.

Now I am searching the net for the last 2 hours, and I can't seem to find any foam liner close to the color of the original (sable).
Do you guys have any lead to a supplier where I can order?

Alternatively I can cover the shelf in leather (I have done that with my Vanden Plas one), but I am not sure it will look too good in the Sable color, so I prefer fabric at this point.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have access to a product similar to Alcantara suede, called Passion Suede which I have gotten for many members of the X150 forum to redo their headliners and A pillars. It is much nicer than the OEM fabric, is strong, comes in over 100 colors, is 60" wide, and runs under $5.00/running yard. I have a sample book at home, so if you're interested, send a pm to me and send me a swatch of your existing, and I'll see if I can find a color that is similar. Although it doesn't have foam backing, it has some thickness to it so that I don't think you would need the foam to cover the parcel shelf.
Let me know if I can help.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
Don B (03-09-2019), ericjansen (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Let me know if I can help.
I actually looked at the suede options too, I can imagine it too look pretty good, could be a good offer you made there, appreciated!
Do you know if it can stretch?
It will need to follow the humbs of the headrests, then make a 180 degree down from there, those are the real 3D places.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Cool Eric

Alcantara Headliner and Parcel Tray in Ivory
Eric,

Here in Houston these Cars can get up to 180 degrees with the Windows up during the Summer....My stock Headliner fell down several years ago and I had it and the Parcel Tray replaced with Alcantara.....It's great looking stuff and still looks like it did new....All the Hot Shots in their Porsche's, Aston's and such go there as soon as they drive their Hot Shot Cars out of the Dealerships.....That's the Hot Deal, Alcantara.....Come to think of it, I've got a Hot Shot Car too! Don't you?
Sorry, this is the only Photo I have saved and it doesn't show the Parcel Tray well....but it's there!

The Big problem with the Parcel Tray is the Stop-Light....Mine. after several attempts still wants to move around; Have you found the secret to this? I've tried pushing stuff under it but that doesn't work very long! Also,It would help a great deal if I was only 3' or 4' Tall, Man, that is not a pleasant Job at 6' and a Bad Back!

Billy Clyde kin Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 02-09-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, that definitely looks great, and I can imagine the feeling it gives, bot visual and 'by the touch'.
Pity my headliner was renewed in the original color by the previous owner, and in great condition, it is just the parcel shelf which disintegrated.

I see you have an Ivory {NED] interior as well?
If so, the color match is an easy one, and will not require to send you a swap.

It should match the Sable which you have on the door upper parts (just visible on your pic), as well as the upper part of the dash facia.
The color is also used for the seat belt buckles, the belts itself, and some other small stuff.

PS. My stoplight was fixed, the 2 clips on the rear window still there.
I will need to clean it up though, and I know I might be in for the same problem as you have after re-install.
Common problem with the x308's as well ....

Last edited by ericjansen; 02-09-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member

So decided to cover the shelf in thin leather, the same stuff and grain look at the dash upper and the door uppers.
Finished the upholstery today, will make a Sable color match tomorrow, and re-dye it in the correct color.

Quite happy with the results today, was afraid for the 3D shapes in the headrest bumbs, but it worked well.

Thanks for the assistance, I am sure the Alcantara is on my long-term list if I decide to keep the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
bcprice36 (02-16-2019), Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Well done....

Old 02-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Very nicely done

Old 02-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

EricJansen……

OK! I see what you are doing now! I was looking at the Leather covered P-Shelf...Now I see you are going to Dye it.....OK! that will look really good for the contrast from front to back.....and it is the same grain pattern as the Dash......That will look good!!!! What about the Speaker Cover? What color will it be?

Be sure to send Photos! I might want to change mine up.... also

BC

Old 02-16-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

The Sable color used by Jaguar is the most difficult color I ever experienced.

First, you think it is kind of brownish, until you start to check closer, it is way more green / grayish.
But then you put it under some LED lighting, and all of a sudden the brown is back.
Then, each and every 'matching' color like the color of the belts is a total different shade....
That also counts for the original used fabric (which is also bleached by the sun), and the fabric on the speaker (again an other shade).

Anyway, I am close, pretty damned close, will just add a tiny bit of more red for the final layer.
It will be the same as the dash / doors, then will see how the speaker cover fabric will match.
Right now at some angles it is pretty close, at other angles it is way off.
It never stops ....

Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the set up of an Ivory door panel, with the parcel shelf combo.
Pretty close, specially considered they are a meter away from each other.

Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Arrow Moving along with the Artist!

Eric, I see what you mean....Looks to me like you need a little more Gray on the Tray....It's too Brown! Now. how you manage that …..I don't know without being there....It's just a little more Brown than it should be!

Do you have someone in the area that is an Artist or a Painter.....Maybe even a Paint Store, where they mix House Paint for inside walls? They have little gizmos which tell you what colors you need to mix-up certain Paint colors...You might try that as you are still way Brown! I look at that color every day in my XKR and never thought of it as a Brown.....Pour some Black in it.........Remember your 3 Base Colors Red, Blue and Yellow.....then, if you get close put in the Black....Looking at the Speaker-Cover, it's the same color as the Brown Tray, which is the Normal Color for it...but the Tray has to be more Grayer to match!

While you are putting all this back together, you told me you still had the little connectors on the Rear Glass that you hook-up the Brake-light too.....Mine are gone but I was thinking of Double-sided Masking Tape (the thick stuff) I thought of putting it down on the Tray sideways in strips and then Back and Forth on the bottom of the Light then lining everything up and pressing down on the Light......Do you think that will work or do you have a better idea? As you know, my Tray is Ivory like the Headliner but my Speaker Cover is the same as yours.
BC

Last edited by bcprice36; 02-16-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

Nehh, believe me, it is pretty spot on ... if you knew me, you should know I can't accept less than perfect.
I worked 3 weeks to get my rear Daimler Captain seats in the exact ivory as the fronts, coming from oatmeal.
It drove my wife completely crazy, but the end result was spot-on.

As with every color, it depends the kind of light, and the intensity you see it under.
Put some white led tube over it, and it is grey, put a yellow bulb over it, and all of a sudden it becomes brown.
And that speaker cover, well, that is actually the one which is wayyyy off ...

On the third brake light, I have it on the table right now.
It is amazing, but this 2003 XK still has the exact same flimsy plastic cover as the early x308 ... I took it out of the car to repair a crack, only to break off an even bigger piece
On fixing it up, I know that on your side of the pond you have special window glue for mirrors and brake lights.
I can see that you glue the LED strip housing to the window, then keep the cover removable (which will allow you enough space to remove the parcel shelf if needed).
Alternatively, if the pins to hold the cover are also broken, I can see to just glue everything together, then fixing it to the parcel shelf with some double sided tape.
I am not quite sure on the dimensions, but basically the cover is laying on the shelf, right?

I will re-install mine tomorrow, so I will have a better look for some alternative ideas.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
bcprice36 (02-17-2019), Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

eeEric,

The color you are looking for is the same color as the Divider trim on the Back-Seats in the Photo shown above !

BC

Last edited by bcprice36; 02-17-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
The color you are looking for is the same color as the Divider trim on the Back-Seats in the Photo shown above
Ha, now I understand what you are pushing ...
But nop, I was replicating the color of the top of the dash / top of the doors / etc. creating the same effect; the light ceiling parts bordering to the sable colored fascia.
The ORIGINAL Jaguar fabric on the parcel shelf had the same color, although the material difference, and 15 yrs of sunshine had its toll on the color.

I just finished up the re-installation, it looks pretty good I should say.
Raining cats and dogs though, so pics have to wait ....

Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Default Look alkes!!!

Look a likes!!!

Eric,

If I were to go out to the XKR and open the door and shoot a Photo.....It would look exactly like your Photo except for the Shift Knob and the 3 Gauges and mine's Black... As a matter of fact, the interior looks just like my first XK8 back in 1998....Only difference is my 98 was Topaz not Silver...….
When you match up the Shelf with the Dash you will have it! What color does Jaguar call that color? Sable?

By the way!! I forgot to ask, does your Right Side Mirror "DIP" when you back-up? Put the little knob over on the Right-side and when you put it in Reverse pull the little knob back toward you and let loose.....should dip so you can see the drive way while in reverse...

Billy Clyde

Last edited by bcprice36; 02-18-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

Wow. Seeing that interior makes me want to cry.

17 years worth of butts, sweat and beers (soda just didn't rhyme) has mine looking nothing like that. 😔

Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
By the way!! I forgot to ask, does your Right Side Mirror "DIP" when you back-up?
Yeah, mine does, but the function restored only after I took the button apart, and cleaned up the contacts.
One of the many many things I am going through on this car.
Oh yeah, those seats you have there are AWESOME!
Originally Posted by mhminnich
Wow. Seeing that interior makes me want to cry.
17 years worth of butts, sweat and beers (soda just didn't rhyme) has mine looking nothing like that. ��
I have done quite some interiors over the last 2 years, mainly helping out a friend here who has too many Jaguars.
It always amazes me how well they clean up, not only the leather, but also carpets etc.
A weekend of work for sure, but unless you got rips in the leather, the whole interior can be restored to almost new.
You will be amazed.

Last edited by ericjansen; 02-18-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member

And mission accomplished .... thank you all.
The surface of the parcel shelf is a bit shiny, as I put some lotion on it (to get faster rid of the dye smell), but it should dry up in the same semi-matt finish as the doors.
Next up the suspension.

Don B (03-09-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Eric,

That looks super! You do good work! I would like to do my Driver's seat as I wear Jeans quite often and they stain the Ivory quite a bit,,...,I've bought a bunch of stuff to clean it with and some dye to paint it with but haven't made the leap as I don't know much about what to do....I guess I'll just have to jump in a go for it....

What's up with the Suspension? What are your plans?
BC

Quick Reply: Parcel shelf fabric?