Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Car Value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parts Car Value?

Hey All,
Seeking a little advice, a local "buy here pay here" lot has managed to come into possession of a 1999 XK8, triple black (which is my #1 color choice) really nice body id give it a 7 or 8, top works without error on battery only. 96k on the clock, Interior about a 7 on a 1-10 scale. Stock 17" wheels not too badly scuffed
Havent run a carfax yet, but I did grab the vin.
The catch? Oh yes, that. Lot owner says the engine is "locked up". a turn of the start key reveals only a clack from the starter, nothing else. I didn't bring a breakerbar with a cranknut socket, but I do not doubt that it's locked up and in need of complete rebuild.

Asking price is 2600. So I ask you, dear members, what would you try to get it down to? If you were selling a parts car, what would you think fair?

I am under the assumption engine needs rebuilt, if anyone has been down that road and wants to scare me stupid, please do. My irrational desire for an xk is strong. I know I would be better off in the long run getting a running example, but it's a inexpensive by-in on the color combo I prefer. I'm a decent wrench with more time than money. I'd rather keep the DOHC, but I'm not above lumping.
Thanks to all of you that keep this place going.
-t.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

If the engine is not actually frozen it might be possible to rebuild. But look at the simple way out. A used engine is $2500 or so, and if you can do the swap yourself no significant expense. But that assumes the transmission and all the other typical problems are are not present. If I were looking at it, I would assume about $6000 to make it right and offer no more than $1500.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with RJ237, that if it only the engine, you can get a good deal, but how does the rest of the car look? Any visible rust underneath the car, rust the trunk below the spare, signs of fluid leaks (any fluid), the connections of the rear light clusters, etc.

If the car was cared for, and it is only the engine, it can be fixed, but if the car was neglected, you may want to reconsider.

Read the sticky's at the top and do some research on the site for common issues of these cars.

The reality is that we only read about the cars with issues on this forum, and we never read about the cars that do not have many issues.

By the way, if you decide to get the car, this forum is a must for a XK owner. These guys will help you fix anything on these cars. Best resource you can have.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts
Default bad engine

Let's face it, you could have over $2000 in parts. It might take you a little time to get that, but it's there if all else fails.

Wayne

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Default Thanks everyone-

I did not do super-thorough due diligence yet, and I have read many of the stickies and research notes. The guy on the lot knew nothing at all about Jaguars and this is a sketchy lot for sure. I looked over the car fairly thoroughly,externally, but not much room to get underneath. it was spitting rain and all...The car had not been cleaned out. I noted there was a dry cleaner ticket in the center console with a number on it. I called and the guy returned my call an hour later. Hehad the car for 18 months and heard noises, he said, thought it was the water pump and took it to a dealer, he had no idea about the timing chain thing. and after hearing a Jag dealer estimate saying you gotta do this work, he apparently returned it to the dealer he bought it from and walked away. 7k more got put on it and it sounds like it was driven till the timing chain gave out.... Air had never worked, other than that, he loved the car, the way it handled,the way it ran and the way it looked. He said that he received notice the car had sold for 1500, (leaving him on the hook for the remainder?) He had never heard of an LS-1 conversion, I was pleased he called me back, at least he could verify it wasn't a horrible flood victim.
So figuring the dealership maybe purchased it for 1500, that gives me a start for talking. I must be out of my mind, really. I'm sitting here now wondering just how hard it would be to drop a carb'd SBC engine in the thing with a 700r4 behind it until i could figure out what better direction to go. I know, I'm a special kind of idiot...
I'd "nope" my way out of it, normally and let better sense prevail, except it's the exact color combo I wanted. Purchased a Infiniti for my wife in Feb, so I would have to sell firearms or motorcycle stuff to pay for it....
But I would at least have one, or the shell of one and not just be dreaming anymore. Keep it coming. I need some sense smacked into me.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I went through this analysis with my totaled '00 XK8. My evaluation was that the car was worth $3000 where it sat as recycling material. That is what a couple of Jaguar specific yards estimated based on my description. That is also what the insurance company offered to sell it back to me for.

Not worth the hassle to convert the $3000 to $5-6000 through parting it out over a couple years.

[edit] May I add that the GM V8 conversion is a multi-thousand dollar effort. My conversion of a Volvo to a V8 Ford cost about $8000 for a pretty first class conversion. An LSx conversion into the Jaguar will be much more than that.

Last edited by test point; 06-02-2014 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twistyblackmetal (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for. If it's a project you want and you are an above average mechanic who can do the work, then $2k plus $3k for an engine swap gives you a nice car to drive.

If neither of the two things are true, walk away and save your money up for a running car. Non-runners can turn into money pits very quickly.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Hmm. Anyone know if the XJ 4.0 or the X/S type cars 4.0 motors are a direct fit mechanically? I am sure that electronics may not be a direct swap. So much research to do! A fun mental exercise if nothing else.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I'll not comment on value as different rules apply on this side of the Atlantic.

As far as the engine is concerned, worst case has to be either overheated (warped heads) or tensioners gone and valves have played a drum roll on the pistons. Quick fix is a used engine from same model year. Slower but possibly lower cost is a rebuild if you can do the labour. Of course, a clunk on the starter could be a lot less serious. If you're really in luck it may even be as simple as the battery lead to the main junction box is loose or breaking up.

Lumping has it's attractions as a US engine is easier for you to obtain and an alternative engine from the Jaguar range doesn't make this much easier. Downside is complications of matching to the Jaguar electronics and a likely loss in resale value.

From your description of body and interior, it's certainly worth considering. However, Jaguar trim is expensive so be extra critical of any interior faults as the repair costs can be frightening.

Graham

Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Interior looks good, seats in decent shape, good carpet, etc. Certainly liveable.
I really really like the sophistication of the Jaguar and the luxury of the electronics and yes, finding a replacement or rebuilding the engine and keeping the car as Jaguar as possible has a lot of appeal..... There is another part of me that would rather just orphan almost all systems, hang a V8 and auto trans in it and just move everything over to manual mode. Ditch the AC, build a vdo gauge cluster, figure out a way to keep the ABS and air bags (if I can)...Kind of like building a race car, but street legal. I'm not in need of excessive horsepower either. I think if I could figure out a way to hang a 3.5 v-6 out of an Infiniti in it that would be power enough! I'd put a carbed engine in it if I had to. I just love the sleek lines of the 1997-2005 XK's. I am not worried about resale value, When I am lucky enough to get one of these machines, preferably an orphan no one else wants at a rock bottom price. I plan on keeping it around for a very long time. I have a feeling it's either going to go two ways, either I decide to save and get the cleanest example I can, or purchase one destined for the scrap heap and mess with it to my hearts content, worse comes to worse, it ends up disassembled and someone gets to rescue theirs from collision damage.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Things have gotten much more complicated than that. The car is run by a CANetwork that ties everything to the ECM. In a half a$$ed swap either the engine/transmission are not going to work or nothing else is. Else includes little things like door locks, AC, fuel gauge, temp and oil pressure, seat controls and speedometer and almost anything else you can think of.

The LSx swap system is available for about $2000 but count on at least $10k more before you can drive it.