XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

put a deposit on 01 xk8 and I have ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default put a deposit on 01 xk8 and I have ??

Car is light blue, but several sites I have visited said that the color was not available. But, it looks like the original color, either that or someone stripped the car and repainted?

It says that Navigation was an option, but I have yet to see one for sale with this option. Is the option that rare and how hard are they to come by?

Trying to stem off any problems, plus I like to replace all fluids, belts, plugs, etc...
What plugs run the best? My vette liked TDK, always got the best mileage with them

Read alot about cam tensioners, is there a bolt(s) I can look at and get an indication if the timing cover has been removed?

T-stat, do this anyway, but are there any I should stay away from?

Brake fluid, do these come with synthetic?

Where can I get the FSM(s)?

Thanks,
Randy

Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

They came in a color called arctic blue metallic (or something like that). It was a light, silvery looking blue. Frog (another member) has one in that color and it's beautiful.

Some of the cars came with a factory nav system, but it is outdated now. I've retrofitted mine with a Garmin.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

hey randy, i'll try to help with a few of those...

Car is light blue, but several sites I have visited said that the color was not available. But, it looks like the original color, either that or someone stripped the car and repainted?
You can find out the original color by being really nice, and catching your jaguar parts guy on the phone (try an off-peak time) and give him the VIN. if its zircon or a frost blue, I think those were available for 01, but thats a color combo was put on less cars than say ... british racing green, sapphire blue, or platinum silver.

It says that Navigation was an option, but I have yet to see one for sale with this option. Is the option that rare and how hard are they to come by?
navigation was an option on the XK8, standard on the XKR. I would venture that more cars were manufactured WITH the navigation screen than W/O it...resulting in the three analog gauges in its place.

Trying to stem off any problems, plus I like to replace all fluids, belts, plugs, etc...What plugs run the best? My vette liked TDK, always got the best mileage with them
I've learned that cars need the same plugs they were designed to work with. In my case, NGK irridiums were OEM, so I stuck with them, and have been really pleased. If you check the vehicle specification booklet in our FAQ thread in this subforum, you'll see what brand/type was originally supplied for your model year.

T-stat, do this anyway, but are there any I should stay away from?
nobody has ever said "Brand X t-stat bites, stay away!" on these forums. So, find any brand you feel comfortable with by name.

Where can I get the FSM(s)?
F? Service Manual? If that is what you seek, you'll only find it on the Jaguar Technical Information System CD, free for download and creation from the FAQ thread in this subforum. No paper documents exist for these cars in relation to comprehensive car repair.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 PM

FSM = Factory Service Manuals

Been dealing with my vette so long, I forget everyone does not know GM jargon.

One last set of questions -

Brake pedal travels a good bit, are M/C (master cylinders) a problem on these cars?

My vin ends with 14242, anybody know when the block was changed to steel cylinders and metal tensioners?

I looked in the FAQ, but I will admit it was more of a quick glance. Sorry, I work on computers all day and hate searching to hard.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 PM

I lied, I have another question.

Where can I find the hydraulic hoses?

Did a search on the bay and found a kit w/3 hoses, but I thought these have 2???

I HATE unexpected showers!!

And my thought for the day (since I drove 300 miles).

If a IQ test was part of the drivers license test, there would be no congestion and gas would still be $0.50 a gallon. Because 90% of the population would not have a license.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 PM

For got this part, there is a reddish material around the top of the shock tower, is this a problem or is this normal wear and tear. It is coming from under the shocks top washer bolt.

Thanks again

Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by randyb
My vin ends with 14242, anybody know when the block was changed to steel cylinders and metal tensioners?
The tensioners were finally changed to metal in the 2003 XK8 and forward. I'll try to find the exact information I found when researching my own recent process.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I lied, I have another question.

Where can I find the hydraulic hoses?

Did a search on the bay and found a kit w/3 hoses, but I thought these have 2???

I HATE unexpected showers!!
The hoses that cause the 'shower' are the top latch hoses. They are sold in a set of two, not three.

There are also a pair of hoses for each of the hydraulic lifts. These hoses do not fail as of or as dramatically.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

For got this part, there is a reddish material around the top of the shock tower, is this a problem or is this normal wear and tear. It is coming from under the shocks top washer bolt.

Thanks again
The foam cushioning on the upper shock mounts is a common source of trouble. The foam does deteriorate. If there are lots of 'crumbs' you should consider replacement.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The foam cushioning on the upper shock mounts is a common source of trouble. The foam does deteriorate. If there are lots of 'crumbs' you should consider replacement.
Is that the name - Foam Cushioning or is there another name?

And thanks for the help.

Last edited by randyb; 08-27-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Is that the name - Foam Cushioning or is there another name?

And thanks for the help.
The upper shock mount assemblies must be replaced. See:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eplaced-35864/

Old 08-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Veteran member

if you didn't look in this FAQ (specifically for our models)

testpoint says
The engine serial number encodes the date the engine came off the engine assembly line. The conversion to metal tensioners occurred on August 13, 2001, thus a serial number of 010813xxxx (YYMMDDHHMM). There is no direct correlation between the engine serial number (date of engine assembly) and the VIN although a dealer can provide the engine number from the VIN.

The following users liked this post:
Terrapin (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
if you didn't look in this FAQ (specifically for our models)

testpoint says
Try looking at the FAQ as a newbie, I have been reading it off and on for a week and everytime I go into it, I find something that I missed. Not complaining, just that it is hard finding everything you want, especially when I have 50 questions in my head (course that might be the problem).

Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Veteran member

It has grown quite a bit, and i imagine overwhelming for someone just starting out on here. Better to have too much than not enough resources in one place though...but do try your best in navigating.