Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with big guy in pass seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Problem with big guy in pass seat

Ok I took my 02 xkr to visit a friend, he wedged himself in (6'4" / 300#) and off we went, he didn't use his seatbelt (another disc at another time) afterward I received the airbag light flash on startup (then remaining on). I've read every thread here on this and have a good idea what to look for, what I didn't see was how to decode the flashes, I get two quick flashes, pause then two pause.. this occurs 10times.

NOTE: All was fine with several others riding over 2 months till I let the elephant in the room.

So I did due diligence, and wanted to check connections, go to pull the pass seat and hmm someone stripped one of the 4 bolts! Out comes the dremmel and had a star into a slot... seat out, ok let's do the headrest mod from Sam, No problems there another fine fix thanks Sam. (did both sides).

All connectors looked ok and seated, as were wires going into connectors.

I also checked the 10amp fuse as well, it's ok.

I need to understand the decode to narrow this down, I didn't see specific instructions outside.. it will flash.. I've got the decode chart etc.. Can someone verbalize how to read the flashes ? Many Thanks

Moral of the story, No more rides for my pal....

Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I had an issue with my SRS system (not your fault 22), mine took 4 months to find and fix
with help from this and the UK forums. A word of warning with the SRS system, make sure you follow the "power down" sequence in the TSB's that are available on this forum, the SRS system is a very sensitive module and accidental deployment is not where you want
to be! Reading around the net......and i quote what was written "The code 22 is for the driver side air bag which is the one mounted in the seat."
What is wrong here is you stated the fault occurred with the passenger side ?
On my 2005MY XKR i have the air bag light in the cluster (the one that gave you the code 22) and one SRS lamp in the passenger facia panel that lights up for 2 secs on start up and then goes out if the system is functioning ok. The question is do uou have this second lamp on your model ?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the update/information. I do have a led near the glove box on the dash, the one flashing is on the cluster. The reason I focused on the passenger side was due to it occurred after my large friend (very good friend/life brother) got in on the passenger side, could have been a coincidence but I'm a cause effect kind of guy. You say this is '22' again how did you decipher if you could.
I do heed your advice on caution and have the JTIS installed on my desktop.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

I do have the led on the passenger side, this does come on then off when I start the car. I did notice the flashes are as such, fl-fl-pause-fl-fl-long pause,, I didn't have a watch or timer but I'm suspecting the long pause is the delimiter.
I'll pull the drivers seat again (had it out when looking at pass to do headrest fix).. though I did give the harness a once over when it was out. BTW what was your final outcome?

Old 10-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

The fault "22" is from the flashes you are seeing on the cluster......Flash, Flash, (2) Pause Flash, Flash (2) it normally repeats this 3 X.
You are fortunate that your fault is not the "spacial sensing system" this can be a real nightmare to find & fix and you will need the data logger facility within SDD to fix a "spacial sensing fault." I read some where on here (or the UK forum), a common fault with our cars is the airbag container in the seat bolster suffers from a poor electrical connection. A Jag mechanic stated that he see's a number of XK's come in with this fault that took him 30mins to fix but but Jag charged 4hrs labour on the customer.
So that's the next place to look.
TS

The following users liked this post:
jamdmyers (10-27-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts