XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At this price, are the parts worth more then the whole?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default At this price, are the parts worth more then the whole?

1997 on Craigslist for $3K

Hey folks,
I'm a bit new around here, but thought I'd post this. I've been thinking of getting an XK for a little while now. I've been looking more at X150's then X100's since I really like the idea of the 2010+ XKR's with 500HP and all the modern conveniences starting to move into the teen's (or just above) for price. But I actually do think the X100 is a sleek looking machine, and had considered the later 4.2 supercharged models as something to keep an eye on as well. Then this popped up on my local craigslist. The owner doesn't list mileage, so I'm guessing it is high, hence the low price. But from the pictures it doesn't look in to bad a shape otherwise. It looks like the antenna may be stuck up, but since I'm not much of a radio listener, I'm guessing that may have an easy fix in a permanently down position.

But I guess my real reasons for posting here, was to A, let others know it was out there, since I'm not sure it's right for me or not. And B, ask the question in the title. At this price, would this car actually be worth more parted out then it is as a whole? If so, it would almost be worth buying and have some fairly worry free fun with, if it breaks bad enough and gets to expensive to fix, sell off the good parts, and you still aren't out much. So, what are peoples thoughts around here on the subject?

Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

It definitely looks straight and tidy - if a little dusty!
Antenna mast is broken off (trivial) and it doesn't appear to be particularly low at the front. Interior is fairly tidy and the front seats unworn, suggesting replacement or recovering fairly recently.

I'd be looking at the motor, and more so the transmission health at this price.

Would you get your $$$ back? Depends on the state of the above and/or how long you can live with a parts car taking up space...

Always worth a look if the logistics work for you, IMO

The following users liked this post:
John Nevets (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

Fork over another grand and you'll at least break even.
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/344760479693055/?search_query=Jaguar

John Nevets (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Thanks for your observations Michaelh. It's not that far away, but I'm not sure when I'm going have the chance to take a look. Even though it is a new posting, I believe it has been for sale before, and is not a hot item. Yea, I agree with you that I think the drive train is probably where this particular car will show its age, with it being at that price, but who knows.

I don't usually look at vehicles as investments. They are either practical things, or fun things (or both). In either case you get your value out of them with use, not sitting in the garage. So, it was just an odd thought I had with this particular one that it may be worth more for the parts that make it up, then as a running vehicle in its entirety.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Ltd
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Craigslist xk8

I bought mine off Craigslist. Three grand. Seller disclosed timing chain tensioners needed replacement, as price was reduced from $7,500.

mine is convertible.

I am doing all repair work.

New tensioners, new spare tire, fluid changes, coolant reservoir, wheel bearings, front. Front shocks and upper bushings. Rear upper and lower shock mounts.
sway bar bushings.

Used harmonic balancer. Rear window regulator. Rear view mirror. Rear speakers. Front tweeters.

Fuel filter. Brake discs, caliper rebuilds, pads.

Right side hydraulic ram, used. New battery. Thermostat and tower. Cooling hoses. Octopus hose. Prop shaft coupler.

But still. She’s my baby. And I know the work is done. Tires are only one year old. Top is great. Shifts, handles, and goes with class. Zero rust. Paint is excellent.

very satisfied. You should try to get her history. Are tensioners upgraded? Bushes, bearings, paint? Corrosion issues? Original engine, transmission?

I was judging mine on whether it has “good bones”, and it does The tensioners is a bit of a job.

This is forum is invaluable for the do it yourself mechanics. I would not have considered a 20 year old xk8 with no service records if I had to pay someone to have fixed.

