XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepurchase opinion-one more option

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prepurchase opinion-one more option

I have another thread discussing an 01 XKR Vs. 03 XK8, but I almost signed off on on local to me (the others are both 600+ away)

This third dark horse is a 99 XK8 Topaz, 21,000 one celebrity owner (George Michael...is that a pro or con!) we actually had the deal worked, but when we took it for a second longer drive it threw a red light and low coolant message, never heated up and cleared itself after a couple of minutes, but it completely freaked the wife. Any simple cause for this?
They are "Looking into it" (I think they thought I was full of it)

This car is 2K cheaper than the others, needs a few cosmetics, missing a defroster grill, the windshield post fabric is a little loose, but otherwise equally sweet and I gain approx 2 yrs of milage given my driving habits.
Thoughts? I keep thinking just go buy this one for fear of driving 14hrs to???

Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

I should mention also, the 99 will have a basic powertrain 3mo/3000 mile warranty, and the deal is laying there, I just didnt sign on the line, no travel time and expense.....

Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it, George Michael! You got to have faith, faith, faith.....

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Coolant level sensor is very finicky. Just being a tiny bit low can throw that light. On the other hand, with that age, you could have some bad hoses.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Whoa, 17K is a very high price for a '99 XK8, mileage notwithstanding. At that price you should expect a nearly perfect vehicle.

If the fabric is loose the a-pillars and header need to be recovered or replaced...and I would take a close look at the headliner....likely it is also loose and limp, meaning the foam liner has deteriorated. Factor in $1200-$1500 for an upholstery shop to redo all of this.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Whoa, 17K is a very high price for a '99 XK8, mileage notwithstanding. At that price you should expect a nearly perfect vehicle.

If the fabric is loose the a-pillars and header need to be recovered or replaced...and I would take a close look at the headliner....likely it is also loose and limp, meaning the foam liner has deteriorated. Factor in $1200-$1500 for an upholstery shop to redo all of this.
+1 I just paid 17k for an 03 with 37k on the clock. When I took it to the Jag mechanic to see what it needs he basically told me if I felt like it I could put a new set of tires and shocks and an alignment but none are a pressing issue otherwise it needed nothing. Car is without fault on both the interior and exterior Interior looks brand new. I looked at a 98 xk8 with 14k on the clock car was very impressive interior and exterior, engine sounded fine. In the end I wanted to stay away from the early xk8, I did not like the color combo, I was a bit leary of this car being to "unused" and I thought his price was a bit high. I believe it is still on the lot. Here is the link Alpine Motors | Used Cars Long Island NY :: 1998 Jaguar XK8 Wantagh NY 596 : Used Cars Wantagh NY,Certified Pre-owned Autos Wantagh NY,Used Cars Nassau County NY,Used Luxury Sports Cars NY,European Autos Wantagh NY,Previously Owned Vehicles NY,Used T

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

From everything I've seen a 99 should be 10-14kish. Maybe an extra grand if it's immaculate, very low mileage, like this one and has all the issues inspected and corrected.

I would rather get an earlier 97/98 than a later 01/02... at least the cost needed for repairs would be absorbed by the much lower price. If you're going to go newer, go for 03 if you can confirm 3rd gen secondaries or 04+.

As much as I love my XK8, If I saw a triple black 04+ XKR I would probably just buy it on the spot.

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Smile And the winner is.....................

The 1999 Gold XK8! Was able to get some great info from the Dallas dealer that has serviced it, got extensive history, new brakes and top hoses in 2010, new front end bushings, new back end bushings (well something on the rear suspension anyway) New Perelli P Zeros, they did a prepurchase inspection for the dealer I bought it from and gave it a clean bill of health. The A post fabric is not actually very loose, just slightly, the Headliner is great. We massaged the deal and got a little more out of em/off the car however you want to slice it, and I'm sure I paid too much....but man I love this car!
Some general questions to you veteran owners:

I've owned a number of convertibles, but it seems the top moves...slow, it's steady, but not fast.

Do you have trouble with people staring at your car???

Do your wives try to take your car and give you that stupid KIA hamster thing she had to have? (no offense hun....)

Has anyone ever tried to fashion a radio surround out of a thin piece of walnut...I'm thinkin I will try.

And lastly what has been your experience with coventry west? I ordered a Demister vent, the guy quoted me 25.00, when it came in todat the charge was for 50.00, they are correcting it but the gentleman seemd rather peved, fluke?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cheaperts
The 1999 Gold XK8! Was able to get some great info from the Dallas dealer that has serviced it, got extensive history, new brakes and top hoses in 2010, new front end bushings, new back end bushings (well something on the rear suspension anyway) New Perelli P Zeros, they did a prepurchase inspection for the dealer I bought it from and gave it a clean bill of health. The A post fabric is not actually very loose, just slightly, the Headliner is great. We massaged the deal and got a little more out of em/off the car however you want to slice it, and I'm sure I paid too much....but man I love this car!

Some general questions to you veteran owners:

And lastly what has been your experience with coventry west? I ordered a Demister vent, the guy quoted me 25.00, when it came in todat the charge was for 50.00, they are correcting it but the gentleman seemd rather peved, fluke?
Great choice! Mine is a '99 Gold (Topaz) XK8 as well.

1) "Do you have trouble with people staring at your car???" I have people staring at my car, but it's not a problem.

2) "I've owned a number of convertibles, but it seems the top moves...slow, it's steady, but not fast." -- While this is my first convertible, it too moves slow and steady. The entire cycle takes about thirty seconds. To me, anything faster might be a safety issue.

3) "Do your wives try to take your car and give you that stupid KIA hamster thing she had to have? (no offense hun....)" -- She hasn't tried to take it, yet - she has not driven it. My worry is once she does, I'll have the same problem as you. She currently drives a supercharged Bonneville. While it's not a KIA Hamster-Mobile, she'll find the Jag in non-Sport mode is quite docile, refined and easy to drive, much better than the Bonny.

4) "Has anyone ever tried to fashion a radio surround out of a thin piece of walnut...I'm thinkin I will try." -- Yes they have. Check out the "Got Wood" thread - you won't have to fashion your own.

5) Can't help you with Coventry West - sorry.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

Hmmm... I would have gone with George Michael's car.

...Wait! Did it belong to George Michael from WHAM! or George Michael from "Arrested Development"?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Hmmm... I would have gone with George Michael's car.

...Wait! Did it belong to George Michael from WHAM! or George Michael from "Arrested Development"?
or George Michael the former WRC sportscaster in DC ?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

probably a fluke, we've got a member who actually works, or seems management at coventry. So far, i've heard nothing but good things from other's experiences with them. My guess the vent wasn't supposed to be that cheap...I show that vent to be $35 in 2005, dealer price. You should download as much of the parts files and vehicle specification docuemtns from the FAQ thread at the top of the xk8-r subforum. I reference it almost weekly.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Previous owner was George Michael from wham fame and bad behaviour infamey, thats why my son and I detailed it backwards and forwards today...you don't know what...and don't want to know!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm......I just bought a 2000 in like new condition for $7300 from an Audi dealer in Phoenix. What is the market value for these cars, I have seen them from my car low to $18K. My miles are just under 100K so that really cant be high for a 11 year old car. I just dont get it.... Mike

Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by macsr
hmmmm......I just bought a 2000 in like new condition for $7300 from an Audi dealer in Phoenix. What is the market value for these cars, I have seen them from my car low to $18K. My miles are just under 100K so that really cant be high for a 11 year old car. I just dont get it.... Mike
Actually that makes perfect sense. From what I've seen, and many have tracked, the price of these cars is more directly related to the mileage than any other factor. 100k on the clock always represents rock bottom pricing.