Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential owner seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Potential owner seeking advice

Hi guys,
have been reading the forum this weekend and decided to join.
I have been collecting motorcycles for some time, and had pretty much decided to sell some of the more collectable ones and move the money into an Aston but then couldn't stop looking at the XK8's and R's, and what value for money they really are, not to mention the R's being actually more powerful than the AM V8 Vantage that I could afford (relatively speaking)

As with my bikes, I also have concerns with depreciation, and I am thinking that these cars have pretty much bottomed out, the only thing bumming me out (only slightly) is the lack of a manual option....Oh well.
For those of you that will say if you care about depreciation then you shouldn't buy one; I think its both feasible and smart for my situation; I've done the same with bikes and have essentially made profit or broke even on all my bike purchases and sales for years now.
All that said, are there any years or models that I should avoid?
I understand there were 2 engine sizes 4.0 and 4.2 and the 8 and R versions, with other specialty editions in there like Silverstone etc. Any known reliability issues in certain years?
Ideally looking for an R Coupe, but willing to consider other models.
Any info appreciated including whats reasonable money for these and if higher mileage is a no no......

Cheers

Daren

Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Daren, to save a lot of issues just get a 2003 or later. By 2005 most are as good as it's going to get.
Sounds like you have done your homework, look forward to hearing how you experience goes. The Coupe may be harder to find, maybe not in your area, with all the rain.

Wayne

Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Daren,

I've previously owned both 2001 and 2005 Coupes and agree with Wayne's advice. Jaguar gradually resolved most of the design problems and choosing one of the later model years would save you checking or resolving the early issues.

The https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/ 'sticky' thread at the top here will give you a good idea of the regular issues.

With any used Jaguar, a complete service history is crucial. Any gaps should be questioned closely.

The various special editions don't generally attract a premium but the 'Victory Edition' has all the options included.

Good luck with the search for the right one for you.

Graham

Old 07-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I'd say you got a 50/50 shot at MAKING money on these cars if you buy it and keep it for a bit then sell. The newer the more they cost, less room for profit. The older model you choose the less they are worth and frankly the less the demand, thus continued low price.
If buy one and mod it beyond just normal maint stuff these cars get, even using upgraded parts you will have a smaaall market of buyers willing to pay more for it.
We all seem to agree here that these cars will be possible collector cars, 97-2005 but the worth, the jury is out on that one still.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

There may be money in the one off special editions but most buyers of these cars are not muscle car buyers willing to pay higher buck for the 454 version of a Camaro if you will.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:03 AM

Thanks for your advice guys; shame I haven't sold the bikes yet because this one seems like it checks all the right boxes:

Jaguar XK8 XK8 Coupe | eBay

Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

The dealer is a Brit who specializes in the sale of XK's and XJS's (he's currently got 3 up for auction). His feedback credentials are flawless. You might want to contact a local independant technician (or one at a dealer) and offer to pay him to check the car out on your behalf. Use the findings for negotiation and maybe do an off-eBay deal - the seller will be more negotiable since he'll be avoiding eBay's fee.

Good Luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:02 PM

Appreciate that.

Originally Posted by MediaBobNY
The dealer is a Brit who specializes in the sale of XK's and XJS's (he's currently got 3 up for auction). His feedback credentials are flawless. You might want to contact a local independant technician (or one at a dealer) and offer to pay him to check the car out on your behalf. Use the findings for negotiation and maybe do an off-eBay deal - the seller will be more negotiable since he'll be avoiding eBay's fee.

Good Luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
I'd say you got a 50/50 shot at MAKING money on these cars if you buy it and keep it for a bit then sell. The newer the more they cost, less room for profit. The older model you choose the less they are worth and frankly the less the demand, thus continued low price.
If buy one and mod it beyond just normal maint stuff these cars get, even using upgraded parts you will have a smaaall market of buyers willing to pay more for it.
We all seem to agree here that these cars will be possible collector cars, 97-2005 but the worth, the jury is out on that one still.
I sold my 98 XK8 convertible after adding 5000 miles to it over two summers, and basically got my money back, except for the 1000 that I spent on tensioner replacement, and 250 to replace a headliner that the mice chewed up. I am now driving a 2003 Porsche Boxster S, and I hope it treats me as well as did the Jaguar.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MediaBobNY

Good Luck.
I was in the same position. If you are speaking about Ebay feedback, I would not go on that very much. I got my car off ebay, the dude said he has a 25 year seasoned JAG mechanic look it over. I guess he missed the clearly view-able cambered front end, misses the signs of leaking tstat housing and other things with ONE drive he would have seen. They knew what they were selling and I just paid to fix it this past week. Mechanically it is a good car, just got taken on the pending maint items they chose not to disclose.
BUYER BEWARE.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

That is a gorgeous car! Of course, that could be said about almost any XK. The price, however, is pretty high. Kelly Blue Book pegs it at under $12,000. I bought my 2005 Carbon Fiber XK8 with 56,000 miles in late 2011 and paid $16,000. I can't imagine the seller will get near what he's asking. If you don't get this one, I hope you find another. Good cars are out there. Keep reading the Forum and get as educated as you can. And stick to the later models, for sure. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 PM

Yes, I did KB it, but like my bikes, sometimes with the nicer examples KB can be pretty inaccurate, however I do agree that the mileage is sorta high for the price, even thiough its a nice days/weekend driver for me, so I doubt I'll be doing more than 3-5k a year. I think I was just thrilled to find such a late model (2006), as nearly everything I have been looking at has been pre 2003. Definitely absorbing all the info I can from this sight and going with the 4.2.

Cheers

Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi DBAM

The later XKR's , especially a 4.2 would be a great car.

Don't discount the early 2000's XKR.

So long as it has a good service history and all the big ticket stuff has been done ( like timing chain tensioners etc ) you should get a nice car for low $.

My history in Australia.

I paid $ 38000 Aus for a 2000 XKR convert , with 105,000kms , a full service history and only 2 previous owners. The owner before me had only done 5000kms in 6 years but it was a regular weekender and had had lots of $ tipped into it before I got it.

Not sure about the newer models but beware that the XKR can chew out suspension bushes.
I just had all of mine redone, front and rear , by a great independent Jag expert here in Victoria , for around $2300 Aust.

It also could do with some new shocks at the rear but for now , they're good.
That will be around $2500 Aust.

I looked around for about 6 months, advertised in wanted in Jaguar car club magazines and got a really well looked after example. He's not concourse but very neat and tidy.

My advice would be to have about $5000 under the bed for some repairs after you buy.

Good luck with it. They are a magnificent GT car.

Pete

Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 PM

Thanks Pete, good stuff. Yes, my goal would be to have the XKR coupe, and I do get a kick out of the fact that they have more power than a 2006-2008 Aston Vantage . Here in the states though, it seems that the coupes are quite few and far between. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Have to sell my Ducati MH900e to fund it first.