Perhaps you should go see it. Drive it. Talk to the owner. Then you will get a feel for whether she’s a keeper, or you should pass.

ltd

The following 2 users liked this post by Ltd:
John Nevets (01-15-2019), michaelh (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 672 Posts

I used to buy wrecked Toyota Supras to fix up or part out as sort of a sideline hobby business when I was younger. The thing to consider is there is an awful lot of WORK involved in selling individual parts to fairly rare cars. You've got to advertise the parts online as there's not that many buyers locally. You've got to take lots of good pictures. Always have to find odd-shaped/sized boxes for shipping. You have to carefully remove and pack the parts, be responsive in communicating with buyers and prompt with shipping. The buyer never comes along when its convenient either, rather they always want something at the same time your boss or family wants something or when the weather is foul. And it can take a long time, like years, depending how hard to work at it. If you've got a place to keep the car in covered storage while you part it out, that's one thing, but I would strip the shells bare, label and store all the parts on shelves inside my building so that I could send the shells to the crusher ASAP and so that the parts would be instantly ready to ship. If you have to leave the car outdoors while you strip it, know that you need to sell off all the interior and underhood bits before you can sell any of the glass, doors, hood, etc, otherwise you will lose the value of any parts that are exposed to the weather. But yes, a whole car is almost always worth less than the sum of its parts, unless its a high-mileage, sun-baked, rust-bucket by which point its worth scrap weight either way.

The following 2 users liked this post by pdupler:
John Nevets (01-16-2019), volkris (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM

So Phil you are the reason so few whole Supra's are on the road these days, you kept destroying them all. ;-)

Actually you probably helped keep more on the road then would be otherwise, nice job. In fact if I choose to pick up one of these beauties I'll be using the services of someone like you to fix up some of the little things I'm sure to need. And I also appreciate your insight in the overall matter, as well as everyone else.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I used to buy wrecked Toyota Supras to fix up or part out as sort of a sideline hobby business when I was younger. The thing to consider is there is an awful lot of WORK involved in selling individual parts to fairly rare cars. You've got to advertise the parts online as there's not that many buyers locally. You've got to take lots of good pictures. Always have to find odd-shaped/sized boxes for shipping. You have to carefully remove and pack the parts, be responsive in communicating with buyers and prompt with shipping. The buyer never comes along when its convenient either, rather they always want something at the same time your boss or family wants something or when the weather is foul. And it can take a long time, like years, depending how hard to work at it. If you've got a place to keep the car in covered storage while you part it out, that's one thing, but I would strip the shells bare, label and store all the parts on shelves inside my building so that I could send the shells to the crusher ASAP and so that the parts would be instantly ready to ship. If you have to leave the car outdoors while you strip it, know that you need to sell off all the interior and underhood bits before you can sell any of the glass, doors, hood, etc, otherwise you will lose the value of any parts that are exposed to the weather. But yes, a whole car is almost always worth less than the sum of its parts, unless its a high-mileage, sun-baked, rust-bucket by which point its worth scrap weight either way.
So agree. I have parted out motorcycles and usually at the end there is a pile of crap 2 years later that I give to the local motorcycle junkyard just so I don't throw it in the trash. The guy usually would give me a tiny bit of cash on trade towards other parts or a few dollars, not much at all, but it was trash at that point to me. Cars are a much bigger to do for the reasons you mention. Motorcycle bodies and interiors are a lot smaller .

Unless you really want to put in the effort, I advise against it. I've only parted stuff out as a way to recoup some money on a vehicle that's mechanically (bad trans at 300k type thing) or physically totalled. I don't try to get everything for everything, just enough to where the hit isn't as bad. It's worked but it really is a ton of work, even on common cars.

John Nevets (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

The best advice I got on buying a used car was buy one with either mechanical problems, body work needed, or a bad interior. Never more than one of those. I bought my 2000 X-100 convertible with 58,000 miles from a Craigslist ad. The body and interior were near perfect and there were no overt mechanical problems. I proactively changed out the tensioners, transmission valve body, water pump, thermostat housing and several other known potential problems. I didn't drive the car all that much, but thoroughly enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. A few months ago the engine started missing and it turned out to be a chipped exhaust valve. So with 70,000 miles on it I paid to have a complete valve job done. It was almost insanely expensive, but my rational was that the overall condition was excellent and I will probably keep the car until I can no longer drive at which point I will almost certainly lose money upon selling it.

I think of it terms of being in a relationship with a beautiful woman that makes you the envy of all of your friends.Only you know that it's a high-maintenance often exasperating situation, but you still hang in there for all of the same reasons as owning a Jaguar. Just my 2-cents.

John Nevets (01-16-2019)